iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Load of Solar Dried Cypress

Started by JackLeg, June 01, 2008, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackLeg

Took my first charge of 7/4 cypress out of my solar kiln this past week.  It had been in a total of 31 days and came out absolutely great!  Very little checking, warping or bowing.  MC was from 12 to 20%, very usable for what we build, outdoor furniture.

Put in about 450 bf of 1" cypress boards.  Hoping they'll get to the same MC in 3 weeks or so. 
Then another load of 7/4 cypress.  After that, we've got some nice wo that I suspect will be a different story! :-\

Thanks to all who answered questions, gave me advice etc.  You have all been helpful. ;D

Hokiemill

Jackleg, that's fantastic news!  I made a mistake on vent positions for my red oak so things are going slowly but I hope the pace is about to pick back up.  Pictures are what makes us all very happy.  I'd love to see some of the kiln, the lumber, and the end product.

JackLeg

Pulled the load of 1" boards after 10 days of sun.  Had just a few boards over 20%, but we needed the lumber for projects.  Most was 12-17%.  No measurable checking, warping, or bowing.  If I sound pleased, I am.

Yeah, I've gotta break out the camera and post some pics. 

I remember when I was at VT this spring, Dr. Bond, (Brian) told us he just loads up the oak and closes the vents completely, and lets her run.  I have a load of WO ready to go in after the current load of 7/4 cypress comes out.  I'll probably learn some good stuff then! 

Thank You Sponsors!