iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Backhoe king pin dilema

Started by flip, June 16, 2008, 10:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

My parts guys here at work and myself included, have been pulling our hair out looking for some king pins and center pin for our old allis chalmers backhoe.  I can get pins in kit form from our heavy truck stock but the pins are the only thing I can use.  The bushings in the kit are too thin, bearings are too thick and none of the other parts are of any use.  My cost is $170 :(, basically for two two inch pins that I have to cut off to fit then try and find some bushings and bearings.  Any good places to look?  I need to get this thing back together and get in the woods to kill harvest some trees.  Tried all the local NAPAs and other auto parts stores, a few tractor stores-no luck.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Tom

The swing pins and bushings on my Ford 555A were made and replaced by a local machine shop.   If you have a good machine shop handy, try them.

Mine had to be center drilled, heated and pressed, a task I couldn't do myself.  The machine shop did all of the work and , I found out later, would have come to the house to do it.

johnjbc

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRHM
I ordered bushing and pins when we rebuilt the bucket on my 977. They have hundreds of sizes. I would call them 1-800-645-7270
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

flip

Thanks for the link.  The last place that rebuilt the FE on this thing 10 years ago used regular 2" stock, not hardened so everything wore out way too fast.  Hard part is finding bushings, worst comes to worst I'll suck it up and buy the pins in the kit and try to find the bushings.  We have all the reamers and what nots here, just a matter of finding the stuff without breaking the bank.

Fla._Deadheader

Bearing supply houses have access to all sorts of bushings. I know a guy that put new bushings into worn out holes, on the lift arms of a Cat 966 loader. Used that Liquid steel stuff. Can't remember the name, offhand. It comes in pint cans. After it was hard, you would not believe how strong that is. As far as I know, it's still holding those bushings tight.

He just packed it tight around the bushings, right in the arms, with the bucket and pins all in place.

Clean the arms with Brake Cleaner or whatever, so NO oil or grease is on the metal.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Faron

Wehr welding, Otwell, IN.  Norb can make the bushings if needed, I bet. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

SeeSaw

Had that same dilemma on my old Ford Backhoe about 12 years ago.  Did the same thing Tom did as I could not find any to buy anywhere.  Got lucky cause we have a machine shop where I work and the price was really right!!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

flip

We have the metal and I have the time, just no mill or lathe  :(

Tom

My Machinest heat treated (hardened) the pin too.  I wish it was  a really good deal, but it was a little on the expensive side when I started turning my pockets inside out.  :D   I can't rememer for sure, but it seems I was charged $850 and tax for the two pins, bushings and installation.  Still not bad when I found I couldn't do it myself.

Fla._Deadheader

Gonna have the same kind of thing myself, in a few days.

Just bought the Pins, Bushings, Bearings, shims and miscellaneous parts, to re-do the Articulating Joint on a Cat 920 Loader.

This oughta be a fun deal.  ::)  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Burlkraft

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on June 16, 2008, 05:41:59 PM

This oughta be a fun deal.  ::)  ::) ;D

If it was easy...anybody could do it   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dave Shepard

FDH, you know DanG well you wouldn't enjoy it if it was easy. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

Might could need the camara on this project, reckon,  ::)  ::) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

jesse

www.ExpanderSystem.com

seen a display of them suppose to be able to replace pins on equipment with them
probaly expensive too

flip

I stuck my neck out a week ago and got ahold of a company that sells the parts and service manuals.  I got them last night and of course headed for the bathroom for an intense reading session  :P  It has the exploded pics. with all the part numbers I need, now the problem is finding some one that can actually order them.

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

flip

Found 'em 8)

Joe Money Industrial in Atlanta.  They have everything I need....but.  The center pin, which is about 12" long 1 1/2" diameter with 2 snap ring groves  and 1 greese fitting on the end is $389 :o.  It is as much as all of the other parts combined.  I hope it was a typo, either that or the thing is made out of hardened UFO metal.

thecfarm

I bet it's a typo too.Should be $489.  ;D ;D ;D    I know I'm no help.It's outrageous,but how long will it last?That is the only way to look at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

flip

If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have been so liberal with the torch a week ago. ::)

OneWithWood

You should know better than to be 'liberal' about anything  :D :D :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

flip

Yes, I know.  Every time I am liberal it costs me dearly. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!