iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting the elusive Michigan Pudding stone

Started by Jeff, June 14, 2008, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Are these stones worth money to collectors? Or are they collectable?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 09, 2013, 05:38:35 PM
Or are they collectable?

Did you really just ask that of me?  ;D smiley_sidelightbulb

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on August 09, 2013, 08:41:25 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 09, 2013, 05:38:35 PM
Or are they collectable?

Did you really just ask that of me?  ;D smiley_sidelightbulb

That was sort of a dumb question. But since all we have in the south is Kidney Stones and I've never seen a pudding stone, I just thought they may be a rare stone.  :)

SwampDonkey

I think they are definitely salable stones. The key is to get the 'right' one(s) for sale. Poston, I may have mentioned it before, but there is a pudding stone set as a corner stone on the Geological Survey of Canada head office. Where my friends live just north of Jeff's woodland property, in Sault St Marie, Ontario they collect them around there as well. One Island in particular. They are not collectors like Jeff here though. They just think of them as curious rocks. ;) Jeff has gave me a few. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Today my friend and Neighbor Joe Wade went on a pudding stone hunt. I was after little ones. I did okay. Not all officially puddingstones, but mostly conglomerates. :)

WmFritz

Good hunt there Boss.
Do you sell em individually or by the pound.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

Yes, I like the small ones.  8) I still have mine here Jeff. I recently had to store them for awhile since I'm relocating for an indefinite time. But they will be right here at the farm. Someday I will return 'home', the farm that is.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff

Quote from: WmFritz on May 18, 2014, 08:02:05 PM
Good hunt there Boss.
Do you sell em individually or by the pound.  :)

I'm not a seller. I'm a hoarder. :D

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

There is a guy in Wolverine with a sign by the road with them for sale.
It makes me think of Jeff's collection I saw at the Pig Roast.
Just like money in the bank.  ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

cnewbykkn

Jeff, was nice chatting with you today.  Hopefully we can meet up sometime for a hunt.  Here are a few pics of one of my favorite stones and the journey to get it unearthed!

SwampDonkey

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cnewbykkn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 15, 2017, 06:22:26 AM
That's a beauty.  :)
Thanks.  8)

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 15, 2017, 06:29:32 AM
So what are you going to with your rock?
I have no plans for it right now, it currently sits in front of my house with the rest of the puddings.  ;D

Jeff

Those red ones are half again as heavy as the white ones.

cnewbykkn

Quote from: Jeff on February 15, 2017, 08:47:52 AM
Those red ones are half again as heavy as the white ones.

Absolutely.  Most of mine are of the white variety.  It looks as if the pink/red stones are much more dense as if the matrix crystallized much more.  Here is a dirty picture of that stone and what I mean(I am no expert on the subject).

Jeff

As I get older, puddingstone hunting gets so much easier. I have so many of them around here now, that as my memory fades, it's like finding them all over again without leaving the yard, or house for that matter. :D

ToddsPoint

I live near the terminal moraine of the Wisconsin glacier in south central IL.  The glacier brought down huge amounts of rock from Canada and other points north.  I find pudding stone all the time.  I was told at the U of I geology dept. that the pudding stone is one of the oldest rocks in N. America that can be found at the surface.  Largest one I've found was about 6" across.  I also found a 2" long Petosky stone.  A Corps of Engineers lake is 2 mi. from here where I hunt and when they lower the water level in winter (right now) the beaches look like rock city.  I was involved in experimental archaeology for many years and worked rocks like pudding stone, diabase porphyry, ferruginous quartz and many others into axes, celts, banner stones, discoidals and pipes.  If I could figure out how to post pics I'd show you some.  I'm a primitive.  I can work rocks but have problems with computers.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

cnewbykkn

Here is a smaller one I worked on a while to polish up and show the kids.

SwampDonkey

There is even some sky blue in that one. Awesome mix of colors.

Jeff

i got a chance to tromp around in my puddingstone hunting areas this past Saturday.

Ljohnsaw

Cool!  What is that one on the right side of the 3rd pic?  Looks like coral or maybe a fossilized brain :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

That was the first stone I found that day. It's pretty awesome.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!