iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAFETY GLASSES!

Started by thedeeredude, July 19, 2008, 09:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

Please, wear safety glasses when using any machinery.  Just had to deal with a splinter right next to my eye for the past three days, not extremely painful but so ridiculously annoying I couldn't stand it anymore.  Now the corner of my eye is so stinkin' red I think McCarthy would probably label me a communist. :o  The corner thats sore hurts worse than where the splinter was.  I was only wearing eye glasses doing small parts on the table saw and must assume thats how I got it.  So, lesson learned, Wrap around or full shield safety glasses anytime around a machine. 

Dave Shepard

Glad you didn't have any permanant damage! I try very hard to always were safety glasses, but find I take them off for something, and then when I go back to doing what I need them for, I forget to put them back on. :-\ I wear Stihl safety sunglasses while outside, and some form of clear safety glasses inside. I find that the clear ones, at least the ones I have found available, are of low optical quality, and have various spots that are out of focus. smiley_headscratch I'm especially leary of the air nailer, which I've been using quite a bit lately.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dan_Shade

do any of you guys know of high quality safety glasses?

I find I get a headache with a lot of them, and only wear them when using power tools because they are so horrible to wear
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

tim1234

You can get some from many saftey supply stores like Lab Saftey Supply.

I have 24 pair.  I bought a dozen clear and a dozen sunglasses from Sam's club.  They are about a buck a pair and don't give me a headache (some have). 

The only thing is they don't cover the bottom of my eye as well as others.

Lab saftey supply seems to have pretty good prices and stock all kinds of models with interchangable lenses.  Just google them.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

thedeeredude

Do you normally wear glasses Dan?  I get a headache after using safety glasses because I use normal glasses all the time.  I've been trying to find a pair of prescription safety glasses that look nice, but its been hard so far.

Dan_Shade

I had lasik done a few years ago, but when I wore glasses I always paid to have quality lenses.  I had a pair of prescription safety glasses made at one point.  they're not going to look "good" because they have to be huge in order to safely cover your eyes.

I find the $10 junk ones at lowes to be terrible.

maybe I should go to an eye glass place and talk to them... 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Radar67

If you want a DanG good pair, check these out.

SAFETY GLASSES

A large majority of the soldiers I know will use only these.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

OneWithWood

I wonder what the civilian price is.  That surely is the government price  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

After 4 stitches in my left eye, I learned my lesson :) :) :) :) :) ::)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

There is this little bar on the side of the road, in the UP, where Jeff wants to buy a house that represents the community/town there.  It's called Goetzeville.  Jeff told us that we shouldn't go in there and call the place Goatsville because they will fight.  It's pronounced Getsville, or something like that. 

Marcel and I were riding around looking for something to do one day and thought maybe we'd go in there and ask them where Goatsville was.   A bar fight might have been fun what with everybody gone the other way, shopping or riding 4 wheelers, or visiting Lou. 

Just before we pulled in, we realized that we didn't have any safety glasses with us, so went on to another little town, down the road, and visited the most famous bathroom in the area, got some coffee and watched the women for a little while.

Ironwood

Saftey glasses laying everywhere, after one trip to the ER and the "oscillating " hicky jigger the doc used to remove the embedded metal that snuck past my ol pair. Never can have too many of those wrap around glasses laying around.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Corley5

I buy Wilson safety glasses both sun and clear from Grainger by the box.  They're cheaper that way and a box of sunglasses, 20 pair, lasts me a year.  A box of clear ones will last a couple.  I never used to think twice about using a grinder, skill saw etc without eye protection.  Now I've always got a pair handy somewhere  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Chuck White

When we got our sawmill, one of the first things we bought was a 1/2 dozen pair of safety glasses.
They were a little over a buck at the dollar store.
Within 2-3 minutes sawing the first log, I got a chip from the debarker, bounced right off the right lens.
Lesson learned:  Wear your safety glasses.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ohsoloco

This morning I'm going to make my third trip this week to the optometrist  :(  Last week I was picking away at the ground so I could level up a spot to lay some stone, and some stone chips flew into my eye.  Got all the pieces out that were on my eye, but a piece got up under my eyelid, and it's been bugging me all week.  They can't see it, and the first two attempts to get it out haven't worked...not even swabbing my eyelid.  Hopefully the third time is the charm.

