iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning Struck Pine

Started by Mooseherder, June 02, 2008, 06:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

We had quite the Rain activity with lightning this afternoon that hit one of our trees and one of my neighbors trees.  My daughter was home alone with our little dog and said it has never been this close before.   I'm not sure which one got hit first but his was the tallest one.  Mine was alot smaller with much bigger trees around it that didn't get touched.  We musta got the ricoshea....eh? :D

This is above the worst of it

My hitch-hiking air plant is laying on the ground....poor fellow. :(
You can see it in front of the tree.

Kevin

That roadside ditch may have been a contributing factor.
The roots likey extend towards the ditch where the ground is wet .
Lightning is always looking for the best path to ground.

Tom

I've had very few pines, with damage like that, to live.   Best get the chainsaw ready and be ready for the needles to turn yellow.  The bark beetles will come running pretty soon, I expect.  Look for sawdust at the base of the trees if they attack them.  Running the outside of the tree like that, it might have left the inside intact.

Mooseherder

I was afraid of that Tom.  Glad I didn't rent the Stump grinder yet. :D
Already have about 25 stumps to grind from when they were bent over from the winds.  The beetles got them too. :(

thecfarm

I've last many of my white pine to lightning.Everyone else has thier land cut off and my trees stick up there like a magnet.Sometimes there are only pieces left and sometimes the tree is left standing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!