iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas, my Texas.

Started by Texas Ranger, June 21, 2008, 11:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodwalker

Ending could have been better; should have shot the thing.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Warbird

Yeah...  I'm a bit confused on why they don't shoot them.  Seems like a waste of a good dog, cause they have to lose dogs doing it that way.  Still, it was a great story.  Thanks Tex.

Woodwalker

In the been there, done that category, it's the sport.
Use to be that folks around here didn't have many cattle. The meat crop was hogs running loose in the woods. Each man had a particular ear mark, over bits, under bits,  swallow forks, etc. Old timers use to take the dogs, run, bay, then catch, ear mark and castrate the boors. These were domesticated hogs which were free range in these woods around here and not near as wild and prone to cut dogs as these are now.
Now days these feral hogs have developed into quite a problem. Shoot em, you bet, but you gonna have to catch them outside of the thickets where they spend most of their time. They are nocturnal, can't see very good, but have very good hearing and a keen sense of smell. They are smart, quick learners and a costly pain in ahaaa, field. A bunch of hogs can root up enough in one night to keep a man can on a tractor busy disking it back down most of the next day.
Here in Texas we can hunt them in daylight, at night, with dogs, live traps, only thing we can't do is poison the blasted things.
A lot of folks use dogs and hunt them for sport. They will have one set of dogs to trail, run and bay the things up in some creek or thicket, then you trun loose some "catch dogs", usually Pitbull or Pit cross. Once the catch dogs have a good hold, you go into the thicket with a knife, a piece of rope and mark, cut or tie and tote out the hog.  Depending on the size of the hog, better have some pretty good catch dogs.
Now days, being to decreased speed (on my part), I'm more prone to trap or shoot the things.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

pineywoods

What woodwalker describes is the part of Texas known as the "Big Thicket" and it ain't just in Texas. Just eastward is the north half of Louisiana and southern Arkansas where the hogs are just as big, maybe even meaner and just as big a problem. They love the taproots of my pine seedlings. I don't hunt myself, but have friends who do.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

Nah, cannot be as big, or meaner, this is TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!