iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grading Hardwood Logs

Started by Good Feller, July 18, 2008, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

I was wondering if there is a log grading "bible" that has been published.  A book with everything about log grading including colored pictures of logs and defects.  If not, is there anything on the internet?    Thanks
Good Feller

Ron Wenrich

These seem to be pretty good:

Log grade link #1

Log grade line #2

And if you're into veneer, try this one:

Veneer grade link

Be aware that a lot of mills don't use the Forest Service log grades.  Some of them have made up their own, and buy accordingly.  Know your market ahead of time.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

VTLogSlayer

NHLA (National Hardwood lumber Association) makes an inspection training manuel that we use here at Paul Smiths College for our sawmill and lumber grading class.  This manuel has everything you need to grade hardwood lumber. 
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

beenthere

Good Feller
There are published Log grades and also Tree grades (based on the log grades).
As Ron pointed out, the publications show standard log grades that may not used by the buyers, however there are lumber yield figures for each of the log grades, by most species of hardwood logs, and by diameters of logs.

Allows anyone to grade a log, figure the yield in NHLA lumber grades, and from those yields get a pretty good estimate of log value based on lumber prices by lumber grade.

Log grading usually requires looking at least at the best three faces of a log.

The last log grade research done 1973 in the US Forest Service was out of the NE Exp Sta project in Princeton, WV. Referenced in the link #1 that Ron posted, as Rast, Sonderman, and Gammon. The yields are still valid as the lumber grades have not changed since then.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

We do have a tree value calculator developed from that research. 

https://forestryforum.com/calcs/treevalue.htm

But, although the grades haven't changed, there is a wide variability of any tree species within the range.  And, different cutting patterns will yield different sawn volumes and values.

I pretty sure that for the research all logs were sawn into 4/4 lumber.  There were no cants.  I don't know of too many mills that saw in those patterns.  So, the amount of 2 and 3 Common lumber would be greatly reduced.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

gaproperty

I am looking for an opinion what the log in the video is worth.  So this maple log is 8.5 feet long 3 feet in diameter.  Would it be veneer grade.  What could it be used for instead of just firewood.  Here is a video. Look at the first log that is pulled to the tractor using the winch.  This is the log I would like an opinion on as to what it can be used for other than firewood.

https://youtu.be/r0wcOHGX3RA

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

mike_belben

I havent encountered a sawmill that follows anyone elses rules.  For me to get veener on anything itd need to be 10'6 min.  THEY might be able to resell a shorter log to the veener buyer theyre yarding for.. But IM not gonna get their veneer price. 

I see some nice sawlogs but being 8fters puts them down to a 1com rate where i sell.  With that much diameter you might be able to get the scaler to bump them up a little higher. 

Theyre your logs.. Theyre worth what youll accept.  Trim them up nice and load them up, cruise over to the mill and say "whatll ya give for these?" before unstrapping.  They might overlook the length to buy the diameter.  Here id get .65/bf as 1com or 1.10/bf primeA.

If it measures 36" inside bark at the small end you got 512/bf doyle.

Praise The Lord

Clark

Quote from: gaproperty on July 08, 2017, 08:11:56 PM
I am looking for an opinion what the log in the video is worth.  So this maple log is 8.5 feet long 3 feet in diameter.  Would it be veneer grade. 

I didn't watch the video but based on the amount of heart I can see in the preview photo there is no chance it will ever sell for veneer.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!