iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setin' up the new Planer

Started by tim1234, July 11, 2008, 09:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

Got my Grizzly G0453 with the spiral cutterhead.  Boy that thing is heavy :o

I just got it all cleaned up and installed the 220V outlet in the garage.  Fired it up today and noticed something right away.  It's real quite even when cutting.  I also noticed some indentations in the wood (hickory).  They are caused by chips getting caught under the outfeed roller and being crushed into the wood (keep in mind this is HICKORY).  I'd hate to see what it would do to pine.

Anyone have any ideas as to why.  I have a small 110V dust collector connected.  Could it be the dust collector is not big enough, or are there some adjustments that I can do to the planer to reduce the chips or direct them into the collector better.

Any thoughts ???

BTW it does leave a real good finish...except for the indentations.  And no snipe 8)

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

pigman

You need a larger dust collector. My Woodmaster with the regular head left the same dents until I hooked it to the 3hp dust collector. I would like to have the spiral head for my Woodmaster, maybe someday.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

8) 8)  Congratulations!

Yeah, it's your collector not picking up all the chips.  The same thing is happening to me with my wimpy little collector.  It's like a snowball rolling down a hill.  First, you get a nice big planer, then you need a new dust unit, then a bigger jointer, on and on... ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

You have the classic example of an undersized collection system. And as you surmized, getting them redirected away from the roller will help too.

In the manual, under trouble shooting, it says something about adjusting the chip breaker deflector. That too might help.

edit: chip breaker was not right. ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tim1234

That's what I was afraid of.  I just looked on the web and it looks like a 2 hp collector for about $250 and a 3 hp for around $450.  Can't do that right now :(  What do you guys think is the minimum size for this planer.  I think if I size for the planer, the collector should be able to handle anything else I throw at it.  I don't have the collector permanentely plumbed in.

I'll play around tomorrow.  I have a homemade cyclone seperator in-line and some old dryer hose for  lines.  If I take out the seperator and get some smooth wall pipe, I might get by.

Tim

treenail

Your going to find that a larger dust collector will work wonders, as well as adjusting the chip breaker. Once I did those things when my grizzly 20" was still new, never had any problems with it again.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

tim1234

There is a chip deflector that keeps the chips from coming down the back side of the cutter head in front of the outfeed roller and then there is a chip breaker.  The chip breaker needs a rotocator or some sort of measurement tool to adjust. 

Are you guys talking about the delector or the breaker.  I can understand what the delector is but I don't know what the chip breaker does.  The defector is supposed to be 1/16" of an inch from the cutter if you don't have a dust collector or 1/4" if you do.  I've got it at 3/16" but I thinking of setting it to 1/16" and give it a try.  It worked better at 3/16" and the dust collector right next to the planer without the homade cyclone seperator in line.

The new dust collector will have to wait a while.

Tim

low_48

I've never heard of a chip breaker limiting chips from getting stuck around the head and outfeed roller. Do Grizzly planers really have chip breakers? Doubt it. Here's a good link that shows a cross section of an industrial thickness planer. http://www.majorpanic.com/thicknesser.htm
As the stock feeds into an industrial thickness planer, the board contacts the infeed roller, pressure bar, cutter, chip breaker, then outfeed roller. A good planer also has bed rollers for the stock to ride on and they are directly below the infeed and outfeed rollers.

beenthere

tim
It is the chip deflector that keeps the chips from dropping down on the outfeed roller. Page 36 in the manual mentions it and shows how to adjust it to the specs you mentioned. Your cyclone might work fine if adjusted to the 1/16" suggested for no collector. 

I miss-spoke when I said the chip breaker in previous post. Sorry for the misleading comment.   ::) ::) :-X
:)

The chip breaker is discussed on page 33 of the manual. And there is one.. :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tim1234

Quote from: low_48 on July 13, 2008, 11:04:41 PM
I've never heard of a chip breaker limiting chips from getting stuck around the head and outfeed roller. Do Grizzly planers really have chip breakers? Doubt it. Here's a good link that shows a cross section of an industrial thickness planer. http://www.majorpanic.com/thicknesser.htm ....... A good planer also has bed rollers for the stock to ride on and they are directly below the infeed and outfeed rollers.

Low_48,

Yes the grizzly does have a chip breaker.  The pressure bar seems to be on the infeed side and not on the outfeed side on my planer different from the diagram on your link.  Even with the picture, I still don't understand what a chip breaker does.  Also the G0453 does have bed rollers.

Quote from: beenthere on July 14, 2008, 12:02:28 AM
tim
It is the chip deflector that keeps the chips from dropping down on the outfeed roller. Page 36 in the manual mentions it and shows how to adjust it to the specs you mentioned. Your cyclone might work fine if adjusted to the 1/16" suggested for no collector. 

I miss-spoke when I said the chip breaker in previous post. Sorry for the misleading comment.   ::) ::) :-X
:)

The chip breaker is discussed on page 33 of the manual. And there is one.. :) :)

Beenthere,

No problem, just tryin to figure out what everything is and what it does.  I will try the 1/16" setting and see if it works. If you can use the planer without a collector, you would think it would work with a collector.  I'll try that experiment and see if it works.

Tim

tim1234

Guys, would this dust collector do the job ???

Tim

Larry

That looks like the GO-SUCK model.  I'm planing to buy it equipped with an automatic off/on switch and the .0004 super micron filter. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

davemartin88

Did you try it without the collector hooked up other than something to deflect the chips downward- a bit messy but I've used my planer outside a few times and just let the chips fly and it worked fine? Just a thought.

tim1234

Quote from: davemartin88 on July 19, 2008, 07:45:06 AM
Did you try it without the collector hooked up other than something to deflect the chips downward- a bit messy but I've used my planer outside a few times and just let the chips fly and it worked fine? Just a thought.

Dave,

I've done that too, but only with my portable Delta 22-540 lunch box planer.  My new 675 lb beast can't make the trip outside.  Even though it's got a mobile base, I've got a gravel drive.

I have considered putting some tarps down in the garage and hanging some sheets or something from the ceiling to make a kind of easy to clean room, but I'm going to try some smooth wall pipe and minimum gap on the chip deflector to see if my 1 hp collector can handle it.  I might get some time to try it today.  We'll see how I do on the honey do list today :D

Tim

tim1234

I just got done adjusting all the rollers, bed and chip breaker on my planer.  I watched the video on the other planer link which was very helpful.  I borrowed a dial indicator from work and made up one of those jigs to hold the indicator.  Worked great.

One interesting thing is I kept looking for the pressure bar.  Mine doesn't have one.  I assume because of the spiral cutterhead, you don't need a pressure bar.  Since there are essentially no gaps between cutters, you always have a cutter in the wood ???

I am going to make another cyclone seperator with an improved design and shorten the hoses.  I also adjusted the chip deflector to the minumum.  Hopefully this will help.  I'll get to run it tomorrow.

Tim

ADAMINMO

You might try to change the pulleys on blower to speed the bloer fan up. This will give you a little added suction but not much. It may give you enough to get you by till a new one can be put in.
Adam

Thank You Sponsors!