iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatsit

Started by Woodwalker, June 15, 2008, 05:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

Any idea of what it is used for?

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

beenthere

Can't tell for sure how sharp it is, as it appears to be for splitting wood.

If real sharp, is similar to a knife blade used to gut deer. Blunt end keeps from piercing internal parts when slitting the belly, and cutting the diaphram and windpipe/food pipe.  Sorry if that is too descriptive.

But might be a splitting froe, and works by hitting it with a maul.  With that handle, not a good way to steer it through the split...but then, that may not be necessary. Not sure why the curved end, unless it is a wedge for starting the split.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodwalker

The thing is homemade out of an old flat file. The blade is about 5" long and the the handle is a file handle. It's not sharp and I don't think it ever was very sharp. So far, no one I'v asked around here has any idea.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Brad_S.

It looks like the tool they use to remove slate shingles for replacement, but usually they're much longer.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

thedeeredude

Looks like a small brush hook/fascine knife.  Similar to this    http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=757

zopi

I'd say it's farriers hoof pick/knife..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

sawdust

could it be for splitting willow to make rattan chairs and stuff?

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

tim1234

Almost looks like the knife they use to pick grapes, but you say it was never very sharp so that blows that idea ???

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

LeeB

My first thought was a carpet knife.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

I think Zopi's got it right. Looks like the one's the farrier's around here use.

Burlkraft

Looks like what what my Grandpa used ta clean his toe nails    ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

Well , it does look like a farriers knife , but , a farriers knife is bent at the tip upwards . I have a few here will take the camera with me and take a few pics of them . Might be it was not finished  ;) it only needs having the tip curved over .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

That wouldn't work as a hoof tool as the tip is wrong. Those hoof tools come in left hand and right hand models and the blade is bent into a spoon like shape with the tip bent around in a hook. The hoof tool is used to scoop out the underside of the hoof so the animal is walking on the outer hard part of the hoof.

At first I thought it was a tool I've seen used to hook nails and pull damaged wood shingles, but I think those are longer and more flexible.

Not sure what was made to do.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SamB

It's made similar to a tool that is used to peel the outer covering off a communication/electrical cable, however I don't think the handle would stay on for that application. Maybe it's one of those whatcha-ma-callit tools :).

Mr Mom

My dad has a whole bunch of thoes it is speical tool 496  :) :) :).
I have no clue.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

isawlogs

Here is a pic of a Farrier knife ( well two knives in a pic  ;) )

Might be a crooked knife in the making ...........  one that was used to carve , I have one here someplace , they are used in the making of snowshoes among other things .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

KGNC

My grandfather use to have a shoe shop and had a similar tool for splitting leather. But was sharp.

SeeSaw

Nose hair Remover 8)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

little Bark

If it is made from an old file,  machinest are famous for just making a little something to do something.  Just because we can.
Always use the rite tool for the job.

Tom

I've seen tools similar to that used by linoleum installers.  Kinda like a banana knife.

John Bartley

I would have guessed that it's a knife made by a farmer for cutting baling twine when out feeding the livestock. The blunt end won't cut anything so you can carry it in your pocket and the hook reaches into the bale, snags the twine and cuts it without having to dig into the bale to grab it by hand - this would be especially advantageous in the winter  or any other time when you're wearing gloves.

that's my $0.02

cheers eh?
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Tom

That's a good guess.  8)

Shotgun

Quote from: John Bartley on June 16, 2008, 04:30:05 PM
I would have guessed that it's a knife made by a farmer for cutting baling twine when out feeding the livestock.

That gets my vote.  Good job.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

At quick glance I would say it's a home made radius scraper for turning bowls on a lathe, only the second picture it looks like it's sitting face down. For going inside the bowl and making a rounded over lip on the rim of the bowl. The factory ones are not so strongly beveled, but all you are effectively using is the leading edge of the scraper. Files are used a lot to make home make turning tools. I have not made any myself, but knew and old timer who was always improvising, even made his own reversible lathe.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

About 20 years ago (boy, that makes me feel old  :o :-\ ) I "invented" in my head, a plastic knife for cutting twine. It was about 8" with a slot and it would have used a utility knife blade. Would have been safer than using a pocket knife, especially as you were walking balancing along a 4" wide manger cutting the bales. Not long after those little letter opener things came along that were almost identical. Another $1million opportunity missed. ::) :D :D

I don't have any idea what it is. I like "one of a kind machinests specialty tool, purpose long forgotten" ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!