iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Big Purple Triangles"

Started by Jeff, June 25, 2008, 01:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

While up to the cabin a couple weeks ago, Pete and I were approached by the waitress in the Raber Bay Bar. She knew about the Forestry Forum and wanted to ask me a question. One of her customers had mentioned these big purple "triangles" hanging off of some of the orv trails and she wondered if I knew what they were. She described them and I told her that I was pretty sure they were some sort of bug trap, not having heard of the purple traps yet.  Two days later Pete and I were driving down trainer road and one of these big "Purple triangles" as she had called them caught my eye, so we stopped to investigate.

What I found was rather humorous as if you look at the photos of what the trap is hanging in and the accompanying tag is stapled too says and now after researching the topic once I got home, what the question high-lighted in red says below. There was no other ash tree with in noticeable distance from this particular trap.

Anyhow, regardless of that, it was interesting to learn about this project and I now know for sure what those big purple triangles hanging from "ash" birch trees are. :)

Emerald Ash Borer - Purple Trap

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1568_2390_18298-192948--,00.html

Emerald Ash Borer - Purple Trap Survey Q & A

The emerald ash borer (EAB) is a small, metallic-green, wood-boring beetle that was discovered in southeast Michigan in 2002. Native to Asia, it's believed to have been unknowingly transported to the United States in wood packing material. Since its discovery, the EAB has been detected in six other States -- Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Federal and State quarantines have been established in these States to mitigate the spread of EAB. Quarantines prohibit the movement (within the State and out of the State) of regulated articles, which include ash nursery stock, ash logs and lumber with bark, pallets, branches, stumps, etc., and all hardwood chips and firewood.

Q. What is the 2008 EAB Survey?

A. The 2008 EAB survey will be conducted in 47 States and will use approximately 60,000 detection tools or "traps" throughout the country. The EAB Survey's goals are to identify the leading edge of known EAB infestations and to locate other outlying EAB populations.

Q. Who is involved in the 2008 EAB Survey?

A. The 2008 EAB survey initiative is a collaborative effort between the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and numerous States including Michigan. In all, 47 States will survey for EAB; however, because of their differing survey objectives, not all States will employ the same trap density. The States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin will participate in a delimiting survey within a 100-mile band of known EAB infestations. These States will deploy artificial purple traps in a 1.5-mile by 1.5-mile grid where ash is found growing. The remaining States will participate in a risk-based survey where purple traps will be placed in ash trees at high-risk locations such as in campgrounds, recreational areas, saw mills, nurseries, and new commercial/residential developments.

Q. Who is paying for the cost of surveying in my State?

A. The EAB survey is funded by USDA. Each participating State has submitted a cooperative agreement and work plan to determine resources necessary to successfully complete the survey.

Q. What do the traps look like?

A. The trap is a three-dimensional triangle or prism. It's made out of thin, corrugated, purple plastic that has been coated with non-toxic glue on all three sides. The purple prisms are about 24 inches long and hang vertically in an ash tree or are secured to the trunk of a tree. To increase the attractiveness of the trap to the beetles, it is baited with a lure (Manuka oil).

Q. Why do you call these detection tools "purple traps"? Do they really trap EAB?

A. We frequently refer to the detection tools as "purple traps" out of convenience. According to USDA, the current purple trap is the best tool available today for EAB detection.

Q. Why is the color purple significant and what is the lure?

A. For many insects, color frequently plays an important role, and EAB is no exception. In 2003, researchers began investigating EAB to develop an effective detection tool. Scientists from found that buprestids (the insect family to which EAB belongs) in general are more attracted to red and purple hues compared to other colors. Therefore, researchers initiated a study using a variety of red and purple traps to determine which trap attracted the most beetles; the purple trap achieved the best results. To improve the purple traps' attractiveness to EAB adults, they are baited with oil from the Manuka tree. Researchers found that there are four active compounds in Manuka oil that are also produced when an ash tree is stressed. Researchers also discovered there was an EAB antennal response to these compounds. In field tests when baited traps and non-baited traps were compared, traps baited with Manuka oil attracted more beetles than traps that were not baited.

Q. Why are the purple traps only placed in ash trees?

A. Ash trees are the only host species for EAB. The lifecycle of EAB is dependent upon the ash tree; the adults feed on the leaves, lay eggs in its crevices, and the larvae develop under its bark. All ashes (green, white, black, etc.) are EAB hosts.

Q. How long will the survey take to complete?

A. The purple traps will be placed in ash trees beginning in June 2008 in the six most eastern counties of the Upper Peninsula and at specified high risk sites in the Central and Western Counties of the Upper Peninsula. Traps are placed in spring before EAB adults emerge. The traps will be monitored and remain in place throughout the summer during the beetles' flight season and will be removed in the fall.

Q. Is the purple trap safe?

A. The purple traps pose no risk to humans, pets, or wildlife; however, the non-toxic glue can be extremely sticky and messy if touched.

Q. What should I do if I see a purple trap on the ground?

A. If you see one on the ground or damaged, please call USDA at 1-866-322-4512. If you call the USDA after regular business hours, please leave your name and phone number and someone will return your call on the next business day. In addition, you can also call the Michigan Department of Agriculture at 1-866-325-0023 to report it.

Q. How does the purple trap work?

A. During EAB adult emergence, beetles fly around ash trees, nibbling on leaves and looking for a mate. If an EAB lands on a purple trap, it will get stuck in the glue. In the fall, crews will return to trap sites to collect samples and remove the traps.

Q. What happens when an EAB is found on a purple trap?

A. The insect samples collected from the traps will be cleaned and sent to a USDA identifier for verification. All verifications of EAB will be communicated to the appropriate State plant regulatory official.

Q. If a purple trap is in my area, does that mean EAB is there?

A. Purple traps help detect EAB. A trap located in your community does not mean EAB is present; it means we are looking for the beetle. The goals of the 2008 EAB Survey are to define the leading edge of the infested area and to locate new outlying EAB infestations.

Q. What can I do to support the 2008 EAB Survey Program?

A. Please talk to your family and friends about the EAB survey to make them aware. Survey traps will be in ash trees throughout the summer; the public is being asked to please not disturb them. In addition, become familiar with the signs and symptoms associated with an EAB infestation and inspect your own trees for any indications. Lastly, don't move firewood; buy it at your destination instead.

For more information on the 2008 National EAB Survey, please visit www.purpleeabsurvey.info.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Yeah, especially after reading the labeling and where it proclaims to be hanging from.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I just hope the same people identifying ash trees for trap placement are not in charge of identifying emerald ash borers from the captured insects when recovering the traps.  Me thinks some young bodies were contracted to do some of the trap placement...

SwampDonkey

QuoteQ. Why is the color purple significant and what is the lure?

A. For many insects, color frequently plays an important role, and EAB is no exception. In 2003, researchers began investigating EAB to develop an effective detection tool. Scientists from found that buprestids (the insect family to which EAB belongs) in general are more attracted to red and purple hues compared to other colors. Therefore, researchers initiated a study using a variety of red and purple traps to determine which trap attracted the most beetles; the purple trap achieved the best results.

Ash flowers, coincidence?  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on June 25, 2008, 05:02:53 PM
I just hope the same people identifying ash trees for trap placement are not in charge of identifying emerald ash borers from the captured insects when recovering the traps.  Me thinks some young bodies were contracted to do some of the trap placement...

Yeah I hope so, because I've seen emerald colored bupresid beetles (flat headed metallic borers) in dead fall maple long before EAB infestations. I found one grub in the winter while cutting up a dead fall maple for firewood. I've even collected some one summer for the insect lab at the University. Each year they were looking for fresh samples of insects of all kinds and students mostly collected them after taking the actual course. I've found the adults even in the firewood pile on occasion.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on June 25, 2008, 05:02:53 PM

Jeff,
They were cutting so many ash trees down as trap trees, they were running out of ash trees. A friend of mine is USDA in the Soo. He said the contractors could not find trees to make into trap trees. So I think this drove them to the purple trap. A couple parks down here have fields full of the traps. I just figured it was some thing MSU was working on.
But it is funny to read the tag.

Jeff

There are plenty of black ash trees around that area, just not any real obvious right there where that trap was. I could probably find one within 100 yards though I bet.

estiers

I bet it was placed there because there was not a "viable" ash alternative within the area they had to place the trap in.  Michigan has thousands of these traps going up, and while an ash tee may be somewhere in the area, they may have been directed to place the traps only near the road.

These traps are going up in the entire contiguous 48.  Anyone else seen one??  (I, of course have because I have placed a few!)
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

OneWithWood

Yes.  I saw one two days ago.  I wondered if it could be an EAB trap.  Now I know.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

I hope we don't get the bug. In our area the second growth hardwood has a pile of white ash regenerating and even if aspen comes back, the ash is mixed all through it. It seems to germinate like weeds and grows pretty well with aspen, though not quite the height and diameter growth rate.

Kevin_H.

Yep we were out camping last week and seen several of those purple traps hanging on the ash trees in the camp ground, I really hope they dont find any down this far.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

beenthere

We've one up ½ mile down the road. Also, hope they don't find any.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I've noticed a few of those too and didn't know what they were.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pigman

We have two of those traps on our little county road. 8) They have been there for several weeks.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

estiers

Looks like we have sightings from most of the states with the high density trapping.  Haven't heard from PA or WV....

What really interests me is if anyone outside the high density area has spotted any.  All other states have 200 traps total, so this will be more of a treasure hunt!
Erin Stiers

thedeeredude

Funny, on Sunday after I read this post I went back to the sawmill and there was a purple triangle in the front yard.  Didn't look if it was an ash tree though.

SwampDonkey

What I don't like about the whole deal with Canada Food Inspection Agency, is the fact that they only react to the area within discovered insects. Heaven forbid if they posted signage, say at the NB border forbidding the transport of ash in any form into the province that might help deter it ever getting here. Being proactive and preventative instead of reactive seems to be above their capability.  You should hear their response when asked to be more proactive, they read from prepared scripts relating only to the outlying area where the insect is found. ::)

OneWithWood

Is there any chance the traps could entice an EAB to go where it would not normally go?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

maestro

We found Medium Red Triangles...does that count?  There were 3 that I could see and are in the Rockwood Range Conservation area just west of Eureka MO. 

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

estiers

That maestro is a Gypsy Moth trap.  Much smaller than the EAB traps above.  Good find!!
Erin Stiers

SwampDonkey

If you get a call from CBC, don't blame me. :D

Just kidding. We have been having discussions on CBC radio about EAB. They wanted an interview with me and I had to graciously suggest they call upon the experts. ;D

ohsoloco

There's traps like that set around my neck of the woods, one is on the road I live on.  I haven't checked into it much, but I assume it has to do with the gypsy moths.  They were put up shortly before the moths came out.  You don't wanna see what the caterpillars did to my oak trees  :(

Hmmm, I just did a google search about those traps, and I see they're doing EAB research in PA as well  :P

Thank You Sponsors!