iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to test an air dried stack for moisture content

Started by mmhailey, July 16, 2008, 05:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

OK... I have a stack of rough cut hemlock 2x12s stickered and stacked in the barn. The stack is 4 foot wide by 5 foot tall, and 14' long. I want to use the wood for framing material, and have access to a decent moisture probe. The wood has been stacked for 6 weeks, with a fan going 24-7.

I was thinking of selecting a couple dozen of the boards and marking them and keeping track of their moisture content, by sticking the probe in from the ends. Does this sound like a feasible method? Or is the answer the one I don't want to hear... :-\  That the only way is to unstack and check the board faces to make sure the moisture level is OK
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Tom Sawyer

If the wood has been drying for 6 weeks in a barn with a fan blowing and you are just using it for framing, I wouldn't even bother testing it.  Just use it.

Tom

woodmills1

I would say use ithe wood as is.  I don't think you can use the meter on end grain.  You can probably pull out a board from the side to check.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mmhailey

The framing is going into an enclosed crawl space, so moisture is a concern.

I tumbled through a few boards this afternoon, and the moisture ran from 18-35% in a couple dozen tests. I think I'll let it dry for another couple of months, and then unstack and use the drier ones for my floor joists, and save the rest for a project next spring.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

solidwoods

You could restack it right next to the existing stack.
Sticks 1.5" tall
2x the lumber thickness, space between the boards.
Stack the old stacks outside boards on the inside of the new stack.
MC check the inner boards as you go.

Pin type meters check the face (or edge of thick material), pins go perpendicular to the grain, stay away from the end 1' and the end grain.

You can use 2 stainless steel nails with covered/protected wire to make a Pin Remote check site.  Just check the mc at the area, install the nails to same depth.
Center vs. outer shell will give different readings sometimes and dry at different rates, the management of the dry rate between core and shell is important in some woods,, not hemlock though, its easy to dry.
Run the wires outside the stack (or kiln) for mc checking.

Also if you have log run lumber you may be able to sort out a few prime clear boards so if you have leftovers they could be made into ? outdoor furniture

::)And vent that crawlspace.
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

alsayyed

hello I have question what is the temperture should read  in the klin. The more hotter is better for drying wood. My Klin is wired for two ocilating fan and with temperture arount 120 - 130F iinside the klin s ok or shall I have to install another fan.

Thank You Sponsors!