iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Cherry?

Started by Brad_bb, June 17, 2008, 04:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

If you were interested in Cherry wood, for boards or maybe TF braces, what type of Cherry tree would I buy?  What specific kind?  I'm in mid Illinois, which probably isn't the native area for them...but if I wanted to plant a few...what variety would grow to size etc like I've seem some pics of on this site?  They probably wouldn't be big enough in my lifetime, but for the next generation...
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ron Scott

Black Cherry from northwestern, Pennsylvania
~Ron

SwampDonkey

We have black cherry up this way to. But, ours is badly infected by black knot so you only get short pieces, occasionally a decent one can be found. I have used a few local cherry with good results. But for kilned cherry I go to the lumber broker nearby in Woodstock. They get it from PA as well. I have a number of trees in my back yard, but they are nothing to brag about because of those infections on them. They were growing up in the apple orchard with some other wild hardwood seeding in. I left the better ones among the hardwood and removed the old rotten apple trees. Then I also planted yellow birch in the voids and I have a lot of spruce seeding in as well. I'm trying to help the woods take over some of the lot because I have no means to keep it cut and hogged.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

The big cherry trees you see are black cherry (Prunus serotina).  It's native to Illinois.  The reason some of them get big with excellent form has more to do with site than with genetics, but there are some improved-genetic cultivars you can plant.  Proper pruning and maintainence will promote good form in any cherry trees you plant, however.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

IL Bull

Wild cherry grows good in central IL.  Fench rows seem to be a great spot because the birds poop out the seeds an they take root and grow :P.  Check fence rows for seedlings and transplant them where you want them 8).
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Brad_bb

Thanks all.  I'll get a few and see what happens.  I currently have one mature Black Walnut in the yard on the farm, and have been transplanting seedlings from it to the back pasture the last few seasons.  I've not seen any wild cherry in my area that I know of.  There is a cherry in the front yard that my grandma had planted maybe 15 years ago?  It may be some type of ornamental, not sure.  It's currenly 4 inches in diameter and about 25 straight feet high, and has never had any visible cherries that I've seen, though I am sure it is a cherry.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!