iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rail road ties

Started by 9shooter, June 10, 2008, 12:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I read with interest some recent articles about how the countries rail system is in serious need of upgrading.
You might think that with the emerald ash borrer laying waste to Michigan's ash forest that there might be a steady supply of ash logs suitable for railroad ties. Is ash suitable for ties? I am clueless as to what species of trees ties are made from. I would guess that oak is used more often and ash is real similar...........
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Ironwood

I think they use just about anything, then saturate it with cresote.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ron Wenrich

Its only been recently that they started to buy ash in our area.  They have a big tendency to split when the spikes are driven in.  They are using those joist plates on the ends of the ties, which hides a bunch of defect and lessens the likelihood of splitting.

They wouldn't have gone to ash if there was a ready supply of ties in other species.  Norfolk Central has upgraded a lot of their lines and are still buying plenty of ties out of our area. 

Species and sizes are pretty specific to different areas. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

cantcutter

Around here the tie plants will buy anything as long they can get a 5x9 out of it.

Ironwood

I have several hundred used ones up in my field (use them to stack pallets off the ground) and they seem to be everything under the sun. Certainly Ron would know as he is in the business.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WH_Conley

Here they will take everything except Buckeye, box elder poplar and sycamore, course no softwood species.
Bill

Southernlogger007

I haul a lot of white and red oak logs here in the south that are used for ties.

Dave Shepard

Welcome Southernlogger007!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southernlogger007

Thank you Dave.I'm glad to be here. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!