iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DEAD OAK

Started by tomtrees, June 16, 2008, 08:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtrees

I am looking for a bit of advice

I have got the chance to take down an old oak at a client's house. The tree is dead and the top completely gone so only the stem is left, the roots are lifted up and it is propped in another tree the out side is pithy and it is about 2 feet DBH. I would say it has been that way for 6 years.

I would like to mill the wood up into timbers straight away could any one comment on the likely state of the moisture content.

Am I wrong to think that the wood would have dried enough to use out side?

WDH

It is likely that the wood, even the heartwood, is riddled with insect holes at this stage.  There may be issues with strength.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Timburr

If the tree is a quercus robur, the common European oak, it should be fine to mill.  It's certainly worth a try.   I've successfully milled oak logs, when the sap wood has completely rotted away, maybe 8 to 10 year old.  Just had to cut 40cm (16" for non-metric associates) from each end, due to severe checking.

You'll be able to determine it's condition when the rootball is cut off.

Moisture content is difficult to quantify.   Oak, in log form, seems to hold onto it's moisture too well.   There will be variable wet and dry areas on each board milled, if the log has been dead as long as you say.  Depends on the final use.
Sense is not common

WDH

Tomtrees,

I did not notice that you were from France.  Bonjour, mon ami!

I am not familiar with your oak species, so disregard what I said.  Insects may not be a problem in your situation.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tomtrees

Bonjour WDH

The Oak will be Quercurs robur or rubrur (red oak). I picked up a lump of oak in simillar condition at a show and there were a few worm holes but on the hole not that many in the heart wood I have had it in the garage 9 months and it has bowed a bit.

Timburr "Bore da"
I will cut the tree of the stump to day and see what its like inside.

bck

If this is the same red oak as we have in the USA I wouldnt use it for anything outdoors, it rots fast outdoors. White oak would be a better choice for outdoors.

Thank You Sponsors!