iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tools for metal working

Started by DKinWA, July 01, 2008, 03:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKinWA

I bought three (two 14" and one 10") mill files yesterday at our local supplier and spent $45.  These are good files and not imported junk, but it seems expensive.  I haven't bought any files for a long time, but have prices really gone up that much?  I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any online stores that sell good US made metal working tools like files, taps/dies, drill bits etc?  We are really limited here and the closest supplier is 90 minutes round trip and about $22 in gas :(

little Bark

Here is the link to the machine tool co. That we buy 90% of our stuff from. 

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

By the way there is nothing better then using a nice sharp file 8)   I hope you got handels.  I was always partical to the 8" files.    The last time I bought a file I was in trade school and since then the co. would by the files.  I do know that a good set of jeweler files will cost over a 100.00

Good Luck.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

DKinWA

Thanks for the link.  Their file prices are right in line with what I paid locally yesterday, so I guess they have gone up a lot in the last decade :D  I've seen some nasty hand wounds on folks using files without handles, so I keep plenty of handles around and always use them.  This morning I filed a lawnmower blade and it soooo nice using a good sharp file.

thedeeredude

What brand files do you use?  I don't like Nicholson, it feels like they just don't cut.  I had a lenox file once though and it made steel feel like butter.  Have yet to try simonds or ics cutting tools.  I have grobet files for saw sharpening and they are sweet.

DKinWA

The three I bought yesterday are Nicholson and they seem to cut well, but it sounds like I need to get my hands on some of those Grobet files.  I don't have a lot of files anymore since I pretty much quit my metal working years ago when I lost access to a shop, but that is about to change.  Hopefully, we will be moving out of the shop and into our new home by October and I'll have all kinds of room to work in. 8)

little Bark

One of the keys to keeping a file sharp is keeping it clean.  Do you have a file card or a wire brush will also work just a little big.  After every 12 to 16 strokes you want to clean the file.  The shavings build up and prevents the file from cutting efficiently.

Most of the files that I own are Nicholson files also.  To tell the truth I really doubt that there is going to be a huge diffrence in quality from on brand to the next.  I have found the cuts have a lot more to do w/ how a file performs then the brand.

Back when I was cranking handles for a living.  My favorite file was a single cut 6" mill smooth.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

fstedy

Give the Nicholson Magi cut files a try the're  great been using them for 25 years.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

thedeeredude

Fellow saw sharpeners swear by simonds and sandvik/bahco.  I don't know, just a personal thing that I don't like the feel of nicholsons, not saying they're junk. I really like the grobet files though, but the only source I know has stuff for saw sharpening and nothing else.

SwampDonkey

Well, after 10 years I had to finally replace the mower blade on the push mower. It was worn to a nub and I don't know how it ever cut.  ;D

$19.50 with taxes.

Oh, so it fits in here somewhat with the topic, I usually sharpen it once a year on one of those white aluminum oxide stones on my bench grinder. I got the stone from Lee Valley. It's not as prone to burning the metal when grinding.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thedeeredude

Say swampdonkey, you have a lee valley store nearby don't you?  Lucky dog :D  They need to put a store down here with their New York warehouse.  Go give Rob Lee a piece of my mind next time ;D

SwampDonkey

No, not really close by. But, mail order is wonderful. ;) I'm sure they are not the only ones selling stones. I live in an area not known to stock much in the line of quality tools, or in this case, grinding stones.  Heck I can't even go to the local hardware for a stove pipe. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!