iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safe Distance for Swingmill Demo

Started by Hokiemill, July 01, 2008, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hokiemill

I've been asked to demo my old swingmill at the local woodworkers' guild annual picnic.  They have a couple 24" white oak logs coming.  It should be a fun time.  So I'm wondering if some safe distance should be roped off during the milling.  I think the odds of a loose knot or other small piece of wood getting shot out is low but I have heard others experiencing it.  Any thoughts from those with demo experience? 

Captain

Keep everybody to the right side and behind the operator and out of harm's way.  The errant pieces of thrown material always go straight ahead or a little to the left.  Anything that rotates around far enough will get forced down with the guard.

Have fun

Captain

thecfarm

Let us know how it worked out and show us a picture or two.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hokiemill

Thanks guys.  I'll have a friend take some pictures and I'll get them posted.  It should be lots of fun and the best part is that there will be a swap meet/sale after the demos.  I may have to come home with a new tool or two  :)

GHRoberts

Emah

Hey Hokiemill  smiley_wavy

At Petersons, we recommend only standing on the right side of the mill, since the left is where the sawdust flies.

We also recommend standing at least 25 feet away from the mill but two meters away on the right side is a good distance, and at this distance the spectators can still see all the action.

Make sure you are wearing all your safety gear aswell as anyone who wants to have a turn operating it.

I just recently finished a demo day here in NZ and I had a blast so I'm sure you will to!  8)

Emah  :)
Life is how you make it

AusLJW

I don't want to sound like a kill joy but you should be very careful.  You would be wise to have adequate public liability for this type of public demonstation.  You should follow all the safety instructions in the sawmill handbook.  You should ensure that your mill has been maintained as per the handbook and that you can show that this is the case (records of maintenance). 
An accident with a swing blade mill is not impossible.  They do throw woodchips.  They can throw offcuts.  True these usually go out the end and to the left but they also bounce off objects.  If you "double cut" as per the Peterson mill then guards are off and chips are going in different directions.  This might be OK in a normal commercial situation but not quite so good with a bunch of school kids staring in wide eyed amazement as you breakdown a log.  You cannot get everbody to where protective glasses at a show.
Just food for thought,  look at the risks. work out how to minmise them and make your decision.
I recently did a static demo with my woodmizer because of lack of space and noise considerations.  Not the same sort of crowd grabber as a working mill but stress and risk free for me.  People could also get up close to the mill and the cut timber on it.  Even got 2 seconds of coverage on local TV (still waiting for the flood of work as a result of the fleeting TV glimpse)

Regards AusLJW

Thank You Sponsors!