iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Logging Helmet System

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, July 09, 2008, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Howdy all,

I've been using the regular Stihl Helmet, Face Screen & Muff system for some time now and I've got no complaints.  However, I will soon be handing the helmet over to my wife and getting a new rig for myself.

So ... I'd like to hear from the folks on the board.  Which helmet system do you like best?

It's a bit more expensive, but the new Rockman Lumberjack System (from Bailey's) looks interesting ... 
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

WildDog

I am no logger but have the proffessional Stihl with the peltor type muffs and a new Husqvarna Helmet, I prefer the Husqvarna mainly because of the difference in ear muffs the Stihl has perforated sponge rubber inserts compared to the Husky's solid density, it might be just me but the Husky seems to cut the noise out more and the solid foam doesn't hold water when wet. My Stihl has one muff that springs back out at the slightest touch, I can't seem to fix it. The Husky's face shield is cut away at the bottom to acccomodate for tilting your head down, I also found the sheep skin type brow band on the Stihl to get itchy after awhile.

I had a look at Baileys Rockman it certainly looks like a good product.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for your time, WildDog.  It's certainly not a requirement to be a logger for this one.  Obviously, anyone who has experience with saws and helmets will know which one works best for them ... ;)
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

cuttingman423

i have the  Husqvarna  helmet with face screen and ear protection and i agree it cuts out alot of noise . the price isnt bad for it either.

Maineloggerkid

I have tried stihl, husqvarna, and Peltor. I like the peltor the most, because they are the lightest, and they have the spring loaded face screen
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

stonebroke

I contacted peltor direct and had them make up a helmet with the 31 db earmuffs instead of the 22 db muffs. It is much better.

Stonebroke

OneWithWood

I agree that the open foam sponge of the Stihl leaves something to be desired.  I had a problem with the ear muffs not seating correctly.  I dismanted the helmet and re assembled it.  The muffs tucked in nice and snug after that.
I recently bought a new peltor helmet with a radio and cell phone jack.  It is light and comfy.  The bit of vinyl that covers my neck helps to keep debris from going down my back.  I like that. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ex-Engineer Wannabe

OWW: I've read some complaints (on Bailey's) about the ear muff connections on the Peltor helmets cracking.   What are your thoughts on this?  Does the ear muff system look rugged enough? 

Ed

I've used the older Stihl (Peltor) helmet for years. It's held up well even with the abuse I give it.
Theres even been a few parts replaced along the way.......

I'm tempted to order the Rockman since it does have vent holes in the helmet. It should be cooler in the summer.  8)

Ed

Woodhog

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=2806FNAD&catID=

I would also like to try the Rockman set up listed above. It looks pretty good in the picture and it would be very interesting to see how those vent holes in the top of the hat work.

The existing regular hats set up for chainsaw work are a safety hazard if you wear glasses, I find so much sweat runs out of the hat and eventually drips down and either blinds you or makes it hard to see out of your glasses.

or am I just old and so out of shape that I sweat like an old horse who has been standing around the barn to long.

Has anyone tried on of these hats with the holes?????

Kevin

I like a hardhat that is curved to allow room for the hearing protection.
Also one that you can get parts for.

Green Wood

I have the Stihl system, but I took the muffs and face sheild of. The sheild bugs my eyes, so I just were some Stihl saftey glasses, and earplugs if I have them, I like em better and they work better than muffs. But the hardhat itself is pretty comforable, It fits extremly well on my head, but that is a more personal thing.

John Mc

Quote from: Green Wood on July 12, 2008, 07:38:39 AM
I have the Stihl system, but I took the muffs and face sheild of.

Speaking of removing the muffs... I've got a new Husqvarna helmet, similar to the one shown a couple of posts above (mine has the small orange band on the earmuff pads, indicating higher noise reduction). Has anyone figured out how to remove the muffs without also removing the visor? The hinge mechanism for the visor is part of the muff attachment point. I haven't really attacked it, but after some brief poking around while in the woods, I didn't see anything obvious.