At my first visit after telling my doc what happened his reply was, "so you weren't wearing safety glasses?"  And my reply was, "Actually I was, but they were on top of my head."  ::)  So, don't just wear your safety glasses....wear them over your eyes  :(

ely

been down several of those roads, just not toms road. i always am wearing some sort of eye protection. i have gotten into wearing my polarized fishing glasses for all purpose glasses. when i go in the shop i use regular clear safety glasses. those are one product they do not mind us stealing from work.
also tom, on a side note..........using the polarized glasses you can see through alot of the dark tint on the car windows today.

badpenny

I have a couple of sets of the wire mesh style of glasses from Bailey's, they tend to not fog up at all. They have stopped chips from Jessi's molder when making log siding. and work well under the face shield of my logging helmet system, by Husky.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

SwingOak

Sometimes I start working on something, and forget to put my glasses on, and it takes only a few minutes before and overwhelming sense of stupidity comes over me and I realize I'm not wearing safety glasses. I get mine from Grainger, or McMaster-Carr.

The other day, I was pulling nails out of a skid with a big wrecking bar. One nail flipped up off the bar and the point hit smack in the center of my right pupil and made a divot. I had to throw them out and get a new pair, but my eye was fine. It's things like this that reinforce the cumulative sense of stupidity that washes over me when I'm not wearing them.

I even wear them when I go bird hunting to protect me peepers from branches, sticker bushes, and getting shot; although technically I don't think it counts as getting shot when it rains down on you from afar...

Raider Bill

I think one of the worst things you can get in your eye is plywood chips. The glue and splinter combined make for a bad time.

A couple months ago I was bush hogging some trails. A peice of something knocked the lense out of my saftey sun glasses and broke them in half at the nose. There was a deep gouge on the left lense. I kept working without figuring I would grab another pair at the store. About 10 minutes later a branch whipped back on me and smacked my left eye real bad. It hurt for weeks. When it happened I swore I took the eye out.

I wore glasses all my life and always got saftey glasses but then had lasik so now I have to remember to put them on.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

JackSchaffer

Hi folks,

First post here.  I was going through the topics and came across Safety Glasses, and just had to weigh in.  I'm happy to hear that everyone wears them!  I still shudder when I think of the some of the stories from folks that didn't wear them when they should have.

If you could design a better pair of safety glasses for forestry & logging, what would you change about them? 

Thanks,
Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

WDH

Safety glasses what would never fog in high heat and humidity :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thedeeredude

Well blast WDH beat me to it :D  How bout ones that never scratch or they have a radio transmitter in them so you can remember where you set them down ;D

Dave Shepard

Welcome JackSchaffer! I love the Ben Meadwos catalog. 8) I think WDH has got the most important thing. I have many safety glasses, and the thing most likely to make me not wear them is when they fog up and I can't see. I just picked up a couple of pairs at the Stihl dealer this weekend. One clear, and one smoke tinted. I haven't worn them enough to tell yet, but the Stihl glasses seem to be of better optic quality with less fogging than the cheaper hardware store variety. The clear cheapies give me all sorts of distortion, which also leads to not wearing them.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

The best pair I have came with my DeWalt framing gun.  I've been guarding them carefully for over 4 years now.  They have a few scratches, but they still have the best quality optics of any of them.

Back in the 70s, the phone company suddenly issued safety glasses to everyone.  We had one guy who flatly refused to wear them, and he finally left.  Wouldn't ya know, he was the only guy we had who just had one eye. ??? ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JackSchaffer

Good input, thanks.

I've tried comparing the anti-fog qualities of most of the safety glasses we carry.  Some of them that have an anti-fog coating work okay, but it's not hard to fog them up out in a humid woods!  Cleaning a lens that has an anti-fog coating with an anti-fog wipe worked a little better. 

I can't say I've compared anti-scratch properties.  I usually either lose them or sit on them before the scratches get too bad. 

I'll check into some of the good ones mentioned. 

Jack Schaffer
Product Manager
Ben Meadows

SwampDonkey

Ones I use for brush cutting have mesh screen. You can't use goggle types or those hard plastic things unless your not human and don't sweat and steam in an out door environment with rain, high humidity and heat. Not just any mesh screen, a fine screen. Too course and the finer chips go right through. I also got some waste band and made a type of flexi-band strap to hold them on my face so the brush doesn't slap them off my face.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!