iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PH 260 problem

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 09, 2008, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

I have a problem with the PH 260.  The feed drive motor get hot and cuts off.  It will be real warm to the touch at the top where the motor and gear drive unit meet.  Called LOGOSOL but not much help.  Was wondering if any one else has had this problem?  I just got the motor and unit apart and got the motor runnig to see if it gets hot on it's own.

Any help out there?
ARKANSAWYER

ADAMINMO

Could be that you are actually having a problem with the vsd between the motor and gear box. Does your feed rollers slow down or stop? Are you feeding material through it that is thicker than usual? I had to adjust the feed rollers on the Baker M-412 a time or two cause they were set to close to the bed and not allowing enough "float" on the rollers with a piece of wood that has some thicker spots and would slow or stall the feed rollers causing the motor to heat up.Check it over good and maybe even take the drive gear box off the roller and turn the feed rollers by hand. They should turn very free. Could be that you may have a feed roller bearing going out and causing it to bind and put more strain on the motor and gear box. Let me know if any of this info helps you.
Adam

amberwood

We have a similar prob with the 260..drive motor so hot you cannot touch it. I had a moment of excitement a few months back when all of the smoke escaped from this motor and it stopped. Right in the middle of a job. Quick run around to the sparky and he advises thas the motor is massively undersized, it had got so hot in there it had melted the insulation of a couple of wires and they had shorted.

This came about from running 3*2" with cutters on 4 sides, flat out. Nowhere near the machines cutting capacity.

The motor is just too small.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

ARKANSAWYER

Well I got the drive seperated from the motor and ran the motor for about an hour all by it's self and it got hot and shut down.  I now will pull the motor apart and check the bearings where the shaft come out.
ARKANSAWYER

Gary_C

If the motor is too hot by itself without the rest of the drive connected, there is little hope for it. The only other thing to check is to make sure the wire connections are tight and not getting hot. If the wire connections are not the problem, chances are there is a high resistance connection inside the motor that is causing the overload and it is toast. Look for a new one.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

oakiemac

Arky, get a clamp on amp meter and put it on one of the legs of the 3 phase then run motor and take a reading on each leg. It should be less then the  amp readings stamped on the motor housing and all three legs should be fairly close. The motor will run hot if you are single phasing it by not having equal voltage on all legs.
You can also take continuity readings from each leg to the motor casing but you will need a megger for an accurate check. You should be able to take it to your local motor shop and have it checked out as well.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

trim4u2nv

Get a reeves, reliance, or us motors speed reducer on ebay.  These things weigh 180+ pounds and take a real beating to break.   Use sprockets and a special torque limiting sprocket to prevent spiraling the drive shaft with a bigger motor.  Most moulders use at least 5-7 hp to drive the feed motors.  I have seen the amish in my area use hydraulic motors also with good results.

fireman05

I'm glad to see someone else is having the same problem!  I have found though mine happens if there is a piece of lumber thicker than others or has a thick spot in it and the feed just stops.  I have lowered the table and the piece starts to feed again.  I am going to try and adjust the feed rollers and see if this helps.  The feed motor is definately very hot to the touch.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

KnotBB

Also check the voltage going to the motor.  Low voltage will cause overheating because current draw goes up.
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

ARKANSAWYER

OK an update.  The motor has ball bearings in it and the bottom set was the problem.  I went to a local store and got some.  The bottom shaft was a bit scored so I took the shaft to a machine shop and it cleaned it up for me.  So for about $60 I got my motor working just fine again.  Mine is the single phase model and the motor could be a bit larger.
  We run every thing through a planer first to make sure there are no high spots as they will cause a problem and if you lower the head you mess up the board.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!