I prefer wearing ear plugs when it's warmer out, and would like to get the extra weight off if I'm not using it. An old neck injury (sports related, not logging) causes me some problems with even a bit of weight on my head if I wear it too long. The helmet is otherwise much more comfortable than my old one.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OneWithWood

Ex-eng, I have not had the helmet long enough to really say.  So far I have not had any problems.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

rebocardo

I like the Peltor that Bailey's sells much more then my Stihl. As for the "old" Peltor cracking, if they are the same as the Stihl, both my foam earmuffs cracked AND the leg holding them on broke.

sprucebunny

I'm on my second Stihl in 8 years. The ear protection ceased to fit tight and the sweatband fell off and the headband broke. Now, I have a good one and a working spare one. Haven't tried another brand since they take alot of abuse and fit well when they aren't broken. I also wear it for a ATV helmet to keep my ears warm or bug free ;D ( ATV helmets not required, here. )

I read the blurb for the Rockman hat and found the language strange; either not a native speaker or failed English composition ! But what really scared me away was the chin strap  :o :o I'm NOT having one of them !!!!!

" A self-releasing hook, which is integrated in the headband, against the danger of strangulation. If the helmet is removed forcibly from the head, the chin strap will be released automatically, protecting the wearer from being injured by his own helmet. "
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kevin

That's usually meant for tree climbers where they could take a fall.

timberfaller390

I have the Husqvarna helmet just like Kevin has pictured and I love it. I ran over it with the log truck the other day and had to pry it out of the rear duals. It was crushed horribly but I let it set for a couple of days and it popped back out completely on its own. I straightend out the face screen and now it looks good as new. 8)
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

John Mc

Even if that helmet did pop back into shape, I don't think I'd trust my life to it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WildDog

I just completed a 4 day cross cut and tree falling course, the instructor who also audits logging companies and saw mills said in Australia the helmets only have a legal working life of three years, the helmets have a manufacture date stamped in and a place to write in the day of purchase, I think he said you can have one year of shelf life before sale then 3 yrs use, something like that anyway.

He did a test with a 5yr helmet that had seen a life of Aussie sun and a new helmet. The test involved hitting both helmets with a sledge hammer, the old helmet smashed into pieces while the new Husky only suffered a white stress line, ths is something to think about. I went back to work and checked the dates on my field assistants helmets they are all about 5yrs old. I then went to the Stihl dealer who said there is 2 new models coming out and was waiting on a shipment.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

I have heard the 3 year rule here too.I write the year inside of mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stonebroke

OHSA ha a rule that you are only supposed to use a helmet for six months from the date of manufacture.

Stonebroke

timberfaller390

Quote from: John Mc on July 26, 2008, 10:39:49 PM
Even if that helmet did pop back into shape, I don't think I'd trust my life to it.
I just meant that those helmets are tough. I fully intend to replace it.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

John Mc

Quote from: stonebroke on July 27, 2008, 06:51:47 AM
OHSA ha a rule that you are only supposed to use a helmet for six months from the date of manufacture.

Then I guess I better throw my new one out. A shame... I only took it out of the box a month ago...

zackman1801

i thought that they had a little number inside that told you the month and day that the helmets were supposed to be replaced, it looks like a 2 circles of numbers with one circled in each set. 
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Kevin

General manufacture rule is replacement after five years which is what OSHA has to go with.
The liner is one to two years.
Keep in mind this is for a hard hat that is used almost every day at work.
There is a manufactured date on these hats but also keep in mind this isn't a service date.

