iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Went for a ride on the two tracks in MI

Started by Reddog, June 08, 2008, 09:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog

Okay, a few of you know I like to beat the two tracks.
Yesterday I rode from Higgins lake to Fife lake using the two tracks.
Sorry I am not any good at taking the time to take pictures.
But I did see two Whitetail fawns and many doe's that looked like they had little ones close.
It had down poured all night. So no dust and the sand was fairly hard.
Anyway here are the pics I took from crossing the Manistee river.

When I got back to the truck in the afternoon, a guy rides in off the trails with three boys ages ranging 13-8.
Talked to Paul and his boys long enough to get my neck sunburned. :D
It was fun to see the young guys having so much fun. His oldest climbed on his WR450 and took it for a spin own the trail. Now anyone that knows dirt bikes knows a kid can't climb on one and go. So he would do a running mount. And to stop he would swingover onto one side and just as he stopped step off. Pretty fun to watch.

As I take pictures on other trips I will add to this thread. :)

tyb525

Ahh the fun of dirtbikes! I have a an '03 XR400  8). Just about perfect as a trail bike. Fits me just right since I'm tall, but can be intimidating for others  ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Reddog

Well for the Forth weekend we went for a ride in SW Mi on some two tracks one day.
Met up with a Husband and Wife team and convoyed over from the mid part of the state.

Another layer for the cool morning

Sand sucks on a BMW boxer.

Some nice views.

Taking a break after some sand.

The one guys wife followed us over on her sport bike. Then left the boys to play.
Here is what happened
QuoteFrom DentedVW:
Had a good time riding today, but two of us didn't enjoy it as much, one of us had to have the bike trailered home.  :o
Yellow SV dug a trench into a ditch around lunchtime, but not because she was riding trails with us. Slipped into a corner, eh, it happens. SV is damaged, but probably can be saved.
Believe it or not, we then rode two up on the TW200 that reddog brought. It performed well beyond my expectations the whole time, what a cool bike! Pretty comfy seat too, but perhaps my wife could tell you how comfy the rack is.  :D
Qeulis came with the round the world bike, but the sand proved to be too much for the michigan roads tires. Ah well, next time hopefully.

Dave Shepard

I had a Suzuki DR650, wish I had it back somedays. Tons of fun.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Reddog

Sunday we went for another ride and had a new dirt rider with us.

Meeting in the morning

We must have started to early. :D

The last rider showed up.

All in all a fun day. 8) 8)

Mooseherder

Looks like another River crossing only blue-er. ;D
Nic pics and looks like alot of fun.

beenthere

In the last pic, are those the ones who just made it 'cross the river.....or the one's turnin around to go back.. ??? ??? ::) ::) ;D ;D

Is there any significance to the variety of colors in the clothes worn on these bikes?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

Quote from: beenthere on July 16, 2008, 06:59:56 PM
In the last pic, are those the ones who just made it 'cross the river.....or the one's turnin around to go back.. ??? ??? ::) ::) ;D ;D

Is there any significance to the variety of colors in the clothes worn on these bikes?  

Just stopped to look at the lake.  :D

Just a hodge poge of cloths for most. Pax has a nice BMW touring jacket and pants on. There is soft armour and wear points built in.
He is the one on the orange KTM.  :)

Reddog

Here are a couple more.

Berry picking at a break.

Me

New rider having fun getting out of town.
8) 8) 8) 8)

Reddog

Well Pasbuild, I made sure and took your advice. Had my camera ready for two fun spots today.

First is the guard showing how not to go through sand. We stayed back and watched. They get grumpy when you try and get to close for pictures.  :D

The next are what happens when you do not have the speed to make a hill. Mike was having fun. And I keep yelling words of encouragment from a far. ;D

Here is a view we found.

Taking a break.

We were close to Higgins lake starting the day. ;)

tyb525

Looks you guys have alot of fun in some scenic country.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pasbuild

Thanks fer the pics Wally, nice ta see the guard has time ta play in da sand to ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Reddog

So I went up to Big Bay and rode for three days on my own, and then meet up with pasbuild for a day over at his friend Stan's camp.

Big bay overlook.

Yellow dog river

A Reddog

Headed to Dead river basin.

One of many road blocks

Finding Stans camp

Headed to lake michigamme

Around thru Craig lake

Big Erik

Total for the day 1

Day 2

arriving Dodge city

Lots of logging going on.

Some Bear tracks to boot.

A ruff cabin and a nice cabin ;)

The RR cut and walking out to where to old tressel started.

Roland lake

Who would know what this leads up to?

It was hard to find with all these working the area.

