iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Impacts Publication

Started by Ron Scott, July 14, 2008, 06:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

DEER IMPACTS PUBLICATION FROM THE US FOREST SERVICE

"Impacts of White-Tailed Deer Overabundance in Forest Ecosystems: An Overview" was published with a June 2008 date.  It's from the USFS NE Area State & Private Forestry office in Pennsylvania.  It's short, concise, and covers many of the topics presented at the Michigan SAF conference in 2005 (and even contains a citation from that conference, cites the MSAF deer policy statement, and cites several speakers that were at the 2005 conference).  It's now posted on the MSAF website from both the home page and the deer conference "tour".   Incidently, the Wisconsin SAF approved a deer position statement in March 2007 [ http://www.wisaf.org/policy.htm], also cited in the USFS publication. 

~Ron

routestep

Back in the 1990's I had planted various types of trees on my wood lot up in Maine. The forester I worked with told me it wasn't a good choice to plant hardwood seedling because of deer browsing and rabbits. Not wanting a monoculture I planted a suppliment to his spruce planting on my lot anyway . The deer browsed on everything and the rabbits nipped all sorts of seedling off a few inches above the ground.

I talked with a Dept of Inland Fisheries and wildlife rep and he told me to plant something the deer would like better than my trees - clover.  So, I have a little half acre plot for deer browse, but they still eat what they want.

Ed

Every single tree that I plant has to be fenced off or in a tree tube. Same thing goes for trees that come up on their own.
Better safe than sorry.

Ed

OneWithWood

Shoot the doe and leave the bucks to grow. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

BCCrouch

Sounds like you could use one of the "earn a buck" programs whereby hunters are required to kill a doe and present it at a DNR check station before they're allowed to purchase a hunting permit for antlered deer.  I'd certainly support such a program here in Michigan.  As foresters we raise too many deer and too few trees...   :-\
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Thank You Sponsors!