Service Life

One common misconception is that hard hats have a predetermined service life - that is not the case. Both the 1986 and 1997 ANSI standards address service life under maintenance and care of the hard hat. The standards state that all hard hat components should be inspected daily for signs of dents, cracks, penetration and any damage due to impact, rough treatment, or wear. Although it is not considered a "shelf life", MSA brand hard hats do have "Useful Service Life Guidelines". These guidelines suggest replacing the suspension every 12 months and the hard hat after 5 years of use. Any hard hat that fails the visual inspection should be removed from service until the problem is corrected.

http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf241.htm

thecfarm

I myself would rather replace it a little too early than a little too late.I went years without wearing one at all in the woods.Finally smarted up.Won't mention chaps either.I wear them now.I had no idea there was a date stamped on hard hats.But does make since if an inspector comes to check on them.Keeps every one honest.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Good Feller

I like the husky system.  I take off the stupid face shield though.  I don't know about you guys but I can't see crap with that thing down,,, it's more of a liability than a safety feature.... On top of that,,, I STILL get chips in my eyes.  So I just wear regular old safety glasses. 
Good Feller

Kevin

I took a small spring pole in the face several years ago and was happy to have the face shield.
I always have it on and it has become second nature.
I don't always wear safety glasses because of the sweat factor but I wear them when I can.

arojay

Well, I'm kind of a bad boy on this one.  Probably not just this one but I'll stick to the topic.  I have a Peltor system and a Husqvarna system and I wear neither.  I wear a MSA fullbrim, deci-damps and prescription safety glasses with side shields, summer and winter.  I also have a North full brim with foam liner, lineman type, for real cold weather.  The foam stops the wind tunnel effect quite well.  I realize this may not be for everyone, but glasses inside the screen are a disaster in winter and I have a little sensitivity to spruce, old pollen, dust or whatever and my sinuses plug up a little.  Get working and they kind of let go and the urge to spit overwhelms the realization that the screen is down... and cold...I'll leave the rest to your imagination.  I get a new MSA every year, they are cheap and good protection.  I use a knitted wool earband that my Mom made for me when I was a teenager, to keep toasty and a cover for the back of my neck that I cut from an old gortex jacket, to keep snow etc. from falling down the back of my neck.  Loggers head protection for the Yukon winter. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

TexasTimbers

I used the Peltor from Bailey's too. I liked it alot. So did my dog. Here ripped it to shreds. It was scattered all over the front, back, and side of the house and shop. It was a sickening feeling to see the first thing in the morning.

I'm looking again. i hate logging without a helmet. I did this last weekend but bought a hardhat at the hardware store yesterday. Still, I want another regulation logger system. I love that flip-down/flip-up face screen.  I don't use the ear muffs. Might make no sense to y'all but i just cannot feel safe with them over my ears. Crazy I know but I am uncomfortable to the point of being distracted, and also afraid I will not hear the widow maker snap off 50' above my head . . . . like I would have a chance to get away in time with my shot knees. ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Mooseherder

Wildlife Cam caught deese 2 critters hindside.  It was bought at the Stihl dealer along with some chaps.  I flip the ear muffs off when I ain't cutting.  I like the front shield.  I don't care for the inside forehead band which gets wet with sweat and gets ikky. ;D
I'd bet Peltor makes these for Stihl eh. ???
I also like the dial in back that lets you fit to every head ever made. :D ;D

redneck

My best helmet is a peltor  with built in  FM work tunes in the ear muffs.  you can listen the the music or talk radio while dodging those old dead  poplar  branches   :o :D
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Jeff

Quote from: ex-Engineer Wannabe on July 10, 2008, 10:20:54 AM
OWW: I've read some complaints (on Bailey's) about the ear muff connections on the Peltor helmets cracking.   What are your thoughts on this?  Does the ear muff system look rugged enough? 