Ask pasbuild about going up on of their tracks. :D I had already had my fun that day. :-X

Total for day 2

Day three was riding the Burma trail to champion. i do not even have enough pics to do it justice. Mostly because my cameria did not work real well after the mud bath :D

And here is the one that got me.
Most had only been shallow holes, this one swallowed the front tire and was all mud on the bottom.

I was now soaked to the waist and boots full of water/mud.
I tried emptying out one boot and could not tell the diffrence. So I didn't bother with the other one.

After an hour with a hose I got most things clean enough to wear the next day when I meet up with pasbuild.
Sorry this is where the pics end. It rained on us all day.
I will let pasbuild add to this now.

Wally

Raider Bill

WOW! that looks like a great ride!

Those dirt bikes make my ankles hurt just looking at them though.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

Looks like a great time Reddog.  Nice Cabin too! ;)
I knew it looked familiar.

tyb525

pasbuild

Hey Reddog  I thought ya might like ta see what the inside of dat tree ya found looks like

Thanks ta the picture loadin fer dummies thingy that da boss fired up I AM NOW ABLE TO POST PICS 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reddog

Looking good. 8)

You are a dangerous man now. :D

Mooseherder

8) 8)
Talent and armed with a camera. :D

Jeff

I've been real hesitant to declare the new upload thing a success UNTIL NOW!  If Thee Bob got photos on here, using a new system, without any instruction, then we gotta say the thing is an improvement. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pasbuild

Yes sirree the fact that I was able to upload pics speaks volumes for the simplicity of the new picture loading thingy ;)

Burlkraft

Congrats Bob  8)  8)  8)

Them bowls are beauties  ;)  ;)  ;)

That's some awesome wood
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Reddog

Well a couple of us decided it was time to get out of the house.
We went to Newberry and road.
The trip consisted of riding from Newberry to the mouth of the Two Hearted to Pine Stump for lunch, then over to Grand marias.
At that point we had been rained on all day. All of the trails were ice also. So we headed back to Newberry.
So to sum up the day, we where stuck in ice and snow and sand, and had a great day.
Sorry not to many pics. It rained to much to get the camera out.

Reddog

Well I have been doing some riding this summer. But not much picture taking. :-\
But thought I would share a ride from Sunday.
We, being two friends of mine and I decided to go ride the Tin cup single track trail by Luther.
Turned out to be a nice day considering the forecast. 60's and had rained the night before, so no dust and only a little mud.

As we were unloading and getting ready to go a group left ahead of us, consisting of a Father Son pair and a friend.

I just ran sweep as I am a steady speed rider, meaning not fast but can cover a lot of ground. As I came around a corner I saw one of the riders from the first group alongside the trail. He was moving around fine and not flagging me down, so figured all was well. A 1/4 mile up the trail I pass the son parked alongside the trail and figure he is waiting for the stopped rider, quite common to see.

As I round a corner one of our riders is down in the corner, nothing but a normal drop. As Rob is getting his bike up and going I hear the kid coming on his 2stroke. I flag him and he slows down fine and stops for us to get going again. As we take off he is running right behind me. So as courtesy to a faster rider, in the next double corner I pull over and flag him past.
Instead he stops, asks me if I have seen a Suzuki 125. I say I saw a Suzuki next to the trail back a ways. He is quizzing me on the riders clothing colors. I tell him sorry I wasn't paying that close of attention.
At this point I can tell by the tone of his voice, he is upset. He is saying he doesn’t know where his dad is.
So I ask him, do you want to follow me for a while and see if your dad is at the next crossing? I get a quick YES.
So he follows me about a ¼ mile and I see his dad and my friend Josh stopped and talking. I pull up and let him know that it seems one rider may be having bike problems and that his boy is a little shook up. He kind of ignores the part about his boy, I make it a point again.
He asks Jr what is wrong, Jr gives him a what for on how he didn’t know where he or his dad where, and where their friend was. Then he seems to calm right down.
Dad assures him that he is doing fine. We say our good bye and head out while they wait for the Suzuki.
Later on we have just made a nasty sand hill climb and are setting at the top talking to some other riders that where going the opposite direction.
We hear bikes coming, Josh is running a helmet cam and we wait to see who it is and how the climb goes for them.
It turns out to be Dad and Jr, Dad runs right up it stops and says he had better watch Jr. Jr makes it about ¾ of the way up and gets stuck on a root. We get him the rest of the way up and he seems to be having fun now.

We rode the rest of the loop. As we got into the parking lot and where getting out of our gear, dad and Jr pulled in. As they were getting loaded up it was fun to listen to Jr, he had seemed to forget the beginning of the day and remember all the fun he had.
The Suzuki had some problems and had to turn back to the truck. Happens to everyone at some time.

Sorry for the long post and no pictures. But it was fun for me to see this 12-14 year old gain confidence by the end of the ride.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!