iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skin Reactions From Birch??

Started by treenail, June 17, 2008, 08:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treenail

Have any of you out there had any skin irritations, or resperatory problems from working with various birch woods? Black, Yellow, White? Was turning a very large , black birch bowl that was mostly reddish, with a lot of interesting figure in it  a few weeks back, and developed a real nasty skin irritation that itched pretty bad from it. Checked a list of toxic type woods, and found that birch has a moderate irritant factor with it. Surprised me after cutting a lot of it for years now on the sawmill. Guess I'll stick to maple, and cherry bowls from now on.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

SwampDonkey

It wasn't spalted was it? I would have thought birch was one of the most inert woods used. I know it can be a respiratory irritant from the fine dust. My source doesn't mention skin rash.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,8085.0.html
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Yep, I've never heard of birch causing skin irritation either.  That's one of the reasons it's used for toothpicks and popsicle sticks.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

lacapic

I know you specifically asked about birch, which I have no knowledge of any reaction, but I do have a friend who developed a serious reaction to working with oak. It affected his breathing. He now works with any other species.

TeaW

I have been selling firewood for over 30 years  and twice I have had request's that there not be any birch because they where allergic to it . I think they had been tested for it .
TeaW

treenail

Since posting , I have also talked to a logger that used to sell birch bolts to a commercial turning mill, and said that in the summer, they slowed way down on buying . The reason was that the workers were claiming that the birch was making them sick. On the question about spalting, now there was a very slight spalting to the bowl blank I mentioned. Could be the problem. Will certainly keep the respirator handy for birch in the future, and keep on the long sleeves.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Thank You Sponsors!