iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I've been Doing, am Doing, and will be Doing

Started by Corley5, July 26, 2008, 12:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

This has been one busy and eventful summer thus far.  I'm gonna be a father again, I've been logging, processing firewood, haying and working 40 hours a week for the MDNR.  Due to the weather haying has drug on way longer than usual  ::)   I quite often meet myself coming while I'm going.  I baled the last of the hay last night and have those 50 bales to get undercover and need to clean the haybine and baler and put them away.  I got home from work this afternoon, switched on the Weather Channel to see what was coming, remembered I was mostly done with hay and took a nap  ;D ;D 
  I was planning to move the old Corley home and get it setup when I was done with my DNR duties the 8th of Aug.  Now it's gonna get a workout where it's at sawing out a new addition to the house.  A new addition to the family requires more room.  I ordered new exhaust gaskets for the mill's Minnie Mo power unit today.  I've got a new old manifold for it to replace the current busted/rusted one.  This way the smoke will go outside the building  ;) ;D  I'm going to order some new teeth for the saw from Menominee Saw Monday.  I had the blade hammered and only sawed a couple hundred board feet after that so I'm good there.  I'm going to pull the blades out of the edger and have them worked on.  They haven't been out in years and just don't get it done.  The outside blade that works with the fence, pulls and wedges the board tight.  I need that blade for sizing the 2Xs.  I also need to dig a bunch of accumulated sawdust from under the mill,  put the elevator back in and rewire it.  Some grease and oil and it'll be ready to saw.  I need to get my leaf blower fixed for cleanup duties  ;) :)
  I've got a clone of big tooth aspen all picked out to kill for the house lumber.  Nice trees and there should be enough of them big enough to get the required 2X10s for joist with plenty left for 2X6s and sheathing lumber.  I do need to figure out a materials list.  I've got trusses and metal roofing that I collected for the mill building that will instead go into the house addition.  Tenative plan is to go 28' which is the width of the house, 24' long and two stories.  This will double the size of what we've got now.  I may also go with a very partial basement to serve as a mechanical room.  I'm in no real hurry to get it finished just dried in for the winter.  I'll pull wire and insulate the first floor this winter while the structure dries down and start panelling and drywalling in the spring.  The 2nd story will wait for a while.  That's gonna be a master suite and MY den  ;D ;D  First on my agenda after wrapping up the hay will be to cut down the sugar maple I hang my bird feeders in.  Nice tree and I'll miss it  :(  I've got to do some measuring and if it works out I'll cut the stump as low as possible and build right over it.  Otherwise it'll be the start of the hole for the mechanical room ;)  ;D  That's what I've been doing, am doing and will be doing  :) :) :)  The rest of the summer and fall are going to be busy too.  I'll be ready for a Moultrie break in Oct  ;) ;D :) :)     
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dana

Well that explains why your dad was driving your tractor at the flywheel show yesterday instead of you. :)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteI'm in no real hurry to get it finished just dried in for the winter.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  That CLONE you spoke of. That IS a Clone of YOU, correct ???  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Warbird

Wow!  I don't feel quite so busy anymore.  Congrats on the baby!  When is the due date?

Now about that addition to the house because a new family member is on the way...  just how big do you expect this baby to be??!  ;D  Sounds like it'll be quite impressive.  You sound very busy but if you happen to have a digital camera with you along the way, some pics of the house building would be cool to see.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Warbird on July 26, 2008, 10:50:14 AM
Wow!  I don't feel quite so busy anymore.  Congrats on the baby!  When is the due date?

Now about that addition to the house because a new family member is on the way...  just how big do you expect this baby to be??!  ;D  Sounds like it'll be quite impressive.  You sound very busy but if you happen to have a digital camera with you along the way, some pics of the house building would be cool to see.

The addition is for the baby? I thought it was for the Harley. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Norm

Heck I thought Corley was finally going to make some nice storage for his tractor collection. ;D

I just came back from playing with my grandson, I sure do miss having ones that age around. :)

Now on the other hand I don't miss all the work they entail.  :D

Corley5

The kids are gonna get the north third of the existing part of the house and a larger living area in the new part.  I get the rest  ;) ;D  Once I get started pics will be forthcoming.  I might park the Harley in the new part for the winter just to say I did  8) 8)

Corley5

I did some measuring this evening after we got back from the tractor show and things are going to be slightly different dimension wise.  The house is actually 24' wide  ::)  It's been 14 years almost to the day since we built it  :)  The trusses I have are 30's.  Thirty one actually to allow for 6" walls and a 30' inside dimension.  I've got 15 of them which will give us a 28' building.  So I guess we're gonna have 28X30 addition  :) :)  The walls of the new add on will extend 3.5' beyond the walls of the original.  I want the roof peaks to match so snow and ice isn't dropping onto the lower roof from new one.
  An aspen clone is a group of aspen trees that orginated from a common tree.  Quite often all the trees will be a genetic match  ;) ;D ;D

Corley5

What's left of my bird feeder tree  :( and Zach for size comparison ;D ;D

After the stump came out they started digging the hole.  We were very concerned about the sides standing up.  It's been dry up here and the top layer of soil was running like water.  We hit a clay loam down a couple feet and everything is standing up pretty good

The finished hole and some of the 200 plus yards of dirt that came out of it

We finished this up this evening.  We're ready for mud which is coming Saturday morning at 8:30.  I've got the power trowel and vibra screed reserved and am picking them up Friday evening.  I've also got a couple extra bodies lined up  ;) ;D  The last pic shows our first cave in.  I hope the rest of it holds til Saturday.
  The final plan is 2 full stories 24' wide and 32' long with a 24'x24' 13 block basement.  I'm gonna be real happy when it's out of the ground.  I have no affinity for masonary  ;) ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

No, no new ones but I had to move two whacks of old ones  :D ;D  Zach has found some really nice Petoskey stones  8)

Don P

Cool, I've never seen one of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petoskey_stone

Nice looking hole. I'm always happy to get outta the mud. Be careful down in there.

