iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

belarus and zetor tractor?

Started by SeaBass, July 01, 2008, 05:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBass

Does anybody know anything about Belarus or Zetor tracteur? I'm looking for a 4x4 tractor(40to60hp) to help me build my house and also to skid some logs once in a while from the bush. I found that tractor are cheap compare to MF,Inter or even White so i'm woundering if its because they are not reliable? Thanks!

Ed_K

The family farm had a zetor for awhile,nice running tractor. Problems with the starter, and the clutch couldn't handle being pushed down large hills. It had good pull in 4x4 tho. They sold it to another farmer who's still using it. It's not a machine that likes to sit alot.
Ed K

Polly

8)my neighbor had a belarus all kinds of problems tried to sell it and couldnet hardly give it away  :( :( 8)

Greg Cook

I've been running a Zetor for a few years now, no problems on reliability. I'm pretty rough on a tractor, so didn't want to spend a lot of cash. These things are easy to work on when you do need to.  And not a lot of electronics to have to worry about (at least on mine). The models from a few years back (before the current design) were sold in South America and Africa as John Deere, since these places needed reliability and easy repair more than they needed GPS systems and 21-speed Syncromesh, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't been disappointed, but have been pleasantly suprised a few times.

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

leweee

when Belarus first introduced it's tractors to Canada they had bench seats......the jokes punch line was "so you can take your mechanic with you" :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

scsmith42

I'd stay away from the Belarus for the reasons already listed. 

Re the Zetor - the key thing is having a local dealership that can support you with parts (and or service) as needed.

I had a gray market Kioti a few years back - the tractor was ok but getting parts for it was a bear - sometimes it would take 6 - 8 weeks if something had to come from overseas!  Hence my comment...

No problems with my US market Kioti though.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tonich

Quote from: leweee on July 01, 2008, 10:22:38 PM
when Belarus first introduced it's tractors to Canada they had bench seats......the jokes punch line was "so you can take your mechanic with you" :D

I never knew Belarus was introduced in Canada… 

Being familiar to Belarus tractors (sort of), I’m a firm believer, there must be a better brand... ;D

Dom

My father bought a new belarus 825 (4wd, 80hp with a loader) in the early 80's and kept it until 1991. The engine was good, the rest wasn't.  :D If you need cheap power, they are ok, but its not a tractor I would recommend. It had a shuttle transmission, and the transmission would get jammed. The front bearings would lock up while driving on the road every few years, and these are some of the issues I remember (I wasn't born when it was purchased, and only 10 yold when sold). I will say though, it had very good pulling power, and the engine was strong (from what I was told).

CLL

Had a friend that had a belarus, it vibarated its self to pieces. He was always checking bolts and nuts. I woould stay away from them, like advised above.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Warren

Ditto having a good dealer.  The tractor shop 3 miles from from my house has sold Zetors for the past 10 years or so.  They have a lot of them around our county due to the lower purchase price.  They seem to provide good service to their customers.  Haven't heard any more complaining about Zetors than any other brand.

FWIW, at one of the Zetor dealer's open houses (5 years ago? ) they were showing a video of new Zetors going down the assembly line in eastern Europe nose-to-tail with new John Deere tractors....

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

nas

I ran Zetors in the early 1990s and would never touch another one. (well maybe with a sledge hammer) 8).  We bought it for half the price of a real tractor and made up for the savings in replacement parts in a couple of years.  I don't know if they have gotten any better as the local dealer went out of business and the Zetors went with.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Splinter

look over on tractorbynet forum. lots of info there.

Grower

Zetors weren't too bad, certainly not in the same class as some of the big US manufacturers, but a good reliable machine. The dealer had a 25% markup on them out here and a 20% markup on the Belarus which were still the cheapest. I know a dealer who sold both and 5 out of the 7 Belarus's sold came back in for warranty work, quite a job to get them apart too, they just seemed to have been added to as they were built including a drip tray under the power steering pump at the front to catch oil leaks. The front wheel drive didn't kick in until they were at 5-10%? slippage which by then was too late in some cases, you were stuck, especially with the skinny tyres on the front. And yes some came out with a honeymoon seat. The 702 had 7? points in the front drive train where the power changed directions just getting to front wheels. The 902's were fun on the road when you choked the motor by pulling the stop control out, you couldn't see the machine for white smoke! We used to do it to passing motorists at the time.
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

TeaW

Dad bought a new Zetor when he was about 75,it was all right,but it really never did enouh work to know.The FIL had one that did a fair bit of work, he said he had fixed every thing on it except the horn. Niether was what I would call a good buy.
TeaW

maple flats

My brother had 2 Belarus. They were just crude raw power. They shifted hard, hard to get into right gear. This being said they were likely worth what they cost, but not any more. He had them when there was an excellent dealer in the area and a fantastic mechanic. In fact the dealers mechanic actually went to Russia a couple of times to train (not him, but to train the Russian mechanics) He could fix anything on it in very little time. The dealer would actually rob a part off a stock tractor if he didn't have it in stock and replace the part when he got more back in stock. I have never heard of any other dealer ever doing that. Two features they had that I wish other tractors had are a manual fuel primer pump (if you ran out of fuel you bled the system with a simple hand pump built into the system) and the 3 point hitch had down pressure, powerful enough to pick the rear of the tractor off the ground, handy if REALLY stuck, with enough blocks you could jack the tractor and fill under the tires until you could drive out.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

smoothED

My mf-65 has a manual primer. Really comes in handy when changing filters or running dry(oops)

Thank You Sponsors!