iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

road construction

Started by Splinter, July 25, 2008, 03:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinter

Back corner is a mile from the nearest landing. Looking to get dry/frozen log truck access to the woods out back. maybe 2000' of road.
Have a couple crossings (soft spots and a brook 6-8'wide) and a lot of bony ground to cover.
anyone have any roadbuilding suggestons?
any idea of cost?
Pitfalls?
Good woods road builders in southern NH?
No gravel on site.

Thanks

ibseeker

Sounds like you and I are facing similar challenges....between the beech control and road building. I've got about 1400' through some hilly terrain to build and found that road building is fairly expensive. I've thought of buying a D3 and a 10 yard dump and doing as much as I can myself. There's some local guys who can help with the technical advice. I figure that I can sell the D3 after and down size to something that I can work off road and not tear up the soil and forest too much.
The quotes I got from a small operator were about $800/day and he thought there were quite a few days involved. Renting a D3 was about $3,000/month and another $500 for delivery/pickup.

I might find a better deal soon if construction continues to decline but I might also be able to find a dozer cheaper too.

Have you talked to any local companies for quotes?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Brian Beauchamp

Of what is the bottom of your brooke composed...gravel, cobblestone, mud, shale, etc.? Is there an established crossing in place already that just needs stabilization or improvement? Also, a topo of the area would help as well. Have you looked into temporary crossings?

WDH

I am paying about $10,000 per mile to re-habilitate old washed out/wore out roads.  This includes replacing some culverts and regrading the slope of the road to get the water off. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!