iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And the rain came . . .

Started by OneWithWood, June 09, 2008, 10:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

My area of Indiana got more rain than needed.  7-10" in about 45 minutes Saturday morning.  This was on top of some serious 2 and 4" rains on Wednesday and Friday.  Our basement flooded each time becasue the ground was already saturated from the wet spring and the earthen and block wall I constructed to divert rain water from the house was undermined by chipmonks and voles.  The water hit their tunnels and just bypassed the little dike like it wasn't even there  >:(

The storms were accompanied by tornadoes and heavy lightning.  I took a short walk in the woods yesterday to assess the damage.  I did not get very far.  The access road was very soft.  The water bars I installed did thier job for as long as possible but became compromised by flowing silt so the roadway will need to be regraded and rocked.  The three culverts where the road crossed creeks all became plugged and washed to various degrees.  I was able to open small holes to allow the streams to pass through the culverts for now.  More storms are predicted for tonight and tomorrow so I need to get out there with a shovel and axe and get the culverts completely cleared this afternoon and evening if at all possible.  It is too soft to get a hoe to the culverts so it will get doen by hand.  I will be getting my exercise for sure.

Pics will be forthcoming once I dry out.

Many fellow Hoosiers in surrounding areas are far worlse off than I.  My heart goes out to the hundreds, if not thousands, that lost everything to raging flood waters as rivers crested to flood stages not seen since 1913 and a couple dams breached.  Many of the area dams are weakening.

Have any other forumites suffered during the recent outbreak of nastiness?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Coon

All I have to say is: Where is your canoe when you need it?  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jeff

We've had tastes of it here as well, but nothing as severe as that Robert. We have had probably 4 or 5 inches of rain and more storms supposedly coming this afternoon. Tornadoes and high winds yesterday in the county. We have had no damage really here at pigroast central.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

here in maryland, it's probably rained 10" or so in the past week, but our terrain handles it pretty well here, it just flows out into the watershed without much flooding.

had lightning hit a tree beside the house the other night, took out a bunch of stuff, but at least the house didn't catch on fire.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Faron

Robert, I have been wondering about you.  What you are saying adds credence to reports I have been hearing of 16" since Wednesday in Bedford.  All that water is headed our way via the East and West Forks of the White River.  Thank goodness we have no river bottom land, but many of my neighbors who do will lose their crops, and most likely will not get it replanted this year.  The White at Elnora, Indiana is expected to exceed the legendary 1913 flood.  Since it did not rain down here, they are not yet talking those levels by the time it gets here, but there is heavy rain expected tonight. It is pretty warm out there.  Better be careful and not overheat the engine on that Kentucky backhoe. :o 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Cedarman

I'm just about 60 miles south of OWW and we didn't get but a few drops.  I was just about ready to water some veggies, but the rain tonight should do the job.  Bedford is only 40 miles north of us.  Strange how rain can stay in a band and not move for hours.  OWW, hope everything turns out ok for you.  I have 4 kittens that could be trained to catch chipmunks and mice and voles.  There parents do a fine job in that area.  I know they are hard on the chipmunk population near the house.  Anything to help. ;D ;DFarmers looking for a windfall for their crops have to be frustrated.We live on the 3'd highest ridge in 50 miles, so if we get flooded Noah has already set sail in the ark.  We can get some wind though.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

CLL

Its rained about every other day here in central Missouri. My sump pump comes on about every 5 minutes all day long. It's raining again, and according to the weather man it's supposed to rain 3 of the next 5 days. I wonder if Cedar makes good boats? >:(
Too much work-not enough pay.

olyman

cause of the fun in iowa--i just took 6" of water on my shop floor--fun--- >:( >:(

Warbird

Y'all stay safe.  We'll be praying for you.

sawguy21

I just watched the news. Holy Crappola. :o That is nasty, I sure hope our friends are o.k.
It is raining hard here too, I just heard thunder yet it has been unusually cold for this time of year. Global warming be DanGed ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

That is too bad.I've been reading about it in the paper.You are all in my thoughts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

David Freed

I live 6 miles from Elnora, and 3 miles from Newberry. Elnora was advised to evacuate at 6:30 tonight. The river runs west past Newberry. The levee on the north side there blew out today. There is about 100 yards gone and growing. the levee about 2 miles south of Newberry is starting to go in one spot that I could see. It will probably blow out before morning. You can see about 1 to 1 1/2 miles of the levee there and the water is going over the top as far as you can see. One storm after another keeps coming. Its thundering again.

Roxie

Last night the news showed some of the flooding damage in Wisconsin.  Showed a house getting carried away by flood water.  Wow.  I hope y'all stay safe. 

Right now, we're caught in a heat wave.  Five days in a row at 100+ degrees.  Only two weeks ago, we were covering up the vegetables because of frost threats.  We went from unseasonally cool to unseasonally hot. 
Say when

RSteiner

We could use a little bit of that rain here in the northeast.  I was listening to the radio on the way into work this morning and the report was that a river in the area of the heavy rains was running 16 FEET above flood stage.

