iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic pump leaking

Started by redneck, July 28, 2008, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck

i have a 208 timberjack skidder with a 353 detroit it works great  and was dry untill my hydraulic pump started leaking.    The pump works fine, lot of power, its just weeping and making a mess of the engine..     I am assuming that the pump is wore and needs at least a new bearing and seal.  does anyone know if they have had any luck with rebuilt pumps or weather i should just buy a new one.??  not interested in buying a used pump

thanks
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Gary_C

I think it depends on the pump and the rebuilder. I personally have not had good luck with rebuilds but I know others that have had good luck. Seals are always a question mark on rebuilds, especially if the shaft is not replaced or resleeved. It is not a job you should do yourself.

If you do go with a rebuilt pump, make sure you read all the fine print in the warranty as I've had some tractor hyd pumps that failed and no warranty coverage because their shop did not install the rebuilt.

We do have a sponsor on the forum that does hydraulic work in their shop. Contact Eggimann and see if they can help you.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

TeaW

redneck,
My advice (advice is cheap) find out the the price of a new pump. Use the skidder untill you can  not stand the amount of oil you are going through. Buy the new pump and you will be ? happy ?relieved?
I have been there , it's not as bad when there are no other choices.
TeaW

redneck

thanks for the advice others are telling me that for the $800 for a new pump its not worth rebuilding for $350 as there is no warranty.  and the new pump should last the life of the old machine  for me.

208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Thank You Sponsors!