iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marketing

Started by Tom, June 02, 2008, 02:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

A shopping channel is selling a 17" long by, what looks like, 1 1/4 thick piece of cedar for $36.95 + 6.95 SH.

How much of that do you reckon is profit?

ellmoe

What is it, a fish grilling board?

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

Yeah, but, they're cooking lots of different stuff on it, Beefsteak, fish, etc.    MIght be time to introduce a sledge-a-matic.  :D

flip

Well, lets see.  Land owner sells the tree to logger, logger sells to mill, mill sells to china to be processed, china sells back to distributor, distributor cuts deal with media relations group that markets it on tv program (of course they get a percentage of sales).  So it looks like china makes about $50.00 and the rest is subsidized by the government for 5% profit. :-X
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Sprucegum

I tried to get into one of those Shopping  Channel deals one time. They told me if I wanted to retail my product for $29.95 my cost-of -production would have to be less than $5.00. then I could glean $3.00 profit and the rest, of course, would go to them  :o

Cedarman

Several years ago I was making a shoestand for a catalog company.  I got $9.00, item sold for $29.95   I made about $3.50 profit per item.  A competitor started making them for $6.00    I am a believer in getting my price and I am happy.  You can charge whatever you want and if you make a million bucks per item, fine.   I may negotiate a little harder next time though.

That cedar plank should make for some million dollar trees out west. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

metalspinner

Just last night my wife read me an ad out of the William Sonoma catalogue for cedar grilling planks.  A set of four is $14.  Each one is about 1/2 BF.  These would be a pretty good item to sell near campsights.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Fla._Deadheader

Just so's y'all know, Eastern RED CEDAR is NOT used in cooking. The Oils will
contaminate the food, and people with allergies could be severely affected.

In the Sebastian-Vero Beach region, there is a form of Cedar, that we did use for supplying a Restaurant.

The stuff y'all are seeing advertised, is, WESTERN CEDAR.  :)

Google Salmon Plank Cooking.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ellmoe

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on June 03, 2008, 08:45:13 AM

Just so's y'all know, Eastern RED CEDAR is NOT used in cooking. The Oils will
contaminate the food, and people with allergies could be severely affected.

Harold, I had a Florida restaurant chain try to order a pile of red cedar for grilling planks several years ago. At that time I had never heard of such a thing . I declined as I didn't have the cedar. I didn't really think about the flavor. Might have been rather distinct! :o

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Fla._Deadheader

Yes, and it could have made some customers sick.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Cedarman

Over the years I have had several people want to buy cedar for cooking planks.  I always ask people what they will be doing.  It helps me help them get what they need.  I hate to lose orders, but I also want people to get what they need, so I point them in the right direction.  Eastern Red Cedar and Western Red Cedar are alike in name only.

I get people wanting 1x8x12' all red and clear.  I don't remember seeing one of those boards ever. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

Cedarman, I knew a fellow, before he died, that HAD those boards. He got them from 1 place, in Florida. I sawed a couple of his logs, that were from upper sections of the trees he cut those boards from. And, they were 1 X 12's , 12 feet long.  8) 8) ;D ;D  YUP, my Son saw them too. IN FLORIDA.  ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Western red cedar has a sweet smell to it as does yellow cypress out there. The yellow cypress smells almost like peeled parsnip to me.  ;D

Sometimes when red cedar is bundled and shipped there is some yellow cypress in the stack. Seems to me that would be a real prize even if I only ordered red cedar. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!