iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canning

Started by LeeB, June 14, 2008, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

crisp

I missed a part of the recipe, you have to rinse the cucumbers 3-4 times after soaking in the lime solution.  I edited that back in.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Look at the recipe in the knowledge base for Green Tomato Crisps.  the similarity is uncanny.

Dan_Shade

we're canning the uncanny!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

Huh, I thought uncanny was when you opened the jar and eat whats in there.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Foran's canned waxed beans reminds me of mom's mustard bean pickles. Although, I don't care much for canned beans by themselves. However, my mouth is watering for some mustard bean pickles right now.  Nice with a roast of beef. I could eat the whole dang jar. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

We decided to make something different. Right now Michigan Peaches are ready and you can get over ripe bananas for 29¢ a lb so we thought, Hey! Why not try it?  I forgot to take a picture before I had ground up all the bananas but one in the blender.  I told Burlkraft I going to try Banana Jelly and he said he didnt think that sounded good. So, we added about 5 peaches to the mix.  Taste tests of the 300° Jelly has been delayed for a bit. I've got some extra that was not enough to fill a jar cooling. I'll let ya know how it tastes. I'm thinking its goona be good!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Your going to put Gerbers out of business if you keep it up. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

those aren't over ripe bananas!  They are just where they taste good!

Jeff

That's what I think too Dan, But that's not how the Fruit Market sells em. Actually they are perfect.

By the way, the Jelly is very good. :)

LeeB

Let us know how well it holds it's color. i suspect it may darken real quickly. Sounds good though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

LeeB,  I will do that. I dont think that the color will change though. I know what yer thinking, the nanners. But I think going through the process of becoming jelly and the heat involved to do that, probably has already changed the bananas as much as they they will change.

Jeff

Yep, even I can make these and THEY ARE GOOD! From Cucumber to Jar, these Bread and Butter pickles only take about 15 minutes.  This batch I used bigger horizontal slices. Normally on a bigger cucumber I would quarter length wise and then slice. Slice em like ya like em. :)

2 cups cucumber slices
3/4 cup onion

MIX:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinigar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp tumeric

Poor mixture over cucumbers and onion and mix.
Place in Microwave for 3.5 minutes
Remove, stir well, return to microwave for another 3.5 minutes

Put in Jar and refrigerate. 

EAT!

Norm

I have always just put up veggies in the freezer but after reading this thread I ordered an All American Canner from Amazon. What really sounded good was Roxies' comment about putting up soup. Something about a hot bowl of soup on a cold fall evening that just sounds delicious. Roxie do you have any favorite recipes that you'd share?

We are getting a bumper crop of tomatoes this year too so I'm looking forward to making up some sauces to can also. If anyone has a favorite to share I'd appreciate it.

LeeB

Hey Jeff, I just looked at the nannajam pics again and noticed you had the jars upside down to cool. I don't think Lindy does this. Should she be?

Roxie

My favorite Vegetable Soup canning recipe is from Ball's Blue Book (use fresh raw vegetables or frozen), and makes 7 quarts (or 14 pints):

1 1/2 quarts water
2 quarts peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes (about 12 large)
1 1/2 quarts cubed, pared potatoes (about 6 medium)
1 quart green lima beans (or substitute green beans)
1 quart cut corn (about 9 ears)
1 1/2 quarts sliced carrots (about 12 medium)
2 cups sliced celery (about 4 stalks)
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
salt & pepper to taste

Add water to vegetables and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.  Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1 inch head space.  Process pints 1 hour, quarts 1 hour 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. 

To can meat sauce for spaghetti, lasagna or casseroles (makes about 3 quarts):

5 pounds ground beef
2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)
1 cup chopped green peppers (about 2 medium)
9 cups cooked or canned tomatoes and juice
2 2/3 cups tomato paste (about 24 ounces)
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp minced parlsely (fresh is best)
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp orgegano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
2 tbsp cider vinegar

Brown beef, add onions and green peppers and cook slowly until tender.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer until thick enough.  Skim off excess fat.  Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1 inch head space.  Process pints 1 hour, quarts 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. 

