iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vintage McCulloch

Started by TblRxDave, June 04, 2008, 06:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TblRxDave

Air temp today peeked at 90 with 86% RH. I don't have my summer hardiness up to par yet.  I decided to work on some other neglected projects, like cleaning out the basement. Nice and cool down there. Anyway I came across my old McCulloch under some boxes. Outta-site,outta-mind. The last time I ran the beast was back in 1983. Man that thing would cut, but way too heavy. Replaced it with a new Farm Boss, which I still use regularly to this day. My question is this: Is there a market for this old saw,or is it boat anchor material? I was thinking that it might  be worth a couple Gallons of gas to keep the sawmill going or a kilowatt for the air conditioner. Any thoughts welcome,Dave.

Tom

It's great as a collector's item.  If you don't want it, it would make a super Christmas present for one of your friends that is into collecting chainsaws.

Urbicide

Neat looking old saw. What model is it? Do you have the rest of the starter? Send me a pm if you would.

mike_van

From the looks of that tiny muffler, I'll bet that saw really barks! 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Al_Smith

It'd hard to say what model that thing is but I assume one of the "1" series .

Mac couldn't seem to make their mind up what to call them.Some times a 250 ,some times something else . That stub spark arrester is typical ,it isn't a muffler .

If you look at the numbers stamped on the bottom of the stuffer box it will kind of give an idea of what it actually is .

Is it worth much,no .A collector might be interested but they made millions of these things which are tough as nails and seem to run forever .

They are heavy ,loud and powerfull but they are not lightning fast. That said though they have cut up zillions of board feet of lumber and countless mountains of firewood in their history . One of the icons of chainsawdom,so to speak .

ADAMINMO

That one is similiar to the one Tom_in_Mo has in his office. He found his in his barn. Runs good too!!!

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TblRxDave

I'm trying to ID the saw, but can't find any numbers. I'm not sure what a 'stuffer box' is. I removed the air cleaner cover and found #HL87C stamped on the carburator to engine flange. So where else do I look? My dad bought the saw used in 1963 if that helps. So far it's been labled a MC200,I-71,I-91, and I-40.
Can we solve the mystery?
Thanks, Dave

Al_Smith

I'd show you a picture if it weren't so difficult to publish on this website .

That said the stuffer is a block that is on the crankshaft portion on the engine or in this case towards the foward portion of the saw,away from the end that holds the spark plug .Those numbers can be viewed by turning the saw upside down and looking at the portion between the actual engine and the oil tank .One side contains the build code and the other is the engine family . The engine family portion could be several saws this same engine or at least the block was  used on .

Tom

That's alright.  There is no sense in your cluttering up your picture gallery with one picture. 

Al_Smith

Quote from: Tom on June 06, 2008, 02:21:48 PM
That's alright.  There is no sense in your cluttering up your picture gallery with one picture. 
Well,since you brought it up just how does one get in this picture gallery per chance . There must be 6 or 8 forums I post on and only this one is different . ???

thecfarm

I will defend the posting pictures thing.There is a "help" button on the top that will explain how to post a picture.Reason being it's a "differant" is that the pictures will always be here.No dreaded red "X" in years to come.Probaly the forums you post in,if you go back a year or more the pictures are gone.That's why they have to go into a gallery.Once posted the pictures cannot be removed from your gallery.The downsize helps people like me on dailup.My wife belongs to a few forums.They don't have the picture size limit and it shows on the download time.There is alot to posting a picture here,but it's well worth it to learn.Now I can go right along and do it.Someone will gladly help you if you have trouble.Most times the trouble is right in front of you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 07, 2008, 02:46:20 AM
Quote from: Tom on June 06, 2008, 02:21:48 PM
Well,since you brought it up just how does one get in this picture gallery per chance . There must be 6 or 8 forums I post on and only this one is different . ???

Al
6 or 8 forums is too many forums to find time for... ;D ;D
Pics are not hard to put into your gallery, and like thecfarm says, they stick there for all to see.

The resizing routine is one that is helpful to know in all digital picture/photo work, be it sending photo's via email or just resizing ones own for archiving. The 'many' mega-pixels that today's digital cameras will rack up, are not necessary for good visual photos, unless supersize wall photos are desired, or if zooming in on a small area (such as Jeff did to identify the Little Beaver sawmill name and mfg) of a photo. But your gallery can be very easy to set up, and to get to, just by clicking on your link near your name and profile. Just resize to the pixel width/length max of 450, and then save to lowest compression.....that will usually get your file to acceptable limits for your gallery. And you will have good pics like others show in their posts. (Before resizing, zoom in on the area of the pic you want to show that is important, and crop it to remove the non-important parts. )
Hope you take the time to post a few of your pics.   We like pics......and am sure that is one thing you enjoy with this forum...good size pics with plenty of detail.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TblRxDave

Thanks Al for the ID# location. Stamped on the bottom of the saw was 1-41 and 17020. So has anyone got some specifications on this saw or where I can find them?
By the way guys,It took me awhile to figure out how to do pictures. I kept going back to the help section until I got it.

leweee

Quote from: TblRxDave on November 04, 1973, 01:15:33 PMSo has anyone got some specifications on this saw or where I can find them?

1-41 McCulloch
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TblRxDave

Thanks leweee for the specs.

leweee

Dave ....your Welcome,my pleasure.  :)

Al_Smith

Oh boy,try as I might that photo thing just chases me around in a circle and in spite of what you all may think is less than user friendly to me .

Soo,here's the deal,I'll try as best I can to discribe methods of repairing saws in text and forget about the photo's ,no offense intended  please . I'm certainly not trying to tell anybody how or what to do in regards to operating a web forum .

I guess I'm just a grease monkey farm boy type that can figure out saws but this 'puter stuff kind of messes with my pea brain .

Now,back to the subject .Those other numbers on the bottom of that saw supposedly tell where and when that thing was made .I don't know how to read them but a few do although I'm not sure if they visit this forum or not .

johncinquo

They sell all the time for $35 to $65 depending on the specifics.  I had about 40 old macs at one time, then started selling them off here and there and now am down to a dozen or so, depending on yard sale season, after having a "Robert Frost" moment.   

I just picked up a truck bed full of really cool old gear drive saws, sold most of them off already.  I like fiddling and checking em out, but want to keep "collections" down to a minimum now.  (OK I kept 2 just out of necessity) 

I would seriously doubt that would have a stuffer.  Thats more for kart racing engines, and cost $100 back in the 70's. 

Let me know when you wanna race that beast!   Nothins more fun than a couple yellow beasts knawing through some logs.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

ely

the picture we have of it hurts my head just looking at it.
man those were some loud saws.

Al_Smith

Oh they really aren't any louder than a modified saw. Never the less a good set of ear plugs or muffs are recommended .

Thank You Sponsors!