iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What have you found on your property that shouldn't have been there?

Started by maestro, June 17, 2008, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestro

Ok, after watching a rerun of CSI Miami that was focused on pot growers out in the boonies, got me to wondering what you all have "found" on your property that shouldn't have been there.  Old stills, cars, funny plants etc.  Just curious...
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Modat22

nothing yet but I try to keep an eye out. Those meth labs are a big thing in my area, last thing I want is one of those or anything else setup on my property.
remember man that thy are dust.

tcsmpsi

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

BBK

Stolen cars, stripped for parts. Stolen motorcycles, stolen 4 wheelers, campsites full of beercans and trash, even found a new Sthil 028 farm boss saw one time. The idiot had been steeling firewood and had left the saw, gas and oil for when he came back and got the second load. (I gave it to the sherrif, guy never did get it back)
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Too bad you didn't just turn over only the gas and oil to the sheriff, huh?
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

isawlogs

Leaving it all there and spiking the gas comes to mind  >:(

I find pot plants allmost every year , to bad the 70's are over  :-\ :D :D
A tree stand once in a while , take it down leave a note and bring it in the barn . Some have come to get them , some must of forgot where they put it  ::) :) or had to much of the above .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

scgargoyle

So far. we've found a lot of old car parts (too rusty to use) including a surprising number of gas tanks that floated down the hill. There is also the remnants of a wooden structure that simply looks like an old pier, with old telephone poles for posts. They still have the numbers nailed on them. I don't know what the structure is for, being many miles away from any water ???
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

jeffreythree

About 100 old rail track sections from when they decommissioned the rail by me about 30 years ago.  I kept a couple and sold the rest for scrap,  about 75,000 lbs worth.  For some reason it was about 100 yards up in the woods instead of near the old rail line, and the old owner said there is another pile in the bottom of the old rail pond.  Its like insurance, if the pond leaks enough to drain I can sell the scrap iron to pay for the repairs. :)
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

SPIKER

it seems I find all kinds of stuff , every time I hook up the finish mower and sharpen the blades on it, I'll find something that just appears out of no where.  last one was an old shock from a car. !  so far I think I've busted up 5 or 6 spindles in as many years and 3 or 4 times as many shafts & blades. :( >:( :o   Once I did manage to find ~40' of 3/8 chain then I HAD to drag it back to house through the property, couldn't carry it lol

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwingOak

When I was a little kid and we first got our farm, we kept finding farm equipment as we cleared the fields out. It was all pretty old horse-drawn stuff: a hay rake, two double share plows, a wind-rower, manure spreader, and a John Deere #1 sickle bar, with a short 6' bar on it. We actually fixed it all up and used it - all of it. Imagine our surprise when we learned that JD still made parts for the #1 - and the one we had was dated 1898. We didn't get a baler until the third year we were there, we put hay in stacks in the fields, and also put loose hay in the barn.

Sure it took two people to cut hay, because we towed it around with the tractor, but we sure cut a LOT of hay with it, and for many years too.

When my wife & I first got our current house, which was built around 1800, I found a slate mantle piece - very Victorian looking too. It was buried about a foot down next to the house. I found it while I was planting a holly, and next thing I knew my hole had to be turned into a trench in order to get it out.

LeeB

3 bottles of nitroglycerine :o :o. Called the sheriff and all kinds of folks showed up, Homeland security, BATF, Hazmat, and Fire Dept. along with the sherrif.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don_Papenburg

Footprints from my copper wire that must have grown them overnight and just walked away.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kansas

Found a mountain lion once. According to the State of Kansas, it wasnt supposed to be there. Guess I need to inform the mountain lion.

Handy Andy

My name's Jim, I like wood.

zopi

Groundhog...

chink! <pow!>

uhh....nevermind...groundhog carcass..

He was a particularly stupid groundhog...his burrow was right in view of my bedroom window...darwin was right..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Ditto what Danny said – PEOPLE.

One time I was coming down off the mountain after deer hunting all morning and here was this young man sitting on a big rock in the Lotus position, humming away.  It was all I could do to keep myself from sending a 3006 rifle ball over his head.  I did inform him that being on other people's property in the middle of deer season as not a good idea.

Bruce

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

Deer stands.  Went from home made, nailed to the tree, jobs to a very nice tree lounger.  The TL was in a tree with the No Hunting No Tresspassing sign on a post in plain site.  I guess the perp thought I wasn't serious...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

breederman

I found a case of beer once.  I destroyed the evidence! ;)
Together we got this !

zopi

Quote from: OneWithWood on June 18, 2008, 01:41:12 PM
Deer stands.  Went from home made, nailed to the tree, jobs to a very nice tree lounger.  The TL was in a tree with the No Hunting No Tresspassing sign on a post in plain site.  I guess the perp thought I wasn't serious...

Wrong sign...trespassers will be violated...survivors will be euthanized...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Timburr

No pot pots!   We do have an aeroplane wheel that came off a crashed WW2 Vickers Wellington R1491.  Normally the military clear up their crash bits and I can see why they left the wheel.   It's firmly wedged in between 2 boulders, each the size of a house!

About 10 year ago, we had a spate of calf carcass dumping in the wood.  >:(
Sense is not common

Greg

Not my property, but when I was a teenager I worked for a local park/golf course doing seasonal maintenance.

One of those duties is to unload all the trash cans and general cleanup around all the camp sites.

Trust me, you do not want to know about the details of the campground litter I routinely had to pick up off the ground that summer :-X

Sounds like a new thread, "Dirty Jobs of Forestry Forum members". Whoops I think someone already had my idea. :)

Greg

Norm

Under a wood pile out back of the saw shed. Mom was a stray that I got rid of not knowing she had kittens.

We've been feeding them with an eyedropper.

Thank You Sponsors!