iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What clamps?

Started by Brad_bb, July 16, 2008, 11:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

What type of clamps are best for... clamping braces to timbers to work on them? For clamping strongbacks on bents for raising?  Brand and size would be helpful.   I don't own any clamps now and need to start getting some for bracework and other smaller stuff first, and eventually for the strongbacks.  Woudl large C clamps be better for the latter?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

witterbound

Pipe clamps I think.   I don't think the pipes need to be more than 24 inches. For clamping corners of a bent while raising, I've seen folks use a couple of 4 ft oak 3x3s or 4x4s, held together with an allthread.  Worked well from what I could tell

Jim_Rogers

When I was in Mississippi last March one of the student brought in a Irvin clamp and it was one of the nicest clamps I have used:

I said to them if I ever buy new clamps, this type and brand would be one of my first choices.

At Fox Maple, several years ago, I watched them add clamps and stiff backs to this frame for raising it late one Saturday.

You can see that they need to be long enough for you to clamp the stiff back and the timber.

Hope that helps....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raphael

I'd use very different clamps for holding down timbers while I work on the than I would for strongbacks.

I've got some long quickgrips and longer cheap Pony steel bar clamps I use when cutting (see Jim's top picture).  I like the quickgrips for their ease of use but the length limits the total depth of timber you can clamp.

I wouldn't trust them in a strongback, that's belt and suspenders territory.   Hi threads self piloting contruction screws plus strapping (and strong C clamps where possible).
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Ironwood

The blue and silver are THE best ones made like that(very powerful compared to the older ones). I can't speak to appropraite use for timber framing.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Don P

Don't forget to tie clamps off that will go overhead  ;). I use the quickgrips most often for little stuff and various pipe clamps for bigger stuff. The deep jaw reversable pipe clamps are nice but I do take the little butterfly thumbscrews off of them with the hammer claw pretty often.

moonhill

Clamps for strong backs sounds bad.  If they come off the whole thing goes.  I use ratchet straps and pads for protecting the timber.  The strong back is slung prior to fitting so when it's in position the crane can hook onto it and we release the straps. 

I make a simple jig the brace fits into.  A couple of stickers screwed down on each side of the brace and a bar clamp to hold it from going back and forth.  Set it up so each end is exposed and you don't have to touch it, but to flip it to size the non-reference side.  Some wedges to jam the loose fitting ones.  Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Brad_bb

Tim, you have a pic to go along with that description?  It would help. Thanks.

moonhill

No pictures Brad.  It's a simple thing though.  Tim

matt eddy

i use the yellow ratchet straps for all my strong back clamping.  I had a clamp fall off once during raising it hit a guy on the head.  if you do use clamps during raising make sure everyone has a helmet on.  actually you should always have a helmet on.  for braces i make a jig to hold them so no clamp is necessary.  clamps can be slow when production cutting of braces is being done.
matt

Don P

The dangling straps here are around a strongback on the back of the bottom chord spline joint.
I used allthread and scrap steel and also lashed the angle iron, using it as a strongback as well.

Its all lashed safely so there would be no headaches. That horizontal piece you see behind the kingpost is a 4x4 that somehow got put on the strongback before or during the tip up and laid up there unnoticed for several days. It was locust  ::).

An impact wrench, some long lags and scraps can make some pretty effective clamps. The temp bracing on the posts are horizontals with the angled braces forming rigid triangles, all quickly lagged together and disassembled easily later.
We also use opposing wedges with shims, stops or whatever pretty often to snug things up.

Brad_bb

When in my class, we put strongbacks on both sides of the bent, 2X10 boards, as shown below.  They were clamped in place with bar clamps.  There were also nylon web straps with come alongs, criss crossing the truss to posts. The bent was then lifted by the crane using nylon web straps around the truss section.  I am posting this because it  did not seem that you applied your strongbacks this same way.  Anyway, this was the point of view I was starting from.

swampfox

Bessey Timber Framing Clamp.  Spike on one end very helpful for non exposed faces.

moonhill

GRK lag screws make good clamps.  Tim B.

Thank You Sponsors!