To this recipe, I usually add minced garlic (about 3 cloves) and a teaspoon crushed red pepper.  Having your own canned meat sauce is a great way to get a spagetthi supper on the table in 15 minutes. 

And here's one last tried and true recipe from Ball for Beef Stew w/vegetables(makes 7 quarts):

4 - 5 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
3 quarts cubed potatoes (about 12 medium)
2 quarts sliced carrots (about 16 small)
3 cups chopped celery (about 5 stalks)
3 cups chopped onions (about 4 small)
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

Brown beef in oil in stew pot.  Add all other ingredients and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Ladle hot stew into hot jars leaving 1 inch head space.  Process pints 1 hour 15 minutes, and quarts 1 hr and 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. 

Say when

Norm

Don K

LeeB, When we can we always turn the hot jars on the tops for a few minutes and then flip them back over. It won't be long and you hear those happy pings of sealing tops. I was taught to do this, don't know why except maybe it makes the tops really hot and the slightest cooling causes a seal.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Norm

Well the tomatoes are really coming on strong so we're trying to store as much of them as we can to last through the winter. Today we are making batches of Charlie's salsa.

Good stuff!

Roxie

Norm, that salsa looks so good, I'm inclined to drive to Iowa, but I guess it's gone by now. 

I spent the day in the kitchen yesterday, and here's a picture of a heap o' jam. 

There's strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry.  A lot of rain = a good berry season! 
Say when

zopi

Did 12 pints of salsa the other day..cheated with the green beans..froze them...just started one half gallon jar of refrigerator garlic dills this morning, but I bet I have four gallons before the week is out. and my neighbors are sick of cucumbers.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Modat22

Canned some squash this weekend using Balls sandwhich pickle recipe subbing squash for the cucumbers then on Sunday pickled as many beets as I could. More of the same planned next weekend.
remember man that thy are dust.

Patty

Wow, you all are way ahead of me! Roxie, your berry jams look delicious! I replanted my strawberry beds this year, so we will not have any home grown berries this year to speak of. Hopefully next year.  ::)   

I have zero luck with raspberries. It seems all the wild raspberries in the ditches carry a virus or fungus or something that immediately kills any domestic raspberries we plant. I planted some aronia berry bushes this year in hopes of some jam next year. Hopefully they will survive through the winter months. Our peach trees survived the winter, but just barely. We won't be getting any peaches from them this year, but I am sure happy to see them alive. Many folks in our area were not so lucky. We did lose our cherry trees, though, and will be starting all over with them.

This weekend I am making jelly from the last of our berries in the freezer.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

rickywashere

was reading and thought i would throw this in the best way to do green bean is get them ready as normal ... stick them in a oven  2 1/2 hours middle rack let oven cool remove and you have the best looking beans you ever seen . the added bonus is you can get wayyyyyy more jars in the oven and the canning goes quick

iffy

We're going to try the oven method on tomatoes tonight. Gal here at work says she's been doing hers for several yrs that way. For tomatoes she puts them in for 1 hr at 250 degrees and then leaves them in while the oven cools down. Sure should be a lot less messy than the water bath.

beenthere

I'd suggest doing some searching of canning methods for different foods.

At this site,

http://www.uwex.edu/news/2003/7/its-canning-season-time-to-update-your-recipes

I found the following:

Quote-- Oven canning, where jars of meat or bread are placed in a hot oven and baked for a period of time before the jars are sealed. This method leads to under-processed foods, with a high risk of botulism poisoning. Oven canning has never been recommended.

Apparently depends on the acid content of some foods, as to what one can get by with. Green beans are said to need more than just a hot water bath, but a pressure cooker as well. That is how we do them, but hot water bath for tomatoes.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!