That is a lot of water.  :o 

I hope you folks get a chance to dry out soon.

Randy
Randy

JV

Here in northcentral Indiana the rain has mostly been a problem for planting.  I have a saw job I'm trying to finish in between thunderstorms.  Coming home the other night, I was just ahead of high winds, a possible tornado, and very heavy rain.  The next trip through in daylight I saw some damage.  On our last trip to southern Indiana to visit Faron, we ran into flooding.  Southern Indiana has been hammered with storms the last couple of years.  Our hearts go out to those affected.  Some people have been hit a least twice in the last year with flooding.  The loss of home and personal belongings is unimaginable.  Be careful you guys.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

OneWithWood

I did my best to open those culverts  help_me

Could not get the openings very clear.  The water is still flowing pretty strong keeping the silt suspended which made it impossible to see into the water.  The culvert mouths are plugged with good sized branches and a web of smaller debris.  I kept thinking of how Melvin(?) was able to clear a culvert on the Axe Men with his machine.  Too bad I don't have something like that.  Once the water velocity drops and the road dries out a bit I will have to beg, borrow or rent either a mini-excavator or a backhoe to clear the debris.  I will need the machine to restore the washed out roadway above the culverts anyway.

It seems humorous now but was not exactly funny at the time - my buddy Chester, the black Lab retriever with a one track mind, was faithfully accompanying me while I was attempting to open up the culverts.  Everytime I would toss a bit of tree branch out of the way he would dutifully retrieve it and drop it back into the creek.  If he did not feel I was paying attention he would drop it directly in front of me which put it directly back from where I had just extracted it.  It took a while, but he wore out before I did.  Of course an hour later he was all set to do it again and I was wondering how a body could be so sore  I'm digging a hole

Dave, are you still dry?  Elnora looks like it is in for a rough couple of days.

Faron, how did your neighbors fare?  A lot of farmers here had trouble getting seed in the ground due to the wet spring and just when it seemed they got it in under the wire the fields are under water.  I doubt there is much point in trying to replant the corn at this stage.

Pics are still in the camera.
One With Wood

Furby

I passed through some of these areas on Monday and again yesterday.
US-31 at the I-196 junction South of Holland,MI is still closed due to flood damage.
There were entire fields under water Monday, and the water was just below road level North of Holland.
And the main soil in that area is sand, deep sand. :o

Southern MI and Northern IN weren't anywhere close to being as bad from what I saw, but after passing by Indy and shooting South on I-65, it was REAL bad!
Lots of VERY large lakes where there had been fresh fields not long before.
Can't remember the name of the river or exactly where it was, but White River is jumping into my head.
It was HUGE, water every where. It had receeded a fair amount by yesterday afternoon, but was still waaaay out of it's banks.

zopi

you guys can send me some of that....we're begging for some moisture...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Patty

And we are still getting rain...

It is flooded all around us. Our fields are underwater, bridges are washed out, roads are covered with rushing water, and towns are being evacuated. It is real bad.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Roxie

I sure wish there was something I could do to help.  The weather map for your area is listing road closures, and it would be a much shorter list to say which roads are open.  If  you can hang on, the weather for tomorrow calls for partly cloudy.   ::)

Stay safe!   
Say when

Tom

Stay home and make bread, Patty.  :D   

I do feel sorry for all of the folks that are flooded out.  Water is as bad as fire when it comes to losing your heritage items.   Safety is the most important.  If everyone will just pay attention and not take unnecessary chances, at least they will be here tomorrow.

Y'all be safe, ya heah! :)

OneWithWood

Patty,
Glad to hear form you!  Stay dry.
As I watch the weather patterns roll through the midwest I think about all the forumites in harm's way.  What crazy weather we are experiencing.  It seems like the upper air flow is behaving as it normally would during the winter  >:(
I am sure many farmers are taking it on the chin.
One With Wood

Faron

I will try to post some river flood photos tonight if I get in at a somewhat reasonable hour.  The East fork of the White was not as high last night as I actually expected it to be.  The crest at Petersburg is supposed to hit 27.5 feet.  That is just a little below the Jan 2005 level, which is the highest I have ever seen the river.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

limbrat

Oww it may be late but we have had good luck clearing culverts by sucking a old tire throught them with a winch. Float a rope down to pull your chain throught the culvert and pull the tire up stream. Leave a long enough tail on it so you can pull it back through for another run. Its not fun or easy but it usaly does a preaty good job.
Try to keep any open cuts out of that water or atleast fill them full of a topical antibotic and cover them as best you can. High water can carry a lot of nastys. Best of luck.
ben

WildDog

QuoteLast night the news showed some of the flooding damage in Wisconsin.  Showed a house getting carried away by flood water.

We were eating dinner and saw the same footage on our news down under, thats serious flooding, take care, keep safe.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!