iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curly Maple Logs

Started by steveST, June 11, 2003, 07:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

I have been looking for some nice curly maple logs for quite a while now and can not seem to turn up ANYTHING. Anyone? I am willing to pay-up for nice ones.
Thanks!

AtLast

Good luck...most of the time thats sold off for quite an amount...I had a cpl sugers here that were birdseye...each log sold for $15.000.00...the Japanese love that stuff.

oakiemac

Is there anyway of telling if they are curly or birds eye from the outside, without opening the log up? Is soft maple worth anything if it has these grain figures? Thanks.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

woodmills1

go to this site and click books, they sell a pamphlet that helps identify.
http://sawlogbulletin.com/
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brian_Bailey

I just got some curly soft maple logs in the other day.  Hopefully the pics will show the curl just under the bark.  Sometimes you'll only get a few boards with curl before you cut out of it and then again the whole log might come out curly  ;D.  I get $3 to $4 / bf for KD curly soft maple.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

oakiemac

I have quite a bit of soft Maple (red) and am looking for ways to tell if it has an unique grain pattern before the  tree is felled.  Woodmills, have you actually bought the book? Is it worth the $20.00?
The soft maple that I have cut so far has been very plain, even down right ugly wood that seems to be very fiberous. Is this been your experience as well?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

woodmills1

no I did not buy and have not seen that book.  I get very little maple to cut, though I can tell you that like the previous pictures you can see the curl if the bark is off.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brian_Bailey

Concerning the above pictures,  you wouldn't of known these logs were curly just by looking at the bark. I talked to the logger that cut the trees and he said that he suspected they might be curly by the way they were growing in the woods.

Oakiemac - I wish I could be of more help to you.  After talking the to the logger,  he cuts hundreds of thousands of board feet of logs / year  that it is kinda of a crap shoot on what your going to come up with. He said sometimes the tree has it written all over it that there is something unusual with it and other times, after its been cut, it's oh wow :o what do we have here?!  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

oakiemac

O.K., Thanks for the replies. It just confirmed my belief that unless you have the experience-it's a crap shoot. I might buy that book anyway because I do have a lot of Maple, but I don't want to cut it unless it has a good grain pattern like Curly or Birds eye.

Thank You Sponsors!