iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing out timbers

Started by Dan_Shade, July 05, 2008, 09:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I had a fellow contact me about sawing out some timbers from logs that he has, I'm assuming that I should take the timber from the center of the log, and saw out boards from the outside? 

if the log is large enough to support more than 1 timber, is there any reason to not cut one from the outside if I can still center the pith in another one? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

Not in my book if they come out without bow, but I'd check with the end user regarding his desires first.

Dan_Shade

I'm meeting with the log owner tomorrow, and plan to discuss all of this with him, i'm just trying to get my knowledge reaffirmed... :)

I don't think the logs will be large enough to yield more than one timber/log, I plan to "heart center" those with the knots pointing up or out at 90o

I'll talk to him about the timbers sawn from the edge that do not contain the pith, and mention that they will more than likely look like a bananna before long.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jim_Rogers

Dan:
Read this old thread for more info about boxed heart beams.....
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,4247.0.html
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!