iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chimney caps

Started by mountaineer, June 17, 2008, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

i need to put a cap on my chimney and i have been looking around at other peoples caps on my drive to work. does anyone have the cap that has a top that turns whichever way the wind is going. i have heard these cut down on certain downdrafts. also, where could i get one? and do they work well?  thx andy

olyman

some people around this area have used the old caps they used on chicken houses--they would turn with the wind--and were about 9 in inside dia--

isawlogs

I don't have one of those , on the house we have metal four sided caps with spark aresters . On my shop in Chelsea I put up a stainless steel cheminy but had no cap ...  I improvised one  ;D  Alls I had was a old 1 ton cheve truck hub cap . A few rivets and straping later , we had a cap for the cheminy  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

Marcel finally found something good to use a chevy for. :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

logwalker

Quote from: mountaineer on June 17, 2008, 07:11:36 PM
i need to put a cap on my chimney and i have been looking around at other peoples caps on my drive to work. does anyone have the cap that has a top that turns whichever way the wind is going. i have heard these cut down on certain downdrafts. also, where could i get one? and do they work well?  thx andy

We had one as a kid and it didn't work well. We took it off. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Warbird

I've never heard of a cap like that, Andy.  I'm thinking about taking the cap off of mine this winter.  I'll leave it on until the roof has a good covering of snow.  My thinking is that removing it will improve the draft a bit and reduce creosote buildup at the top of the stack.  Do you guys think this will be the case?

mountaineer

i'm gonna drive down the hill and take a pic of the cap. i cannot find one on the net(and thats not usually the case)

mountaineer

here are two pics of what i am talking about. the top turns with the wind. do these work well?

beenthere

I've been led to believe that they do not work well on a wood-burner chimney, but can work for a vent. Apparently the pivot point gets sticky from creosote and doesn't allow the top unit to turn away from the oncoming wind.
But have given it serious consideration.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I'm thinking chimney caps for wood stoves are overrated and am considering taking mine off.

Andy, I've never even heard of a chimney cap like the one in that pic.  It's pretty interesting looking!

olyman

Quote from: mountaineer on June 18, 2008, 09:51:19 AM

here are two pics of what i am talking about. the top turns with the wind. do these work well?
THAT--is exactly what i was talking about--and friend next town over has used one that way for the last 20 yrs--and no problems--but he burns his wood hot-----

Thank You Sponsors!