The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Poll

What is the total number of experience you have Logging and working in the woods. (Round to the closest number))

1 year
94 (8.5%)
5 years
173 (15.6%)
10 years
157 (14.2%)
15 years
117 (10.6%)
20 years
136 (12.3%)
25 years
110 (9.9%)
30 years
116 (10.5%)
35 years
80 (7.2%)
40 years
65 (5.9%)
45 years
28 (2.5%)
50 years
18 (1.6%)
55 years
7 (0.6%)
60 years
5 (0.5%)
65 years
2 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 1108

Author Topic: Total of our experience-Logging and working in the woods  (Read 96784 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
Re: Total of our experience-Logging and working in the woods
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2016, 07:48:43 pm »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum. You are the "other" operator in an earlier video of a new member. Welcome to you both. Looks like you have some good equip. running to process wood.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Slasherguy

• I'm new!
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »
Yes I am the "other" operator in the video and thanks for welcoming us. We are very eager to see and hear about all the other wood tics and how everyone is doing it.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2016, 08:31:19 pm »
You guys came to the right place.  8)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Logger RK

• I'm new!
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2016, 11:10:16 pm »
I put 40 years Logging. 55 now started getting a little money doing it around 15. Actually cut trees much younger. Dad was clearing some land 2 make hay fields when I was in grade school & when me & my older brother got tired of riding on the TD14 Dozer he give us a ax & said go cut a tree down. That'll keep u busy. So we found about a 30 inch pine on the river bank. By the end of summer it finally made a big splash. Ma never heard about that one or pa would've got a ear full. After that dad still clearing land a few years later the brother heard them aspens might b worth cutting the root ball off & skidding out with dads ford major tractor & 8 footing. It b less 2 burn 2 finish the land clearing job all so. Brother used dads Sears or Wards chain saw( not sure which brand now)4 cutting. Till he went Big Time & bought a Brand New Homlite XL12. Then after land clearing was done dad had standing aspen we could cut. Brother buy a new Johnsred 621. I believe first tree he cut(and it had 2 b a big one)the tree comes back on the saw. I run over & help. The 2 of us could keep it from falling on the saw but if one would try 2 get the tractor it would start 2 go. In the end it did go over & break cover & fin's off head & jug. But still ran. Dad was a farmer/truck driver& didn't have much advise about logging so it was learn as u go kind of. Worked 4 brother till 20 years ago or so & he went trucking & farming. Bought my Hahn from brother & hired out 2 others till getting my own Skidder then shear. Worked alone 4 a good amount of years. Was kind of nice that I'd b running different machines.Told The Boys they should go get them high payin jobs. They did then started buying Eq so they could work out in the woods.Now 3 of my sons work with me. Oldest after getting out of The Marines Assaultman Weapons Platton bought a chipper & middle son bought a Hahn a Drott feller buncher & Drott with Denis Stroke Delimber.(now he wants me 2 park Hahn's & get a big slasher)& youngest bought a cable Skidder last year. I still do most of saw felling,if there's any over 20-22 inch the big shear can't do I'll fire up The Sthil O66 with 32 inch bar. I tell The Boys if somebody's got 2 go it might as well b the oldest. It's good working with The Boys as I always say, but sometimes they get in 2 big of a hurry. As dad used 2 say about The Old Bull & The Young Bull standing on the hill looking at the herd of heifers. Young bull say lets run down there & breed one of them heifers,Old Bull say,let's walk down there & breed them all. Same job 40 years & same Bride 35,Life's Good. As dad also used 2 say,if ur job is ur vacation u got I made. 👍