Thats what happened to mine. it not only cracked, it broke right out of the helmet. I now have a husqvarna system.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

Mine used to slip out alot but never cracked.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Jeff

My old one actually got put in the trash dumpster last week.  I saw one of the metal picker guys that make the rounds take it out and throw it in his truck Sunday before the trash went.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

zackman1801

Quote from: TexasTimbers on July 31, 2008, 08:58:35 AM
Mine used to slip out alot but never cracked.
ive got peltor muffs attached to my helmet i got free from my father after getting it from his construction company, and i can say it happens to mine all the time. if i set it down to hard, or try to move the muffs around alot they just pop off the helmet and dangle there, then i have to take it off and re seat the muffs. it dosent bother me too much, not enough to go out and spend $20  on a new set.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

breederman

I have the sthil system, this morning I asked my dealer about parts for it as I broke the thingy that snaps one muff against your ear. He wanted to know when I bought it, and because I belong to the forestry forum ;D I had just looked at when it was made, and he told me that mine was boarder line as to getting parts because every 5 or 6 years they change them a little so that they don't stay  in use to long as they can become brittle and crack when something wacks you on the head.   I had heard that some where :D

Together we got this !

Ed_K

I like my husky helmet, try wearing a bandana under the head band, it'll soak up the sweat for a long while.
Ed K

timberfaller390

I had a thought while watching ax men and I didn't think it warranted a new thread so I'll put it here. Do most western fallers wear the full brim aluminum hard hats instead of something like a peltor or was it just for the camera? If so is it just tradition or do they offer some advantage (I wouldn't think so) over a cap style helmet with ear muffs and face shield.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

i would say its a toss up. ive seen alot of pictures and videos of guys wearing the full brimmed helmets atleast in cal, and oregon but up farther north in BC you see more guys wearing the hard hats with face shields and ear muffs. 
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Tombstone

I use the peltor system now, but am really thinking on trying the full brim with ear plugs and safety glasses, it seems it may be lighter and then you wouldnt have to keep messing with the shield? Any comments from the NH, VT, ME guys?
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

John Mc

The one thing I like about the face shield is that it's saved me from getting poked or slapped by branches on a number of occasions, and I don't get the sawdust sprayed in my face as much.

I do like to pull off the ear muffs in the summer and use plugs, however. Those muffs make me a lot hotter when it's warm out (they are nice on the winter, though).

It's strange... I've never seen anyone using the full brim around my area of Vermont.

Tombstone

Yeah I know what you mean about getting hit in the face. I also get hotter when wearing the muffs?? Who would think that much heat comes from your ears!? Not sure why no one wears the full brim around here, I asked a buddy about getting one and he thought I was kidding..................guess I didnt realize we were in a fashion show in the timber :D Safety and comfort are the idea right? :
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

stonebroke

I wonder if anybody makes a regular hard hat in aluminum? That would be neat.

Stonebroke

thedeeredude

timberfaller390

I just bought one of the skull bucket full brims from bailey's so I'll give it a try and see how I like it since my husky helmet got runned over by my log truck. One thing I know I'll like better is not spitting snoose juice in my face shield because I forgot to flip it up beforehand ::)
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

That'd be a good habit to break...starting with not putting the $#@& in your mouth.... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberfaller390

I know I know I'm getting a little help with that whether I want it or not. My sweetheart says no more snoose. :-[  And thus it starts :D first my snoose next she'll be telling me not to leave the toilet seat up.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Ed_K

This last week I've been wearing my earmuffs from the time I open the door of the truck till I get back in. The mosquito's an deer flies are out for a vengeance. I find wearing a bandanna helps in cooling also.
I'm sooo sick of rain  >:( .
Ed K

beenthere

timberfaller390
:D :D :D

I figure they can learn to put the seat down....seems like a couple times would be enough that they'd do it automatically like.   ;D ;D   ....either that, or you don't put it up, and see how that sets with 'em.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tombstone

Ed-

I agree the rain is a real drag!

Maineloggerkid

Ive got a skull bucket, but I don't wear it, it has a bullet hole in it. Kinda freaks me out. I have always worn just a regular peltor system.

timberfaller390

Where did the bullet hole come from?
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

It used to be my uncles , and one time he set it down, and a little while later someone shot it.

zackman1801

More reason not to put it on your head, people want to shoot it.

