iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sassafras as lap siding? dry time?

Started by lazy-river, June 19, 2008, 03:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazy-river

Would anyone have any thoughts on using sassafras for horizontal lap siding.  i will have 1 1/8 boards cut, then dry for a time yet to be determined, then put on a band mill with a jig to make the tapered lap siding.

cedar is too expensive to have shipped into central PA.  Hemlock is my other choice, but not that much cheaper than the sassafras.

should the sass be kiln dried or air dried.....how long?

any help would be much appreciated.  not sure if this is the best area for this post.

thanks
Andy

flip

As rot prone as sassy is I would not think it to be the best for your application.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

LeeB

Quote from: flip on June 19, 2008, 03:51:53 PM
As rot prone as sassy is I would not think it to be the best for your application.

Interesting. I was just reading about sassy this morning in Sawmill and Woodlot. The pull out said sassy has a fair rot resistance. I wouldn't know myself. I have never even seen any of it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

oakiemac

Sassy is a very good choice for outside applications-very rot resistant.

If you are just going to use it for siding then there would be no need to kiln dry as it would just pick up moisture anyways. Kiln drying would be for indoor applictions.

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Dale Hatfield

Ive put white pine lap siding right off the mill . sawn at 1/2 thickness. no lap sider attachment needed. Saw corner boards at a full inch.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

flip

I base my opinion on the logs that I've sawn which were from 14"-24" diameter.  Every sassy that I've cut has had some form of heart rot.  Must be an on the stump thing.  Never seen one with bugs, just nasty heart rot. 
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Frickman

Sassafrass is alot like locust. It will rot on the stump, but will weather well when dry. The old timers used to use it as fence posts, it doesn't last as long as locust, but will outlast oak. I think that sassafrass would make real nice lap siding.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!