iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hahsa outdoor woodstove

Started by twobears, July 16, 2008, 02:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

has anybody ever built a hahsa outdoor woodstove?? you can find info on it at motherearthnews.com. it,s a outdoor woodstove but,it uses sand instead of water to store heat.it has a heat exchanger made out of copper and cpvc pipe that picks up the heat and rans it into the house as hot water heat.
my dad bought the plans years ago but never built it.he,s thinking about doing it now and so am i.
but,we are thinking about doing it with a twist..a solar twist.we,de like to build the stove and some solar hot water panels and tie them together.the stove/sand would store the heat up here it gets pretty cold in the winter (minus 30/40 below at times) we,re thinking the solar could take care of the fall and spring weather/temps and if it couldn,t keep up we could build a woodfire to heat things up.
we,ve been loooking into solar heat the past month or so and one thing we thought about was hooking into a outdoor stove with water..then dad remembered he had the hahsa plans..so,we,re thinking about using that..it,s simple to build and we think it would last better then a stove with water in it...ideas?? opinions??.

delbert

slowzuki

I've read a review of one that someone built and they were not impressed.  I think it was Steve Redmond, the guy that started then abandoned the VTHR Green Chip Furnace.  They put the green chip furnace inside the old mother earth furnace.

stonebroke

I remember they used to sell the doors and they had one version that you could throw whole pallets in it . I also think somebody said he could burn whole railroad ties in his. yuck.

Stonebroke

egs

I built one about 20 years ago. It worked for less then one year when I developed a leak. had to break a hole on the side and emplty about 15 tons of sand. Found and fixed the broken pipe. Shoveled all that sand back into the unit, ran less then a year and another leak. Had to repeat the process. Ran less then one more year and developed another leak and that is where it is at now. A useless cement block building in my back yard. If you or anyone where to build one I would not use pvc. I would make it all of copper. All my leaks where broken pvc pipe. It didn't melt, just broke. It worked well when it worked, but it was a lot of time and money and effort and I did not get my monies worth. Nice to have the wood and mess and fire all outside, with ability to burn anything.

Thank You Sponsors!