iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying hewn log?

Started by SeaBass, July 02, 2008, 04:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBass

Hi! I'm drying my hewn logs right now! They are red pine and the size are between 12in to 20in how long should i wait for them to dry? My plan was to let them dry for until september 2010 and they were cut march 2008.
P.S: I live near Ottawa, canada
Thanks

Don P

The only real answer is when they as dry as you want them. That should get them down alot though. What do you mean by "hewn"? Are they flattened or just debarked? If you can get them off the ground and under a "roof" of some sort where the air can get through the stack but keeping the sun and rain off they will do much better.

SeaBass

Yeah, they are flattened on both side (8in thick) and they are well stack with overhead cover and lots of space for the air to circulate.

moonhill

Looks like 14 months maybe 15 should just about do it.   Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

routestep

I just cut in to an oak 9 by 9 to build a wall plate. The outside 2 inches on each side was dry but the center, about five inches was wet. The tree was blown over in 03, I got to it to the mill in 06 (June I think). So it takes a long time for the center to dry. I don't have it under cover though, so maybe that has an effect. I've heard a year for each inch.

Thank You Sponsors!