iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutoff saw for slab wood?

Started by StorminN, July 16, 2008, 07:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 03, 2008, 06:47:58 AM
Have any of you guys built a shear to cut slab ,if you have hydraulics no big deal ,no teeth to sharpen and their quiet.Frank C.

I've been wanting to build one of these.  Even one that I could cut chunks of wood fast that could be use to fuel a wood gasser.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

beenthere

Interesting cut-off saw and splitter. At the speed shown in the video, the guy is going to freeze to death waiting for it to buck the log, and split the piece. Looks entirely too weak in the knees to last very long.

But interesting just the same, and glad you posted it.

Curious about the wood shear...as slicing across the grain of wood, as in a slab or a log, takes a lot of power and a pretty sharp, strong blade. There are some log shears out there, but thinking they work just for some of the softwoods.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

I couldn't get those videos to play, but from the size they looked kind of slow. A guy can always built up on power.

On the shear- I've been thinking more of a guitine(sp) as in french with a big heavy head cuttin' off type blade.  Pure mass would slice through small daimeter logs and branches like butter for making chunk wood blocks for a wood gassifier.

Do think one for firewood logs would definitly have to be beefy.

StorminN

If I had the money, I think I'd get one of those Chomper firewood processors... it's a shear-based one... if you haven't seen it, check it out... very impressive.

For now, the direction I'm going with this cutoff saw is I've mounted a chain bar to an old electric chop saw head. It's a complete rough draft, just something I slapped together in a 1/2 hour... I wanted to see if the chop saw motor would be strong enough to pull the chain, and it is. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

bandmiller2

Have any of you guys noticed the shear junk dealers use to cut long pieces to #1,its just a massive cast iron shear that runs constantly you feed into it.Have a belt feeding it at the right speed and let her go you'd have some a little shorter than the outhers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jpgreen

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 28, 2008, 06:54:53 AM
Have any of you guys noticed the shear junk dealers use to cut long pieces to #1,its just a massive cast iron shear that runs constantly you feed into it.Have a belt feeding it at the right speed and let her go you'd have some a little shorter than the outhers. Frank C.

Where can I see a pic of one of these, or what would they call that?  This is what I need to make chunks.

When you say "cut long pieces to #1",  what is #1? Rebar?

The only thing I've been able to find like this is a Laimet screw auger chipper and they are $20,000.

jpgreen

Quote from: StorminN on August 28, 2008, 04:24:37 AM
If I had the money, I think I'd get one of those Chomper firewood processors... it's a shear-based one... if you haven't seen it, check it out... very impressive.

For now, the direction I'm going with this cutoff saw is I've mounted a chain bar to an old electric chop saw head. It's a complete rough draft, just something I slapped together in a 1/2 hour... I wanted to see if the chop saw motor would be strong enough to pull the chain, and it is. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

-Norm.

Sounds great...  8)

StorminN

Here's the video page for the Chomper...

Chomper video page

Here's a pic of the "rough draft" of what I've got going... this was just a quick & dirty check to see if the motor was strong enough to spin the chain well... (it did). I'm going to remove the handle and bolt another arm on the other side (left side of pic)... again, this was just a test.

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

bandmiller2

JP,what I was refering to is #1 prepared steel i believe thats under 4'.I don't know the proper name every junk yard around here has at least one.Stop by any old junk yard and ask,mayby bring a slab or two and try it.I have never seen a new one probibly OSHA put them out of business.Frank C.

redprospector

Quote from: StorminN on August 28, 2008, 04:24:37 AM

-Norm.
Norm,
I've got a 14" Chomper. The only thing it realy dosen't like is old dry brittle wood, just kinda shatters it (makes good kindling though  :D). The shear could be made pretty easily for chomping up slabs. Most wood will shear cross grain a lot easier than people think.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

gizmodust

Quote from: cheyenne on August 27, 2008, 08:19:19 PM
check out baileys they have what they call the smart holder for firewood for $100 bucks and it's the slickest tool i have. load it up with slabs, chop with chain saw. works great and it folds up for storage
I built one of these last fall, before Baileys offered it.  Difference is mine will take 2 12 slabs at a time.  If you're man enough to put it in, it'll hold it.  When I saw the one in Baileys, I snickered to myself.  A lot of good ideas coming in though.  It might take a bit to wrangle out the best one.
Always liked wood with alot of character

cheyenne

BUT YOU AND I BOTH KNOW IT'S BETTER THAN SPENDING $ 5,000 GRAND OR BETTER.
Home of the white buffalo

jpgreen

Quote from: gizmodust on September 01, 2008, 06:45:11 PM
Quote from: cheyenne on August 27, 2008, 08:19:19 PM
check out baileys they have what they call the smart holder for firewood for $100 bucks and it's the slickest tool i have. load it up with slabs, chop with chain saw. works great and it folds up for storage
I built one of these last fall, before Baileys offered it.  Difference is mine will take 2 12 slabs at a time.  If you're man enough to put it in, it'll hold it.  When I saw the one in Baileys, I snickered to myself.  A lot of good ideas coming in though.  It might take a bit to wrangle out the best one.

Can you post a pic of your holder?

cheyenne

Home of the white buffalo

bandmiller2

JPGreen,tell us about your wood gassifier,are you running an engine or just heat??Frank C.

MaddiesDad

That or you could put a 30" saw powered by something like 15 HP electric motor on a hyd cylinder.  The cylinder is tripped by either a timer or (on ours) a prox switch that is tripped by one revolution of the belt.  They both have their pros and cons, etc. 
I also saw one that was a gas powered circle saw that was on a timer.  Every 15 seconds or so it'd chop. 
I've got some pictures if you want.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im building a foot operated honda 10hp 26"saw under table docking/chop saw in the next 4 to 6 weeks ill post some pics if you want. Its going to cost under $1800.

Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jpgreen

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 02, 2008, 05:45:00 AM
JPGreen,tell us about your wood gassifier,are you running an engine or just heat??Frank C.
Hi Frank,

I have yet to build one.  It will run a gas or diesel engine.  You can look up Paul H's post on the truck he built over in the alt energy forum...  :)

jpgreen

Please post all pics on your saws!!...  8)

Thank You Sponsors!