iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tell em it's the ATF

Started by Sawyerfortyish, July 24, 2008, 06:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Got a call today from my fuel supplyer. He told me not be surprised if someone comes around and wants to look at our fuel. We buy off road fuel and pay a commerical tax on it. But I guess now off road fuel has to be clear instead of red. Our fuel guy said they recently have changed the parts per million of sulfer in off road fuel and now it has to be clear instead of red so if your fuel is red they can fine you. He told me to tell them I've had the fuel in the tank a while. I just remembered a thread a while ago about adding ATF oil as an additive. I bet if I tell them I'm useing Atf oil as an additive that'll shut em up for a while. I'm really not useing it and won't try it I'll buy the real stuff but you gotta tell these people something.

WH_Conley

I have been using ATF for years.
Bill

Ed_K

I just got off road Monday, it's 15 ppm sulfer and dyed red. I use power service.
Ed K

scsmith42

Here in NC, all off-road fuel is dyed red.  The color signifies that no road tax has been paid on it.

I've never heard of anybody buying off-road fuel and then paying a separate tax on it.  Who are you paying the tax to - your fuel supplier?  If so, he may be sticking the "tax money" in his pocket.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

Things are different in different States.  Some users pay taxes at different rates.  For instance, in Florida commercial fishing boats pay fuel taxes, but at a much lower rate than road users.  Operators of commercial equipment like construction equipment are supposed to keep track of their fuel usage and pay their taxes directly to the State Dept of Revenue.  Fuel dealers do not collect these taxes for the State the way they do for road fuel.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dutchman

Pa. has three grades now.
Over the road at any diesel pump.
Equipment, fuel plus tax. red
Home heating oil, no tax. red

Sawyerfortyish

I pay a .04 cent commerical use tax over the heating oil price and the fuel company does collect it. I know the two brothers personaly that own the fuel company and you would not believe how the state haunts these two guys for taxes and fines.  I don't know if it's just in this state or just here first about the offroad changing color but keep watching things are going to change. I can get fuel cheaper than most and my fuel comes right off a tanker to me so maybe you guys got to use up all the old stock before you get new I don't know. I use about 4 grand a month in fuel just for the mill. My fuel guy says that someone from the gov. has went to at least 7 of his customers and checked about fuel color so I have an answer for them. He also said that home heating oil will be the only thing colored red soon. How there going to tell if road tax is paid if the two colors are the same I don't know. My bet is that there going to charge the same for off road as on road guess I should buy some more ATF and bend over.Keep your eyes open the gov. looking for another way to give it us.

stonebroke

In NY you have to pay on road taxes and then apply to get your money back for offroad use. Pain in the you know what. There is supposedly wo grades now clear, for motors and red for homeheating . If you are caught with red in anything you are in big trouble. I think it is just another way for the government to get in your pocket.

Stonebroke

ely

the guys in oklahoma that are the corp. comm. they can tell the difference between ATF and off road fuel. the test it for sulphur content and write tickets accordingly. atf is fine but high sulphur will get you 5 k worth of greenstamps from the man.

Thank You Sponsors!