I have seen regular hard hats in aluminum but my guess is they stopped making them because they probably arent safer than plastic, plastic is cheaper to make, plus it doesn't dent. I wouldn't replace a plastic one with aluminum for the fact also that they would warm up and be like an oven on your head. thats the one thing i like about plastic, if it falls off it doesn't get big dents in it causing it not to fit right or be unsafe to wear.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Ron Scott

All of our hard hats during the 1960's were aluminum with plastics replacing them due to the safety requirements when working around power and electric lines.

I have both hard hats of both aluminum and plastic and still wear an aluminum hat when marking timber and inspecting timber harvests. They are very light weight. The main thing is to keep the suspensions maintained.
~Ron

jokers

Quote from: timberfaller390 on August 08, 2008, 07:42:26 PM
I just bought one of the skull bucket full brims from bailey's so I'll give it a try and see how I like it since my husky helmet got runned over by my log truck. One thing I know I'll like better is not spitting snoose juice in my face shield because I forgot to flip it up beforehand ::)
Get yourself some of those Bug Eyez mesh goggles to go with your full brim helmet and you`ll have a first class setup, just don`t forget your ear plugs or you`ll end up deaf like me. I like the way that a full brim keeps alot of moisture falling from trees from falling down the back of your collar.

timberfaller390

Regaurdless of what saw or how big or for that matter equipment in general I am running I always have the right safety gear. It's just not worth it to lag behind on this subject. Before the skull bucket I always had ear muffs and a face shield now there are safety glasses in the log truck jeep and tractor and ear plugs in my pocket.
I have found that since I have been wearing ear plugs for the saw and carrying them in my pocket that I do alot of stuff that I should've been using them for. I now find myself reaching for my ear plugs for things that before I wouldn't have givin a second thought to.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

moonhill

I have gotten hooked on the muffs with a radio.   Have thought of adapting them to the helmet.   As long as I don't mess with the safety factor.  I wear a ball cap while running my mill so I can wear the muffs.  I don't like the push in ear plugs.  At times I want a large brim hat for sun protection but that doesn't work with a set of muffs.  I don't see the full brim hard hats here, have often wondered why.  I would like to try the screen goggles some day.  It's hard to wear a pair of safety glasses with muffs, the leak factor.  And they chip screen sure does make a nice spit catcher, don't forget to flip it up.  I find the chip screens mechanism to be cheep.  All it takes is a few catches in the over head brush and some plastic piece is broken.  Room for improvement.    Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

VTLogSlayer

The best helmet system that i have found is made by Pacific Helmets.  Super strong kevlar...which is kinda expensive but well worth it.  My roommate has one for tree climbing, and i will be getting one for x-mas this year.  You can find them  at www.sherrilltree.com.  You have to order the muff and visor system separately but definitely a top of the line helmet.
ms361 20" 
044 20"
Polaris xcsp 600
97' Land Rover Discovery

okie

My vote is for the husky. I wear one at work, works great and is 10X's more comfortable than some of the others they have bought us. I really ought to buy me one for when I am milling and felling trees but I am cheap and get earplugs for free.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

rebocardo

The main feature I have come to appreciate most is the face screen, I used hard hats and muffs for a long time, but, once I started using the face screen I never went back to the old way.

Much less ends up on your glasses and when you are cutting a log with the saw in the vertical with the bar end down it really cuts down on the amount of stuff you eat. Plus, it really saves on branches and wild flora catching you in the face, plus, helps on keeping the ivy bits off your face.

I always wear muffs, no plugs, because it really cuts back on the bugs, both annoying and biting, from getting in and on your ears. Removing them multiple times in an hour, to hear someone else or to hear a tree as I am making the final cut, would just invite shoving something foreign back into my ear with the plug.

VTWOODKID

I have a stihl helmet and i dont like it. The ear muffs on it flop around and when the shield is up it sticks out a mile. My dad has a husky helmet and i use that at home. Much more comfortable, better ear muff fit, and nicer shield.

