iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

adjusting planer knives

Started by kelLOGg, July 21, 2008, 05:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I am trying to find dial indicator suitable for setting the knives in a Powermatic 160.
I thought I saved a website a year ago with such but I cannot find it now. Can anyone recommed a source?

Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

sawwood

Bob oneway has a specal jig with a dial indicator on it  foe setting blades. www.oneway.ca

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

woodhick

woodcraft store offer  a jig that will do it for a reasonable price.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4973

There are several others that may have them like Rockler, Eagle America.  Do searches for knife jigs on their websites.
Powermatic made one that went with their planers.  It is basically a u- shaped cradle that holds a dial indicator.  I have seen other brands made the same way but where escapes me right now.  I have the powermatic one and it works great.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

tim1234

Are you looking for a dial indicator or magnetic knife setting jig? 

Grizzly has a bunch of different dial indicators including one for setting up a planer.   They call it a rotocator.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

woodmills1

I have a powermatic jig with dial indicator that works on my belsaw.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jdtuttle

Woodmaster has an easy to use jig that should work.
jim
Have a great day

junkyard

Old woodworking Machines has a video on setting knives onthere site. They also show home made jigs to hold the dial indicator.
                 Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

jason.weir

If you want it right follow Bob Vaughan's Video, it takes some time the first time but well worth it..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-986589700074242027&hl=en

-Jason

kelLOGg

Thanks for all the responses. After watching the Utube video (thanks, Jason) I decided to get just the indicator (which I got at Sears) and make my own cradle/holder for it. Actually, I'll probably end up making a variety of cradles for various needs.
I'm going to hold on the that video because its packed with info.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

That video was great. As well, it leads to a site where several other videos are located that appear to be a wealth of information.   Thanks for the tip.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!