Offline Mountaynman

• Full Member x2
  • work from the southern adks to the catskills in NY
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2016, 07:14:34 pm »
Started at 8 or 10 helping gramp in the farm woodlot did TSI on the 160 acres to come up with 60 plus cord every year to heat 5 houses back then we twitched with a horse or a team to a main trail then bucked and loaded with a old cable contraption he had later on had a 540 skidder and 350 dozer still loaded on his old trip bunk wagon  then tractor ride to the farm the original cut to length set up I guess work now with dozer and forwarder on mostly sloping regened farmland round here taking out ash sawtimber and pulp to release 10 - 12 inch maples really fast growing timber on some of this ground round here had some 40 yr old ash this summer that were 16 " logs always liked farmin the woods thanks to gramp been gone 25 yrs now and still see him almost every day in the woods pointing to a tree to take down and tellin me not to hurt them little maples

Who will go in the woods and do our work when we are to old to do it there doesn't seem to be many young fellas with much interest?
1999 546 Fabtek 2009 450J 1999 Prentice 210E Run Husky 372xps and 660 Stihls

Offline jrose1970

• Full Member x2
  • Feller = One who fells trees.
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:36 pm »
I know what you mean about young fellas not having much interest. I have a nine year old step-son who loves to help me.  I told Aileen, I'm planning on him being my prodigy. He's a fine little feller. I'm really careful when he is around though. There are so many ways to get hurt bad. Welcome to the forum.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Offline NorthMaineLogger

« Reply #266 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »
I just recently became a forester after graduating from University of Maine. Spent 3 out of 4 years timber harvesting: operating skidders and forwarders. So a total of about 5 years.

Offline danbuendgen

• Stand Up and Fight
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2016, 08:57:15 pm »
Just checked 10 years for professional logging. I am very surprised that 5 to 10 years has the highest percent on this survey. The average logger in Vermont is 50! I guess this is because a lot of people say they just cut there own firewood and are no logging for a living...
Husqvarna ~ TimberJack ~ Dodge Cummins

Offline Norway Pine

« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:07 am »
I'm 19, a sapling I guess to most of you folks out there  :D  but I first got into logging and milling when I was 13 or maybe 14, slabbing up logs with the old man for tabletops and bars and things. I suppose though that there is a lack of young folks in the forestry area and we could sure use a hell of a lot less lawyers and business majors.

Offline moonmanmort

« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2016, 11:34:35 pm »
Hey all, new forum member here. I don't have much experience, but I wanted to be included in the data.

1 summer arborist/tree removal work
2 summers forestry tech work
3 years BS Forestry degree - cumulative field labs total: about 1 summer

Total field experience: 4 summers, or 1 full year.

Offline jcmc

• I'm new!
« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2017, 04:39:20 pm »
Started cutting firewood to sell when I was 16 with dads Mac250. Worked for a municipality for many years cut lots of roadside trees.
Still cutting firewood for self and enjoy being out in the woods.

Offline TreesLogan

• I'm new!
    • Tree Removal Logan
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2017, 02:11:29 pm »
Started cutting trees with a neighbor when I was only 16. I worked with him through high school and part way into community college. Then the rat race caught on and I thought I was going to make it big so I neglected my trade for some time. I still did a little work on the side but not enough to satisfy me. This year I quit my job and I am going full force to pursue my own tree service company. Glad to be here with like minded members Im probably going to learn a thing or two.
When you wake up and realize you sarificed your passion for a dollar that never came. At least I am awake now. http://www.treeserviceloganut.com

Offline allaboutsawdust

« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:13 pm »
First picked up a saw when I was 14 cutting firewood and have been cutting anything and everything i can ever since. It's surprising for me to see how high a percentage of people checked of 5 to ten years knowing how the majority of the industry (at least in our area) is over the age of 50.
A father son cut to length team with a '00 rottne smv harvester, '89 and '99 rottne rapid forwarder, '74 664 clark ranger skidder, '86 ford one ton that hauls 100 plus cords of firewood a year along with a couple thousand taps worth of sap.

Offline woodmaker

• I'm new!
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2017, 09:29:22 pm »
I have never been a "real " logger. I bought a used McCulloch in 1975(i think it is a 250,but I looked the other day and couldn't find numbers on it) and cut cord wood to sell for extra spending money while in college,and since then,have cut firewood for my father and myself,maybe a week total each year. Call it one year,total
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels