iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RIP George Carlin

Started by Fla._Deadheader, June 24, 2008, 05:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Lot of folks didn't care for him, but, I thought he was one funny guy.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RSteiner

He had a humorus side to him but also a very irreverent side. 

I just wonder now if he thinks differently about the remarks he made and the attitude he had on who God is.

Randy
Randy

Daren

Quote from: RSteiner on June 24, 2008, 06:13:23 AM

I just wonder now if he thinks differently about the remarks he made and the attitude he had on who God is.

I can see it now "Welcome George, there are just 7 words you can't say up here"  :D
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

breederman

Together we got this !

beenthere

I won't miss him, like so many others that I really do miss... ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

beenthere, hell is now frozen solid my friend. You and I are in agreement on something. I bet 'ol George for one is happy about it. :D

That's very TIC folks. I have no idea where he is and don't pretend to know. ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ron Wenrich

I saw George live just last year when he was preparing for his HBO special.  I had front row seats and it was great just to see how a seasoned pro worked. 

Some of his material people will find offensive, but if you ever listened to what he's saying, its beyond humor.  He hated political correctness, no matter which side was touting it and poked fun at it. 

He also didn't like authority or government.  He had a good work ethic and did pretty DanG good for a 9th grade drop out.  He felt that if you didn't like those 7 dirty words, you didn't have to listen to them. 

The more I think about it, the more he sounds like one of us.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Corley5

I liked George and was saddened to hear of his passing.  One of his albums was the 1st standup recording I ever listened too. His brand of comedy was considered risque when it first came out but it's pretty DanG tame when compared to today's comics.  Andrew Dice Clay comes to mind  ;) ;D  Carlin hosted the very 1st Saturday Night Live and was the host another 16 times or so after that.  He also hosted a children's program on PBS for a time a few years ago 8) 8)  He played a train conductor and Ringo Starr took his place after a while.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

fat olde elf

Carlin was just a few weeks older than me.... I have the list of 2,000 other words that you won't hear on the radio or TV from Carlin.  My son got them for me for Father's day a few years ago.  Also have all of his books, all gifts from my son.....Also have a large photo of George in my den...He wrote HI PAUL ! across his forehead for me.  Great loss...
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

DanG

I enjoyed and admired George Carlin.  His irreverence always seemed appropriate to me, because he questioned things about our society that I had always wondered about.  When I was a little kid, I always wondered why some words were selected to be called obscene, when other words with the exact same meaning were perfectly acceptable.  I still wonder about it.  It seems stoopid to me.  Carlin had the guts to ask the question in public, and the smarts to make money out of it.  What's to criticize?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

Quote from: DanG on June 25, 2008, 12:03:37 PMWhat's to criticize?

He had little to no respect for anything except himself.  I sometimes wondered if he even respected himself much.  I laughed at some of his stuff, even went to see one of his shows but the more I matured, the more I grew away from his line of thinking.  And no, I'm not saying if you like his comedy you are immature.  Just sharing the way it was for me.  :)

In the end, it doesn't matter.  He made a lot of people laugh but he also spread a lot of angst.  Folks can love it or leave it, like a lot of things in life.

low_48

Before you judge Carlin the man, I think you have to remember, his standup was an act. A written, practiced, well honed act. Did anyone in the group know the real person? He was making money, maybe it was really him, maybe it was wasn't. Many times I have to remind the misses, it's TV, or it's only a movie. Too often we see what we are supposed to see, from politics, to news, to entertainment. Wait a minute, the first two items are entertainment!!!! I doubt if he went to church, but who knows. I do know that he really made me laugh, and think too. That's a good guy in my book.

RSteiner

Quote from: low_48 on June 26, 2008, 12:32:52 PM
Before you judge Carlin the man, I think you have to remember, his standup was an act. A written, practiced, well honed act. Did anyone in the group know the real person? He was making money, maybe it was really him, maybe it was wasn't. Many times I have to remind the misses, it's TV, or it's only a movie. Too often we see what we are supposed to see, from politics, to news, to entertainment. Wait a minute, the first two items are entertainment!!!! I doubt if he went to church, but who knows. I do know that he really made me laugh, and think too. That's a good guy in my book.

I didn't know Carlin the man, but as the saying goes "you are what you eat".  I am sure he was a different person when not on the stage.  He said things to be funny or maybe just to shock people could be he didn't mean a bit of what he said maybe he didn't write his material.  Whatever you say can and will be used against you the rest of your life even if you didn't believe in what you said.

Randy
Randy

DouginUtah

In case you haven't heard, this weekend Saturday Night Live will be running the entire FIRST episode--with George Carlin as the featured guest.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Thank You Sponsors!