iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

#%&@! coyote

Started by flip, July 24, 2008, 02:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Well this is round 2.  Lori called me a few minutes after I got to work to inform me the coyote is back and has killed at least one chicken. >:(  This happened a few months ago in the middle of the day, this time about 8:00 in the morning.  Lori is not comfortable pulling the iron out on the beastie so she went out to chase it off, apparently it was not disuaded and decided to thin my flock some more. 
This bothers me in 2 ways.  One, the sight of a human did not scare it off and two it has happened durring the day.  I guess it is off to the out door shop to get a deek and a caller, I just got these birds in October and looks like I may need to order some more soon >:( >:( Grrrrr I hate vermin. >:(
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Don P

I hope she's at least packing it when she goes out there  :o
We had a local woman attacked by a rabid fox last week and it sent her to the ER with some bad cuts. It returned later in the day and drove the family inside as it banged its head against the door trying to get in. They finally dropped it. In broad daylight I would assume first and question the carcass.

maestro

Is there a state wildlife manager you could call?   Sounds like a problem animal that needs to be put down.  Multi offenders aren't given a second (third, forth....) chance and need to be taken out of the picture before they teach this hunting behavior to their offspring.  Livestock predation of any kind is bad but when you're not able to run it off, it's worse.  Good luck with this problem. 
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

rebocardo

> One, the sight of a human did not scare it off

I was thinking what the others did, rabid. When a wild animals ignores a person or chooses to confront them while on property, imho, it is time to kill them for your own safety. Only a matter of time before an animal like that starts on dogs, cats, and toddlers.

flip

Oh, I am so going to enjoy the hunt and putting some lead in this critters butt >:(  Game on starting today.

Don P

Its the wrong time of year but reminds me of a story.
Ken was out deer hunting one fine fall day. He was propped up under a tree when he was awakened by a racoon dive bombing him from out of the tree. He wrestled with the enraged critter and finally dispatched it. He took it in to confirm his worst suspicions. Turned out the coon was drunk on rotten apples.

SwampDonkey

I know a fellow whose dog got drunk on rotten apples, only the apples were used to make home brew.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

:D :D :D  I did battle once with a cow drunk on silo juice. :D :D  A fighting drunk doesn't give up easily.  I doubt rabies is the situation with Flip's coyote.  They get pretty brave here sometimes.  Deer too.  Faron'skid had a deer in her garden a while back that would just look at her when she went out to run it off.  The third time or so, it ignored her until the five kids came out after it, then it panicked and hasn't come back since.   :D :D  Animals ain't so dumb.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Sawyerfortyish

A few years ago mid day we were busy about some barn work and needed somthing from the house. About halfway from the house to the barn is the biginning of the sawmill yard and there sitting just like you would tell a dog sat a coyote. He let us drive right by 75' away and never payed any mind to us. But the trip back was a diferant story. The lead was flying and he only went a few feet. At close look he had no fur on a good portion of his carcus. Shoot,shovel,and shutup don't call anyone.

thecfarm

I just shot a coon the other day.Drove by it while on the tractor,probaly 100 feet away at high noon.Knew something was wrong.Jumped off the tractor and ran up tp the house.I did him a favor.It's face was half gone.I did not look long.It was not pretty.Into the furnace he went.
Now if I could be that lucky with the fox that ate my chickens.I like to have them free range.Makes good eating for the foxes around here.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

Rita carried a 357 when checking on the dry cows, coyote's like to help pull calves out  >:( .
Ed K

pigman

flip, the coyote came by here two weeks ago. He was heading west in a trot. It took him longer to get to your chicken pen then I thought.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

brdmkr

Flip,

You may be able to contact USDA Wildlife Services for some technical assistance.  Sometimes they will set traps for you if you will check them and there is no charge.  However, this varies from state to state.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Maineloggerkid

Dispatch it. Quick, easy, cheap, and it gets you wwarmed up for deer season. ;D
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SwampDonkey

I've got fox that will eat that scrawny coyote. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

flip

I keep the bow by the door (bedroom door that goes straight into the back yard where the chickens are) and the shotgun so I have the correct tool for the yardage.  I had a good size coon eating some corn I put out yesterday but was too slow on the draw.  He heard the cha-chunk from the slide closing on the 16 guage, his eyes got as big as dish plates and he took off (all I saw was a vapor trail) so the word in the coon community must be getting around.   Oh, I went and looked at electronic callers last night, holy cow $180 for just the caller, no remote or decoy. :(

Dan_Shade

get a distressed rabbit tape, and just play it on your stereo
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

flip

I think I may have done some good over the weekend.  Did some yard work Saturday morning, mowed the yard, trimmed and did the back field.  Got everything done I needed and went inside to shower up.  I come back out to the kitchen to get a drink and low and behold the edge of the field I just mowed there is a #%&@! yote sitting there watching the chickens.  Only thing I had sitting close was the 10/22 so I snuck out the side door and laid next to the A/C unit.  I dropped 2 in his chest and he flipped and flopped for a couple seconds and took off  >:(.  Saw a little blood but not enough for me to be sure it was fatal.  Took my chicken head count this week and I am missing at least a dozen since a month ago.  They are free to go were they want all the time so I guess durring the day he has been picking them off one at a time >:( 

Dan_Shade

you probably have more than one around...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

flip

Good, more excuses to shoot :)  ;).

Raider Bill

Try my new nail gun! :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

flip

I got a generic one like dat-it's the all black model, must be an import :-\

Raider Bill

flip

kinda like dat without all the fancy stuff.

Raider Bill

Got a green lazer on the other side and a night scope that I swap between it and a full size M-14. Sit on my deck in tenn at night plinking at Yoties!

flip

If I could do it over I would have gotten a heavy barrel flat top upper.  Right now it's a DPMS short with flat top and the front sight post.  Better yet I need something class 2 that I can screw on the end where the bird cage was. ;)

Raider Bill

They are nice and easy to add toys to but my Mini-14 marine shoots better.  I only bring my Bushmaster out at night in order to use the night optics. 350 yards across a ravine to a pasture.  When I put the night optics and green lazer on the big M-14 [.308] I can get 2 Wiley yoties sometimes before the sound of the first shot scares them away but that's at about 650 yards. ;D
I have those 2 yardages spotted ,marked and sighted into. That's where I set my bait.
It's neat putting the green light on them for a while as they don't seem to see it.

ely

i can't gaze that long at a time with the green lit scope, it makes my eye do crazy stuff , so i keep it short and sweet.

Raider Bill

Just got to take your time between shots /drinks, relax your eye. My friend that's building a cabin on the property acts as my spotter with my optics. He won't shoot but will find em, I just sit back, relax enjoy the stars and dream about getting a Barrett someday until he spots some movement. Works for me and the farmer that owns the target land loves it! He even supplies the bait. 8)
I don't have anything they would bother except my litte dog. It's just fun.

flip

rebocardo

See the story about the woman in FL that got attached by a fox, so the husband shot it ... and her?  :o

Fox is being tested for rabies, husband will be tested for life insurance, because he will need it once she gets out of the hospital  :D

Raider Bill

I wonder......... was that friendly fire?

Thank You Sponsors!