Corley5

Corley5

Putting in the water/heat line from the furnace to the new part of the house

Corley5

We decided to add the outside basement entrance after we poured the slab and had just gotten started on the blocks.  Hopefully it'll stop raining tomorrow so we can get the block work done, get the steps built in it and the door on top.  Good way to use the extra blocks  ;) :)

The heat line is the one with bucket over it and the water line from the well is the other.  This area will be the mechanical room.  The heat pumps currently in the utilty room and the water pressure tank in the crawl space will be moved here  8) 8)

ronwood

Corley5,

Why do you use blocks for the basement wall verses pouring a concrete walls?

Looks good.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Corley5

Quote from: ronwood on September 30, 2008, 02:26:28 PM

Why do you use blocks for the basement wall verses pouring a concrete walls?

I think blocks are cheaper  ???  I didn't figure for poured walls but it would have taken longer to form the walls and pour a couple different days plus a pump would have been needed to reach the back wall.  We poured cores every 4' for added strength and put a rebar and anchor bolts in them.

Warbird

Very nice!  Is it possible to insulate inside the blocks once the wall has been put together like that?

Corley5

I think they can be filled with urethane foam  ???

Dave Shepard

Looks good Corley, how many pair of gloves have you worn out? :D

I see the delivery trucks got a pup trailer on it, you seldom see any pups around here, and only on log trucks. Do you put pups on your school buses too?  :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

I wore out a pair or two or maybe three  ;D  I hate blocks.  I'm pretty sure I handled them all three times and some five  :)  Aaron, the mason who I assisted with block doesn't wear gloves and he doesn't have any finger prints either  ;D     
  Putting in the foundation drain was the real work.  I hauled 6 yards of crushed stone into the hole with buckets and a wheel barrow.  I worked a couple hours evenings and some on weekends when I could and didn't think I was ever gonna get done.  I'm 99% percent sure that with my soil conditions and the tar on the block I'd never have moisture problems and more than once as I was wheeling and carrying stone I thought about saying to **** with it but I got it done  ;) ;D  I've got a French drain at the end where the tiles from the sides, floor drain in the mechanical room and drain in the entrance way end up.  It's 18' +- long, 3' wide and 2' deep full of crushed washed limestone.  Lots of wheelbarrow loads  :)
  Kids usually ride on our buses  ;D :D :)

Raider Bill

Theres nothing easy about anything made with concrete! :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

Nice hole you dug there.No rocks that I could see.Lucky you. We had to blast the cornor where we sleep in.Looks good.Keep the pictures coming.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Corley5

The hole looks the same as it has for the last year and a half plus  :)  Just not enough hours in the day to get everything done but due to cylinder head issue with my Iron Mule late in the winter which drug into early spring.......

It blew a head gasket and while it was apart I had the head reconditioned which took 5 weeks to get back from the shop instead of the 7-10 days I was intially told  >:(  After five weeks it was like putting a puzzle back together but I only had a few nuts and bolts leftover when I was done  ;D

At least I had Franky to fall back on.  I was able to keep up some production but I hate climbing on and basically falling off the thing to drag cable and deal with chokers.  I really like a forwarder.  The slow time gave me the time I needed to get the mill in shape to saw.  It's been about 4 years since I ran it last  ::)  So there were lots of things to do to it.

I got my H out for the 1st time since we ran the panelling for Jeff's guest house.  There are still planer shavings stuck in the grill.  I put a fresh battery and some gas in it and it fired right up  8) 8) 8) 8)  It's my edger tractor :)

Zach and I spent Wednesday afternoons and Sundays weather permitting fishing this winter too.  We didn't catch anything special but a always had a good time together playing with our toys 8) 8) 8)

The 1st thing I did to the mill was to replace the exhaust manifold on the G403 Minneapolis Moline power unit.

A new old manifold installed and the old one in the pieces it fell in to when it was removed.  It's nice to run the engine and have the smoke go outside the building now  8) ;D

The old skidway was falling down on not up to holding logs so it got rebuilt.  The sawdust elevator was reinstalled with new posts and wiring.

I replaced the blades in the edger with a set I sent to Menominee Saw for work.  It was quite a job.  They hadn't been out in many many years.  When we built this house in 94 they were dull I wanted to work on them but Grandpa said it was a "major overhaul" to get them out and work on them.  It wasn't really major but it took time  ;D :)  It's back together and ready to run.

I got the manure spreader out, replaced a shear bolt for the beaters and greased it.  The mill is all greased, and the saw is sharp.  Zach and I sawed a red pine log to test it out and it saws.  Zach was properly impressed to say the least.  It was the 1st time he remembers seeing it run and can't wait until we run it full day.  When he's older I won't be able to find him when it's time to run it  :)  Friday I cut the big tooth aspen that will be sawn into floor joist to get the addition started.  With any luck the plan is to saw them Friday  :) :)  So I guess being partly broke down for a few weeks wasn't a total loss  ;) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!