iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire at Scott Smith's Shop

Started by JackLeg, June 29, 2008, 08:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLeg

Being a newbie here, I don't know if this is where you should post this or not.  But, here goes anyway.

Scott Smith, (scsmith42) one of your Senior members, had a devastating fire at his shop last week.  Pretty much a total loss of the building an contents, and Scott had some NICE tools.  Lots of Festool and other good stuff.  Also a couple of motorcycles involved and not sure what else.

Just letting you folks know.  Scott is one heck of a nice guy.  He's been very helpful to me with his advice on drying lumber and encouraging me to buld a solar kiln.

You can see the pics of the fire and read about it on ncwoodworker.net.  Just an FYI.

scsmith42

Reggie - thanks for the kind words and post.  Ditto back at you.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LOGDOG

Scott,

So sorry for your loss. That's just plain awful. I've cleared it with the wife. If we can be of any help in the clean up or re-raising or anything you just let us know when it's going to be and we'll be there. Seriously. You're one of my favorite members here at the Forum - always offering positive re-enforcement to others when needed. Time for us to offer it back. Keep your chin up.

LOGDOG

TexasTimbers

Scott,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I have alot of double and triple stuff. I bet others here do also. Maybe this is not appropriate to suggest I don't know, but when you have time to make a list of things you need I would be happy to send you some from my abundance.

I mean that in the sense that God has blessed me with more tools than I need. I also inherited quite a few from my FIL so I have many doubles and even some triples. I'm more than happy to share some with someone in need, so let me know.

Again, very sorry to hear about this, and I echo logdog's sentiment. You are always a positive force here and I appreciate that.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Lil Badger Creek

Scott-
What a shock! I always enjoy following your posts!! Just want to let you know we are standing with you!
Best Regards,
Stephen Peters
Stephen

SwampDonkey

That's worst than a kick to the guts Scott. All those tools, toys and lumber up in flames. Unfortunately, your not the only member announcing a fire on their shop or barn in the handful of years I've been on the forum. I wish you well, while you plan and build (I assume) a new shop. Stay positive.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Handy Andy

Having never had to deal with a fire, would not your cast iron woodworking machines be salvageable?  Suppose some parts would be bent from the heat but wouldn't the tables etc be ok yet?  I'm sure it would  take some work but seems like something like a jointer could be fixed up. Sorry to hear about the fire, I'm a little paranoid about my own shop and fires.  Had some hail damage on the roof, and the insurance company covered the repairs, as well as the house.  Didn't have but a homeowners policy, so was a little surprised when they covered the shop too. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ironwood

Handy,

It is surprising how much can be salvagable after getting some heat. I have had numerous pieces in my shop after aquiring them from salvage/ fires. Modern "weldment" stuff is usually pretty hard hit, but the older more massive stuff can take some serious heat. Even after sitting out for years in the weather after a fire I have salvage the stuff. Scott is  a resourceful guy I am sure he will look at the cost/ benefit on this issue. Sometimes it is better to take the insurance money and start fresh, even if it is for piece of mind (to put it behind you).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Captain

These are the times that define a person's character, and character of the group of people in their chosen community (communities).

Scott, we're sad for you and the Doc.  Thank goodness nobody was hurt, and the losses were material.  I'm sure this will have some impact on that project list his year.

Captain

OneWithWood

Scott,
Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.  I am sure you will be back on your feet in no time.
It can be hard enough to rebuild after a fire but it is even harder if the tools you need to rebuild are no longer available.  TT and Logdog have made wonderful offers.  Let us know if there are other items we can help out with.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Qweaver

Scott,
I feel for you.  Fires are so demoralizing.  Our thoughts and best wishes are with you.
Quinton and Sarah
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Part_Timer

Scott we are very sorry to hear about the fire.  Things will go slower than you want but keep plugging away and you will be rebuilt in no time.  I don't know if you lost the mill or parts for it but let me know and I will ship out any spares I have that you need to start rebuilding.

Tom and Katie
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ron Scott

A sad and unexpected loss, but we hope for a quick recovery.
~Ron

brdmkr

Scott,

I hate to hear about your loss, but I am glad to hear no one was hurt. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Kevin

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Scott, best of luck sorting it out and getting back at it.

Gary_C

Scott, sorry to hear this. Having to deal with the aftermath and insurance companies can be difficult, but there will be better days ahead.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

scsmith42

All - thanks much for kind thoughts and words.  It's been a tough few days, but even when I get down I can't help but reflect on the fact of how blessed Laureen and I are.

We'll be wading through the insurance process for a while, but serious clean up efforts start later this week.  Hopefully by the end of Monday we'll have all of the identifiable items sorted out of the residue and the remainder of the debris in dumpsters.

The members of the local woodworking club have been outstanding, and it appears that we'll have plenty of volunteers on hand this weekend to assist with the debris removal, sorting, etc.  The amount of warmth, support, and outright assistance that people put forth during tragedies is tremendous - it's difficult to express in words the profound positive impact that it has on the beneficiary.

I will definitely be rebuilding; probably break ground in Q4 (the heat damaged my current slab so it's all gotta come out).  I have another building already under construction here on the farm, and will move all of the woodworking equipment into it as soon as it's far enough along.  Thus I'll be able to restore the shop before I restore the building.

Kevin and Landon - thanks especially for your kind offers - it really means a lot.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LOGDOG

You bet Scott. The offer stands. Great to know that you have some local helping hands as well. I'm glad you had insurance. If I know anything about Scott Smith I'd bet that you come back with even bigger and better toys.  ;) ;D You didn't lose that Baker Moulder too did you?

LOGDOG

Ron Scott

You are going about it in a positive way. Things look and feel much better after the fire area is cleaned-up.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!