iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guys, I'd like to see your jewelery...

Started by asy, May 31, 2008, 04:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

...Boxes!

There's one piece of woodcraft that I just absolutely adore, and that's jewelery boxes. The ones with the opening doors and drawers and such. I think they're just glorious and have seen quite a few with inlay and such that are simply works of art.

I was wondering whether any of you make them, and if so, would you share your photos?

I don't have one yet, but I will one day.  :)

I have a collection of a number of boxes, but nothing nice like these.

Here are a couple of sites I found that show the sort of thing I'm talking about: Wood Alchemy  and  Boudreau
I just did a google search to find these, they aren't particularly ones that are favourites, just examples

Here's one that's simply EXCEPTIONAL...    ;)

Mind you, I don't have much jewellery, especially since last year's robbers decided it'd look better on them than me  :-\ ::)

I guess I just love the display of craftsmanship that goes into these. I was reminded of them by the 'carry-all' thread.

There were some magnificent ones at the "Working with wood" show a few weeks ago, they had big cabinets that were works of art, one was just amazing with hundreds of overlapping dragonflies carved into the lid. I wish I was able to take photos of it...  OOOH, I found photos of it on the net:   Dragonfly cabinet.

So please, if anyone's making them, I'd love to see photos.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Patty

A fine craftsman, who used to frequent the forum, made the most beautiful jewelry box I have ever seen. There are photos of it here on the forum...somewhere. I did a search but could not find them.  Perhaps a more skilled searcher can locate those old photos.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

asy

Thanks guys, if you click on the word 'exceptional' in my post, you'll find a photo of that box, it's amazing, but it's sure nice to read the story behind it!!!

You are one lucky gal, Patty!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Patty

The "exceptional" link went nowhere for me Asy. Maybe it is just me, I don't know.

I do know that the jewelry box is still as beautiful as ever. The cherry has darkened some but I keep it out of the sun to protect it.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Tom

The picture I got when I clicked on  exceptional was a nest of drawers.  Jewelry kept in that would surely be safe.  :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Brian's jewelry box is magnificent!  I've made a couple - not nearly as nice as that one, though.  Unfortunately, they both reside in the homes of ex-girlfriends, now ::).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

LeeB

This was not made to specifically be a jewelery box, but it could easily have been used for that. Lindy uses it for an overnight case.

One of my better creations.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Radar67

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 01, 2008, 10:22:03 PM
Unfortunately, they both reside in the homes of ex-girlfriends, now ::).

Just a thought DL, don't give your girlfriend a jewelry box if you want her to stick around.  ;D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dodgy Loner

Great box, Lee!  I love it 8)

Radar:  Guess they were expecting me to fill the jewelry boxes, but I never had any intentions of doing so ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Texas Ranger

Ya know, I was waiting for someone else to jump in and turn this conversation, but I guess I am the only one with a mind that sees the implications of  Asy's title.  Some of you guys don't make it any easier. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

You're not the only one, TRanger.  I chose to keep my mouth shut and watch.  A fellow could get into a lot of trouble making assumptions.  :D :D

LeeB

I don't really think she wants to see you two old fellers jewels.  :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Yeah, well, they don't make them like they used to.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Burlkraft

Quote from: Texas Ranger on June 02, 2008, 03:27:05 PM
Yeah, well, they don't make them like they used to.

Speak fer yerself... :D  :D   :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!