iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge Timbers

Started by tyb525, July 05, 2008, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I'm going to build a light-duty bridge across one my creeks so i can get back to the woods with my atv and trailer. (can get thru the creek with atv but not trailer). It needs to be able to span about 15' and hold an atv and a garden-tractor wagon full of firewood. I'm gonna use pallets for the top, but I'm not sure what to use for the supports.

Will tulip tree timbers (about 10" diameter) be strong enough? Or would you guys suggest something else.

I'll be thankful for any advice or tips.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Onthesauk

I built two of these last year for exactly the same purpose.  I had some Western Red Cedar, broken off up about 40 feet by a falling alder, that I salvaged for the longer one, (16 foot.)  Cedar was about 16 inches where I cut it off and about 10 inches at the smallest end that I used.  Decked it with treated 2X6 and holds the ATV and a full trailer of firewood with no trouble at all.  Shorter bridge is 12 foot, slightly smaller cedar, but done the same way.  Tacked a 2X4 on each edge just to make sure nothing slid off.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Don P

Locust or white oak would be a more durable choice. Tulip poplar? If so it will rot really fast exposed to the ground.

This calc would do the job for sizing with a couple of caveats. First a rolling load should be doubled to account for its dynamic nature (brakes and a nosedive, bounce, etc.). You should be able to inscribe the square beam within the small end of the round timber to be safe.
https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/beamclc_ctrpointload.htm

If you can get one of those 2 species then I'd use these numbers for wood strength (grade em tight, no big knots, nasty grain etc),
Fb=1000
E 1.0
Fv 200

All that said I crossed a low gulley about 14' span on a pair of 6x8 locust for several years with about a ton. Never have checked it.

OK just did, I'm apparently dead  :D

tyb525

I have the tulip logs handy so i thought just maybe...

Would they get me through the rest of the year? I don't really want to use white oak or locust for a bridge, but I do have a lot of locust around here.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don P

they would last the year, I'd be leery of crossing them next year though. When they go it'll likely be a brash (short grain, little tear) failure... pop, boom

Mooseherder

We torched the axle off an old truck frame, dragged across the creek, put stringers across, then pallets on top.   I pounded a couple steel rods down where the frame allowed into the ground.
I don't know how it is still there because it is under flowing water a couple times a year.  It was under water last week again.

Don P

If it will get covered occassionaly tip it upstream a little so the stream pressure will hold it down rather than floating it off.

Ironwood

Man if it were me I would DEFINETELY go with white oak or locust. If your putting your labor into it why redo it in a year or two? IMHO. Your greatest expense should be YOUR labor.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

tyb525

Well I have plenty of both so maybe I'll go with that. With that said how big should they be? Should I peel the bark off?

Ironwood

I am no expert, so take this as you will. Sapwood lacks the bug resistance of the heartwood. While the tree is alive the living layer is protected by pesticides in the nutrients that flow up the tree, once dead the sapwood is the first to go leaving behind the much more durable heartwood. I would try to get the sapwood cut off or just cut it away with a chainsaw at the joint areas and let it rot away elsewhere over time v
ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

Some tamarack/larch or hard pine might work to. Most small woodlot owners around here find an old truck carcass like mooseherder suggested.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

thanks for the tips guys, I found a couple I-beams behind our barns that should do the trick. I didn't really want to cut down a good oak or locust.

woodmills1

Now that you found proper metal beams for your bridge, why not cover it with proper 3x4 or 4x8 instead of pallets?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

I just might do that. How should I fasten them to the beams? Bolts?

WH_Conley

Bolt a runner to the top of each beam and nail the cross boards. By the way, get plenty of Ben Gay, or other preferred treatment. :D
Bill

tyb525

Got me an old can of repellent, it would probably be illegal to sell it now, I think it has a lot of deet. It seems to work well.

Radar67

WH, At 18, I don't think he will need any Ben Gay for sore muscles..... :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tyb525

I already do plenty of firewood cutting and misc farm work. I don't think I've ever had to use the stuff  ;)

Ron Scott

Looks like you're on track to making a long lasting bridge.
~Ron

Good Feller

I wouldn't use white oak, pallets, etc. if you want it to last.  If you are going to put in the time and sweat build it right.  We needed a bridge just like you described for taking our four wheeler and lawn mower over too.  The first bridge we built out of white oak logs and it didn't last very long,,,, 5 years maybe.  So then we tore that mess down and used rail road ties.  If you can get a hold of some long ones that's what you need. 
Good Feller

tyb525

Just pickin your brains, but how would treated telephone poles (have never been in the ground) last?

SwampDonkey

They use treated 2 x 6 (laid on their side) for small wooden country road bridges that support log trucks or potato trucks or potato harvesters (which is a lot of iron).  I'd say the poles would last decades, be careful of the dust when milling though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!