iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pine pitch

Started by Splinter, June 15, 2008, 04:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splinter

Had some white pine milled up and its seeping some pitch.
How long before the pitch stops coming out of the wood? It will not be painted or sealed.
Kiln drying is not a possibility.

Thanks.

SwampDonkey

Until it's kilned. No kidding I'm afraid. If you use it for molding and paint or treat it, it will eat through the knots in the boards.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zackman1801

you can set it out and wait like some of the smaller mills do, but it could take up to 6 months to wait for, but then it will still absorb the moisture from the air if its humid or it rains. 
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

SwampDonkey

I had some setting for 3 years, it still weeped through knots. Ya gotta set the pitch to a crystalline form I think

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

It all depends on the size of the pitch pocket ...  :-\   I have some post that support my garage that are still weeping , five years later . It also depends on the thickness you had it milled , thicker will take longer to weep out and dry up . 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Splinter

Thanks for the feedback,
Was going to use it for some picnic tables & seats..... Guess the kids are getting a new fort.

zackman1801

well at least you know that the napkins wont blow away on a windy day :D
maybe  you could put on some lacquer on it to make the pitch not come through, but maybe it would get through that idk?
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Tom

You can stop some minor bleeding with shellac.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on June 15, 2008, 07:12:15 PM

It all depends on the size of the pitch pocket ...  :-\

resin/pitch canals. Tiny little pores that bleed pitch.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Splinter on June 15, 2008, 09:02:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback,
Was going to use it for some picnic tables & seats..... Guess the kids are getting a new fort.

Your gonna be loved with all those pitchy hands and clothes to wash. ;D

Splinter

Quote from: zackman1801 on June 15, 2008, 10:28:56 PM
well at least you know that the napkins wont blow away on a windy day :D

Now thats funny :D   

Cedarman

Put the pine boards in an attic or someplace that it will get very hot. Leave them there for a couple months if possible.  This should set the resin good enough. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don P

I've been using the owners sauna at work for some white pine that I needed to push through ;D 3% per day and got it to 150* for hopefully long enough to drive off all the volatiles that would vaporize at up to that temperature. The attic would work too if the wood does not see the attic temperatures in service. A few years ago I resawed some pine beams in an old cabin. I had laid a few boards in the sun and some sticky droplets formed on the fresh surface. The wood was 160+ years old.

Phorester

"well at least you know that the napkins wont blow away on a windy day"

Or the kids.

As far as building with the white pine, I know that when when using any type of pine for interior trim it should always be shellaced as Tom says before painting to prevent the knots from bleeding through the paint.

Thank You Sponsors!