SouthernVT LawnLogger

I have purchase the New Zealand Pacific helmet and i love it.  i will not think twice about getting one.  they are the most rugged helmet i have ever used.  the Peltor ones are nothing compared to this one with a much more compact helmet for any use.  I use mine as a climbing helmet.  With the adjustable back you can put a light weight hat on under it and tighten it down to were it is comfortable.  going to school in the Adirondacks its nice to have a warm head when it is -20 out.  the visor on it comes down and protect you from particles coming up under your face mask.  i think it was one of the greatest purchases out of any.  I actually dropped it out of a tree over the summer from about 80 feet and once i got it back at the top of the tree it didn't even look harmed.  i would recommend it to any one.  it is way stronger than either husky or the peltor.  More and more people are starting to invest in them due to better assets the helmet has.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum..SouthernVTLawnLogger

Do you have a pic you can post of the helmet...with you wearing it?

Would like to see it with a hat underneath too..

thanks.  :)

I see our Sponsor Bailey's has these Pacific helmets listed online.

south central Wisconsin

timberfaller390

finally got around to ordering my bugz-eye goggles to go with my skull bucket, should be here by the end of the week.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

SouthernVT LawnLogger

i am sorry i can not up load the  photos if you would like pictures i could email them to you.  sorry for the inconvenience

chevytaHOE5674

When felling I wear a older Mac-T aluminum hat with a new ratchet suspension system in it. I wear ear plugs and safety glasses as well.

When I'm up in the tree i have a Petzl helmet.

OutPost

After 30 yrs of screens & muffs I got a full brim resin helmet, Bugz mesh goggles, & silicone ear plugs. I'd just taken on a small sale full of dead standing swamp Ash & decided to upgrade. Full brim fiberglass deflected the only widow maker ever snuck past me. Face shield would've torn off, pulled everything else with it, & collar bone likely fractured. I'm sold on full brim resin. Plugs under a fleece beanie or balaclava work way better than muffs over one. Mesh goggles are tougher than any screen & don't fog-ice up subzero. Deer flies stay out of them too. Nice change all around.
A boy is born. A man is forged. Stand. Be counted.

moodnacreek

I still where the first one I bought in the eighties after getting hit in the face by a knot, a pelter. It has been repaired many times because all the others I bought where not as good of a design and got used for parts. The peltor screen hinges close to the helmet and that makes it the best.

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Well, I started this thread quite a while ago, but the frightening memory of a "spring pole" [sorry for the southern vernacular] brushing by my face brought me back to thinking about this again.  My old Stihl helmet system has seen much better days, so I'd like to revive this thread again and ask for some updates.

It's been over a decade since this thread was started, so I assume that there must've been some advances over the years...so, once again, I'd like to ask for thoughts from the folks on the FF: What's the best logging helmet system out there?

Thank you kindly for your time ~ EEW

P.S. - The spring pole release I mentioned would've certainly broken my neck had it been about 4-inches to the left, so I highly recommend a heavy duty logging helmet at the very least.    

John Mc

I really like the fit and weight of the Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet. I've previously owned their lower end helmet (currently called their "Functional Forest helmet) and a Stihl helmet. Both of them were fine, but the Technical Forest Helmet was a LOT more comfortable, and I liked the way the visor flipped up out of the way better. (I thought the indicator showing when the helmet has reached the limit of its recommended exposure to UV light was a nice addition.)

My only problem with it is that the hearing protection popped off my first one after only about a half dozen uses. Once that happened, I could pop it back on, but it would never stay: just adjusting the ear muff caused it to pop back off. To their credit, Husqvarna sent me replacement ear muffs, with no hassle. Unfortunately those popped off again a couple months after the warranty ran out. I emailed Husqvarna, and they came through again, shipping me a complete new helmet. That helmet developed the same problem after a dozen uses or so. I have never been able to figure out how to get the hearing protection reattached in a way that does not just pop off next time I touched it.

Both of these were just as the helmet was coming available in the US. I still use them in warm weather, and just wear ear plugs with them. I wear a helmet with working ear protectors when it's cold out.

