iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dagenham diesel

Started by bandmiller2, June 01, 2008, 07:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Picked up more circular saw machinery,included is a ford power unit with a twin disc clutch.The engine is a 6 cyl. british dagenham diesel couldn't find a plate on the engine.Anyone know anything about this engine. [i know parts are hard to find] Continental baking co. used alot of them in their route trucks.I'am told their used as marine engines and thats the best scorce for parts.Thanks Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Timburr

A lot of different model diesels have come out of the Dagenham factory.  From what I can gather, I presume you're talking about the 6D.  These were commonly used in a whole myriad of industrial applications including, as you say, marine.  Be aware of marine motors.  They share only a few parts that are common with industrial engines.  Do you have Fordson Major tractors over there?  Some have the 6D.  They are also to be found in Yale loaders, Kockuums forwarders and Thames Trader trucks if you have them there.

If I remember correctly, the engine no. is on the top face of the cylinder block or on the timing cover (sorry it's been a while)  If it can not be found, there will be a casting number on the side of the block.  This will give a model type to give us a little of something to go on.  It should read 2###E.  Identifying the motor type is key.

If you succeed with the numbers, I might be able to do a search from my end.  Good luck!!
Sense is not common

bandmiller2

Timburr,thanks for the information,don't have it home yet.It has spent its life under cover and was running fine when they quit using the chase #1 mill due to a rotted foundation.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Timburr,got the old dag home,the number I found on a machined surface upper right side is S-543009. The guy i bought it from said his father [a diesel mechanic by trade]overhauled it in the 80's and they never used it much just farm boards and oak surveyer stakes.It cranks over good has compression but the priming pump must have a bad diafram won't pump fuel.correction it has a rockford clutch.Frank C.

ladylake

Frank  If the priming pump your talking about is on of those that you push in and out by hand they never seem to work untill they get fuel in them,on the trucks and tractors that I own. I've been installing those squeze bulb primers like on a boat on my stuff, they work great.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

steve I know what you mean with the little plunger pumps.this engine has a conventional fuel pump mounted on the simms injector pump with the little handle on the side to pump. I may just cut to the chase and put a electric fuel pump.Frank C.

ladylake

Frank  I'm running a electric pump on my mill, it works great. Keep in mind that they need to be mounted near the level on the fuel in the tank as they don't lift to good.  Mine is about 6" above the bottom of the tank, whem it was mounted on the engine 12"  above it wouldn't work.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Started the old Dag. yesterday I'am very pleased with how it runs.After scraping 50+ years of crap off it I found Tags the one on bell housing [ford industrial engine type C3PY-6006F serial no. 543009] .Numbers cast in head 510E-6050E     FL.Would guess its about 100 hp.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Steve, those electric pumps sure make it easier to bleed the air,I've got a good one S/W HD marine diesel model.Frank C.

Timburr

Ah ha, 510E-6050-E is definately an old 6D.   330 inch3.   You're spot on with the 100 hp.

This BLOKE seems to know a lot more than I've forgotten.   He has included some links that might be worthwhile to persue.  Also, try Googleing 510E-6050-E.

In a previous life, I used to work as a mechanic at a forestry machine workshop and they never ever throw away a w/s manual.  On many occasions they've let me troll their literature for information.   We used to work on a number of 6D powered machines, the info. is there.  So, if you need specific engine knowledge give us a nod and I'll call by.

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

ladylake

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 07, 2008, 06:26:43 AM
Steve, those electric pumps sure make it easier to bleed the air,I've got a good one S/W HD marine diesel model.Frank C.
They sure do make it easy to bleed, I,ve run out of fuel, put some in and let the pump run a little and it starts right up.   Steve

bandmiller2

Tim and Steve thanks so much for your help.Interesting reading ,what did we do before the internet ??

bandmiller2

Timburr,A fellow I work with has a lobster boat with a ford lehman diesel his engine is newer but his manual includes the 330ci engine ,copied all the specs and important stuff.But to any diesel mech worth his salt the old Dags are pretty simple.Oh yes we have fordson majors and dexta diesel tractors here a good scorce for most parts also found a local industrial dealer pricey but can get anything. Frank C.

