iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Logging Helmet System

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, July 09, 2008, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Howdy all,

I've been using the regular Stihl Helmet, Face Screen & Muff system for some time now and I've got no complaints.  However, I will soon be handing the helmet over to my wife and getting a new rig for myself.

So ... I'd like to hear from the folks on the board.  Which helmet system do you like best?

It's a bit more expensive, but the new Rockman Lumberjack System (from Bailey's) looks interesting ... 
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

WildDog

I am no logger but have the proffessional Stihl with the peltor type muffs and a new Husqvarna Helmet, I prefer the Husqvarna mainly because of the difference in ear muffs the Stihl has perforated sponge rubber inserts compared to the Husky's solid density, it might be just me but the Husky seems to cut the noise out more and the solid foam doesn't hold water when wet. My Stihl has one muff that springs back out at the slightest touch, I can't seem to fix it. The Husky's face shield is cut away at the bottom to acccomodate for tilting your head down, I also found the sheep skin type brow band on the Stihl to get itchy after awhile.

I had a look at Baileys Rockman it certainly looks like a good product.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for your time, WildDog.  It's certainly not a requirement to be a logger for this one.  Obviously, anyone who has experience with saws and helmets will know which one works best for them ... ;)
"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

cuttingman423

i have the  Husqvarna  helmet with face screen and ear protection and i agree it cuts out alot of noise . the price isnt bad for it either.

Maineloggerkid

I have tried stihl, husqvarna, and Peltor. I like the peltor the most, because they are the lightest, and they have the spring loaded face screen
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

stonebroke

I contacted peltor direct and had them make up a helmet with the 31 db earmuffs instead of the 22 db muffs. It is much better.

Stonebroke

OneWithWood

I agree that the open foam sponge of the Stihl leaves something to be desired.  I had a problem with the ear muffs not seating correctly.  I dismanted the helmet and re assembled it.  The muffs tucked in nice and snug after that.
I recently bought a new peltor helmet with a radio and cell phone jack.  It is light and comfy.  The bit of vinyl that covers my neck helps to keep debris from going down my back.  I like that. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ex-Engineer Wannabe

OWW: I've read some complaints (on Bailey's) about the ear muff connections on the Peltor helmets cracking.   What are your thoughts on this?  Does the ear muff system look rugged enough? 

Ed

I've used the older Stihl (Peltor) helmet for years. It's held up well even with the abuse I give it.
Theres even been a few parts replaced along the way.......

I'm tempted to order the Rockman since it does have vent holes in the helmet. It should be cooler in the summer.  8)

Ed

Woodhog

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=2806FNAD&catID=

I would also like to try the Rockman set up listed above. It looks pretty good in the picture and it would be very interesting to see how those vent holes in the top of the hat work.

The existing regular hats set up for chainsaw work are a safety hazard if you wear glasses, I find so much sweat runs out of the hat and eventually drips down and either blinds you or makes it hard to see out of your glasses.

or am I just old and so out of shape that I sweat like an old horse who has been standing around the barn to long.

Has anyone tried on of these hats with the holes?????

Kevin

I like a hardhat that is curved to allow room for the hearing protection.
Also one that you can get parts for.

Green Wood

I have the Stihl system, but I took the muffs and face sheild of. The sheild bugs my eyes, so I just were some Stihl saftey glasses, and earplugs if I have them, I like em better and they work better than muffs. But the hardhat itself is pretty comforable, It fits extremly well on my head, but that is a more personal thing.

John Mc

Quote from: Green Wood on July 12, 2008, 07:38:39 AM
I have the Stihl system, but I took the muffs and face sheild of.

Speaking of removing the muffs... I've got a new Husqvarna helmet, similar to the one shown a couple of posts above (mine has the small orange band on the earmuff pads, indicating higher noise reduction). Has anyone figured out how to remove the muffs without also removing the visor? The hinge mechanism for the visor is part of the muff attachment point. I haven't really attacked it, but after some brief poking around while in the woods, I didn't see anything obvious.

I prefer wearing ear plugs when it's warmer out, and would like to get the extra weight off if I'm not using it. An old neck injury (sports related, not logging) causes me some problems with even a bit of weight on my head if I wear it too long. The helmet is otherwise much more comfortable than my old one.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

OneWithWood

Ex-eng, I have not had the helmet long enough to really say.  So far I have not had any problems.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

rebocardo

I like the Peltor that Bailey's sells much more then my Stihl. As for the "old" Peltor cracking, if they are the same as the Stihl, both my foam earmuffs cracked AND the leg holding them on broke.

sprucebunny

I'm on my second Stihl in 8 years. The ear protection ceased to fit tight and the sweatband fell off and the headband broke. Now, I have a good one and a working spare one. Haven't tried another brand since they take alot of abuse and fit well when they aren't broken. I also wear it for a ATV helmet to keep my ears warm or bug free ;D ( ATV helmets not required, here. )

I read the blurb for the Rockman hat and found the language strange; either not a native speaker or failed English composition ! But what really scared me away was the chin strap  :o :o I'm NOT having one of them !!!!!

" A self-releasing hook, which is integrated in the headband, against the danger of strangulation. If the helmet is removed forcibly from the head, the chin strap will be released automatically, protecting the wearer from being injured by his own helmet. "
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Kevin

That's usually meant for tree climbers where they could take a fall.

timberfaller390

I have the Husqvarna helmet just like Kevin has pictured and I love it. I ran over it with the log truck the other day and had to pry it out of the rear duals. It was crushed horribly but I let it set for a couple of days and it popped back out completely on its own. I straightend out the face screen and now it looks good as new. 8)
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

John Mc

Even if that helmet did pop back into shape, I don't think I'd trust my life to it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WildDog

I just completed a 4 day cross cut and tree falling course, the instructor who also audits logging companies and saw mills said in Australia the helmets only have a legal working life of three years, the helmets have a manufacture date stamped in and a place to write in the day of purchase, I think he said you can have one year of shelf life before sale then 3 yrs use, something like that anyway.

He did a test with a 5yr helmet that had seen a life of Aussie sun and a new helmet. The test involved hitting both helmets with a sledge hammer, the old helmet smashed into pieces while the new Husky only suffered a white stress line, ths is something to think about. I went back to work and checked the dates on my field assistants helmets they are all about 5yrs old. I then went to the Stihl dealer who said there is 2 new models coming out and was waiting on a shipment.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

I have heard the 3 year rule here too.I write the year inside of mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stonebroke

OHSA ha a rule that you are only supposed to use a helmet for six months from the date of manufacture.

Stonebroke

timberfaller390

Quote from: John Mc on July 26, 2008, 10:39:49 PM
Even if that helmet did pop back into shape, I don't think I'd trust my life to it.
I just meant that those helmets are tough. I fully intend to replace it.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

John Mc

Quote from: stonebroke on July 27, 2008, 06:51:47 AM
OHSA ha a rule that you are only supposed to use a helmet for six months from the date of manufacture.

Then I guess I better throw my new one out. A shame... I only took it out of the box a month ago...

zackman1801

i thought that they had a little number inside that told you the month and day that the helmets were supposed to be replaced, it looks like a 2 circles of numbers with one circled in each set. 
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Thank You Sponsors!