I liked the helmet enough that I'd buy another one, if I knew that Husqvarna had solved the problem. I just haven't herd anything one way or the other.

Old Greenhorn

I gave up on plastic helmets this year and I never bought one with the muffs attached. Everybody I see with them fights with them all the time, they break and get caught on stuff. The helmets expire 5 years from date of manufacture (not purchase) so you could buy a hemet that had been in the supply chain for a couple of years already and only get 3 years out of it. I know this is an OSHA thing that doesn't apply to 'civilians' but truthfully I don't want that one bad window maker to find me wearing a helmet that might be compromised I the slightest. SOme things you only get one chance at, you know? I wear ear plugs in warm weather and muffs around the back of the head at other times. I got an aluminum skull bucket and am very pleased with it, but the suspension could be better and I fight with it a little. Slowly shopping for a replacement suspension. I put a full metal screen on mine. I started with a plastic screen and it broke the first time I got whacked with a branch while I was limbing. The steel gets whacked too, but it doesn't break and I can bend it back in place. I replace it about yearly or so. Only complaint is when the sun is over my shoulder and it shines on the inside of the screen, it can be pretty hard to see. I may try a clear screen sometime but I know that will scratch. I took one head hit back in June that sent the helmet flying and when we finally found it, it was just fine. 
 Now if you are OK with plastic, the best helmet system I have seen is the Pfanner Protos but it is pricey at around 300 bucks. The ear pieces fold up INSIDE the helmet and don't provide catch points. Several face mask options available also including clear. I was in a class and the instructor had one and loved it. It's a bit flashy for my tastes but he would be easy to find in the woods. It had some other nice options that impressed me at the time, but I have forgotten them now, sorry.
 Good luck, whatever you get, I hope it never gets 'tested'. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

PoginyHill

I purchased a Pfanner Protos helmet earlier this year. Haven't used in much except for some firewood bucking and a bit in the woods. The real test will be this winter for me. But so far the fit and feel is worth the $300 compared to the conventional Stihl or Husqvarna type models for under $100. Even the mesh shield is easier to see through.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Old saw fixer

I bought the Protos helmet as well as well, and like it.  It is flashy, I got red and and orange for colors.  I had to get the oversize neck clip so it would fit my big head.  Comfortable to wear and nothing sticking out to catch on limb and vines. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

teakwood

by far the best helmet is the Pfanner, kinda of "cry once" deal
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

The two styles I wear, I've worn plastic before falling timber but I sure as heck don't trust it ain't a widow maker. The silver hat is a Mac T six point the other in the picture on my head is skull bucket with the standard non quick adjust style head gear a heck of a lot more comfortable and they stay on the head better. The skull buckets I have two one that has a bent brim from take a good hit that if it had been a plastic would of probably killed me even a Pfanner I wouldn't of been here today or would of been in bad shape from it.

Old Greenhorn

Well I took a nice pic of mine but it didn't come out right. The guy at the pharmacy must have messed up the roll. Too bad because I had a new sticker on the front I was a little proud of. But I did have a back shot of it. Typical skull bucket with the screen added.

I left my face (and the body too) out because I am not ruggedly handsome like Skeans is, and there would be no need to make comparisons. ;D Besides I wasn't cutting today, I was flagging.
 Skeans, I am not familiar with the Mac T hats. If you get a chance, could you shoot a photo on the underside of that hat? I am curious as to have the rigging is given to location of the rivets.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Nevermind skeans, I found it. I see those hats are out of date, but they look like a nice setup. By the way I also found a source of new suspensions HERE, you have to buy the suspension ($45) and the clips ($8.00). I'd use it. I like (and miss) those old suspensions with the drawstring adjustment. Used to have a Jackson like that, it was fiberglass, made in the early 60's also.

Skeans1

There's a couple styles of Mac T hats the six point ones are the real old girls and then the 4 point ones which will really take a hit.

