iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry firewood

Started by Neil_B, June 15, 2003, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

My last few loads of timber for firewood have had some cherry in it. I just realized today after it's all gone, that maybe I should have separated it for sale as fireplace wood. Is this one of the fragrant woods that people like to burn in the open fireplace? What others are also preferred so I don't give them away as well :o?
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Tom

I don't know about fragrance but there is a lot of heat in cherry.  I try to keep a little of it around the bar-b-cue pit, split up into kindling sized pieces or smaller.  I cook on Oak and use Cherry, Hickory and bay for "sweeting".  A little on the fire imparts good flavor

Perhaps you could find a market like that and really get some $'s per ton. :D

Ron Wenrich

Cherry, and sassafras are aromatics.  You're probably out of the sassafras range.  Hickory is a good one to keep to the side for smoking meat.  You can get a few extra $ for it.  Black birch might be another aromatic.  I've never burnt it.

I know one guy who used to take the aromatics and make shavings.  He dried and sold them to pet stores.  Eastern red cedar, cherry and sassafras were the ones he used.

I remember seeing an article where you could add certain chemicals to the wood to get different colors of flame.  I often thought that might be a useful gimmick, especially around the holiday season.  If I recall, copper gave off a green flame.  There were also others for blue and red.

But, you should probably sell them as packaged firewood.  Usually that's around 1 cu ft.  They sell packaged stuff for about $4-6.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Neil_B

Poop! I got rid of a bunch of hickory too. :'(
$4-6 a cuft :o. I probably got rid of 2 bush cord of the stuff total. 256 cuft x $5 = $1280 :'( :'( :'( :'( :o :o
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Neil_B

Excellent site. Thanks Woodmills.

shopteacher

Got to print that info out and keep it handy for the guys who come around and know all there is to know about firewood. Thanks James.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Sawyerfortyish

I keep all the sassafras for myself and friends for Christmas also split up a little red cedar. The black birch Ron talks about is sweet birch I don't know if it grows that far north.I had a discussion with Gene over on that other forum about black birch. The black birch in Maine is a differant birch than what we have. I used to smoke all of our meats with black birch and sassafras it's not quit as bitter as a hickory smoke. I have a couple customers that come for a trunk full of black birch and cherry at Christmas. I always get a little more $$ for it
 If you can get into the package wood you can sell a cord for 3-400$ but it's got to be bone dry. Then the problem is delivering a few packages to this store and a few to the next town and so on

Ron Wenrich

Black or sweet birch betula lenta has a range of the Appalachian Mountains with a strip in southern Michigan.  That includes an area of southern Maine.  

I don't see what the difference would be unless it is a difference in calling another birch a black birch.  Regional names can get to be confusing.

woodmills1

my woods is predominantly oak but there is a lot of black birch in at least two parts as well as a sprinkling of yellow.  There seems to be quite a few paper birch of large diameter on the north facing hills.  the black is very sweet smelling.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawyerfortyish

The guy i was talking to in Maine said that the black birch around him never got bigger than 6" dia I don't know what part in Maine this guy was from but Gene over on woodweb  said that black birch was not the same birch we have.

Ron Wenrich

The small size could be from a variety of factors, including temperature and soil.  That part of Maine might be on the outskirts of the range and the trees are really stressed.

There is also a gray birch that grows on abandoned farmland and poor soils in New England area.  It doesn't grow all that tall, and grows up to about 15" dbh.  

Sawyerfortyish

Gray birch is what I think they called it Ron

Thank You Sponsors!