Timburr

Yes Frank, the ol' Dags, as you call them, are pretty much fool proof and run forever, it seems.

Now that you have a scource of ingredients and the mechanical dissection knowledge, you need this bloke no more.  :D   Joking aside, if you're still stuck at anytime, give us a nudge.

A little trade tip for you:-  When the rocker cover gasket goes to leak and it invariably will, glue the gasket underside to the cylinder head with strong adhesive.  Leave the upper side "dry".  This stops the soft gasket composit from squashing out when the cover is tightened.
Sense is not common

bandmiller2

Tim,is a Dorset just the 4 cyl version of the dagenham or something different??The smaller bakery delivery trucks had the dorsets.The Dags were smooth compared to the dorsets,they would almost shake the truck apart.Had to chase one on the road one day driver said starter spins but the diesel won't start.The starter had rattled loose and was hanging by the wire grounded agenst the frame spinning.They are quite rare over here.Frank C.

Timburr

Frank, there are 2 models of the type you bought, the 4D and 6D.  The Dorset is a later model, which again comes as a 4 or 6 cylinder version.  The Dorset was then replaced by the Dover.

I've never considered the Dorset 4 cyl. to be a particularly 'rough runner'.
Sense is not common

Dave Shepard

Speaking of diesels from across the pond, I was a bit south of you on tuesday bandmiller2. Went to R.A. Mitchell in New Bedford to get a rebuilt Lister. Never been to a sea port city like that before. Came out of the diesel shop and somebody had spun the bridge around sideways in the road. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

My first dose of diesel lust was for a british Blackstone one cyl. diesel with the huge flywheels everything on it was polished, as fine as frogs hairs.I was young just bought a house, young family,a texas oilman bought it.                                                                                                                                       Tim come to think of it those 4D's were added to a truck that was ment to have a longer engine they had a wierd cantilever front engine mount.That was probibly the reason for the shaking.The Dags were mounted in a good sized truck with a 5 speed trans with fifth over,all in all a well designed set up ,they drove well.Later the Dags were replaced with a 4-53 detroit diesel also a good set up drove and sounded like a big rig.                                   Dave you got to watch those salors they'll try to snooker hill folks,whats the Lister for?? Frank C.

Dave Shepard

Reed screening plant. That Lister is a noisy little thing.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LEES WOODCO

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 01, 2008, 07:01:38 AM
Picked up more circular saw machinery,included is a ford power unit with a twin disc clutch.The engine is a 6 cyl. british dagenham diesel couldn't find a plate on the engine.Anyone know anything about this engine. [i know parts are hard to find] Continental baking co. used alot of them in their route trucks.I'am told their used as marine engines and thats the best scorce for parts.Thanks Frank C.

Up here in Pennsyltucky we say   "Dad gum  diesel  ! "
Down south they say                   "Dag  hum   diesel !  "
In Britian and parts there abouts  they say  "Dagenham diesel  won't start cause it's too cold  ! "
That's where it comes from.                  I think !

Woodchuck53

Morning Frank, Dave. Just got back to work and had some time to catch up. Frank have you got enough parts yet for your project? I'm trying to get back to my rebuild. Ended up doing most of the roof (42 squares on silver Galvalum on the house) by myself so wasn't able to work on the mill. Did find enough chain to get my sawdust drag strung out. Cut a good size plot of oak and 1 really big pine tree. I haven't cranked the IH-UV-549 that I bought but will soon. I think it is supposed to be a 100HP also.

Dave are you in business yet? How is the chain decks coming? I found a gear box  50:1 that will work with the right sprockets just haven't got it home yet for mine. Have a good one Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Enough parts!,Chuck I've got enough parts for three mills.Finally got the last pieces i needed the friction feed and a backup headsaw, 50" F pattern about 46 teeth. The steel carrage is complete 14' now working on the husk and the power unit.Frank C.

Dave Shepard

Chuck, I've been too busy to work on my rebuilding projects. Working full time, plus helping out the old boss doind some sawing, and probably going to be running ten wheelers on the weekend for haying season.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!