Old Greenhorn

It's a nice design. I am surprised they didn't keep up with the standards. I'm confused why you would imply the 4 points are better than the 6 point buckets. Seems like 6 points would spread the load better. Either way, I am not going back to plastic. OH and for those reading this who have heard aluminum will 'hold the heat in and be too hot to wear" I have not seen this and found aluminum no different than plastic ion the heat score. Everything is way too open for that to matter.

Skeans1

@Old Greenhorn 
I don't think it's the standards that killed the company they were in LA and more then likely that's what killed them. Having worn the 4 point style as well as the 6 point the 4 point feels more planted on your head as well as sitting lower on your head.

John Mc

The six point suspensions do distribute the load better - whether in a plastic helmet or on an aluminum one.

I tried an aluminum helmet a couple of times but could not stand it. The brim was always getting caught on brush or branches. I came to the conclusion that unless I was going to add a chin strap, it was just not practical in the woods in which I usually find myself.

I might feel differently if the understory was more open in my area.

I also like the built-in hearing protection on my plastic helmets better when working on cold weather - no danger of frostbite on my ears. In hot weather, I wear ear plugs anyway, so not much difference on that score.

As to the relative safety, both styles need to meet the same safety specs. If either one takes a hard enough hit to defeat the protection it provides, I've got bigger problems.

In short: IMO, the difference between aluminum and plastic safety helmets is a matter of personal preference, possibly influenced by the type of forests you are working in. Pick the style that works for you, pick a good quality brand within that style, and just wear it.

Old Greenhorn

Thought of this thread yesterday. Was coming home from food shopping and stopped a a light. Coming out of the side road making their turn were two tree service trucks and a crew of 4. AT first I thought it very odd that the bucket truck driver had his helmet on. Then I noticed that it was a pfanner protos helmet he was wearing AND he had the muffs down. Really weird. THEN I noticed the passenger next to him had his helmet on (same one) and HIS muffs were down.  Lastly I noticed that each of the helmets had a boom mic and assumedly communications built in. The second truck was the same things 2 guys, both with helmets and muffs down and boom mics. They must be using them for chatting whilst driving. Yeah it must be nice to have that fancy gear. ;D

Oliver05262

The safety equipment won't do you any good if you're not wearing it. The more comfortable it is, the easier it is to move around while wearing it, the more apt the crewman is to have it on, every day, every job. Supervision helps, but the carrot is most often better than the stick.
   On a related note, I came upon a city crew from North Adams, MA doing cleanup work from a windstorm last fall. No chaps or visible hearing protection, maybe a couple guys had glasses on but no face shields, and the only guy out of the eight or ten who had a hard hat on was the guy in the loader !!! Howzat work fer ya?
  I still use my old four point full brim aluminum hardhat that I bought from my old friend who sold McCullough saws for years. It isn't marked who made it, but it's identical to the Mac T. Also have a cap style four pointer that is a genuine Mac T. I use that when I'm servicing or repairing but the full brim gets in the way. Got my eyes on an old six point Mac T a friend has in his shop. Been trying to buy it for years.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 21, 2021, 11:13:25 AM
Thought of this thread yesterday. Was coming home from food shopping and stopped a a light. Coming out of the side road making their turn were two tree service trucks and a crew of 4. AT first I thought it very odd that the bucket truck driver had his helmet on. Then I noticed that it was a pfanner protos helmet he was wearing AND he had the muffs down. Really weird. THEN I noticed the passenger next to him had his helmet on (same one) and HIS muffs were down.  Lastly I noticed that each of the helmets had a boom mic and assumedly communications built in. The second truck was the same things 2 guys, both with helmets and muffs down and boom mics. They must be using them for chatting whilst driving. Yeah it must be nice to have that fancy gear. ;D
Basically a case of using safety equipment in a manner to make something unsafe. It's illegal (at least in most state of which I'm aware) to wear headphones or ear plugs on both ears while driving. The reason for that should be obvious.

Thank You Sponsors!